LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:42 pm 

I am in the process of searching for parts for a 1975 Chevy LUV stock 1.8 engine. Also the engine I have, has the domed pistons. Is there a difference in the head design for the flat top pistons that are so readily available. I was informed by my engine rebuilder that the cam will need to be replaced also. Depending on what I find in the way of pistons will determine which way the build goes. Does anyone have an opinion on sleeveing the cylinder. I know boring the cylinder is what most builders do. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:45 pm 

HEIIOOOOOOOO, is anybody out there?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:14 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I don't do stock so i can't tell you the difference in the stock piston head combo's. In general though, I have had few issues sleeving a block...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

This is the early G180 engine. We have many who have rebuilt the late G180 but I can't remember the last time someone here had a early one apart. Make sure the flat tops you found are for the early engine, I know the late one takes flat tops.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:08 pm 

Thanks for the replies. It has been suggest to use the flat top pistons and shave the head to regain lost compression from not using the domed top pistons. Here are a couple of photos of the 1975 engine. the yellow one is mine and the orange one is from off the internet. Also another configuration in the shop manual show what look like air tubes coming from out of the block leading to the valve cover. You will notice in the photo of the engine in the orange, that these tube holes have been plugged. There are no holes for these tubes in my engine block
The mystery is, are the combustion chambers the same and did the manufacturer just installed the domed pistons or is there an actual difference in the two heads.
Here's some photos so as to maybe joggle some memories out there.
Where is that dang Isuzu guru named Joe when you need him?

Thanks

Attachments:
Chevy LUV Engine DJ Build.jpg
Chevy LUV Engine DJ Build.jpg [ 773.27 KiB | Viewed 5510 times ]
IMG_2407[1].JPG
IMG_2407[1].JPG [ 1.59 MiB | Viewed 5510 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Looking at the parts manual the head fron series 1 to series 4 is the same part number. The Pistons in series 1 has a different part number from series 2-4.

As far as the holes you talk about in the block to the valve cover area, are you talking about the EGR? If so the tube is the same for all early G180's and connects to the head.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:50 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Isn't the yellow engine the later crossflow engine? The early engines have the intake and exhaust manifolds on the same side... Tiny pics and my phone may lead to confusion on my part...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

They are both the early engine just different sides. It's been since 1988 since I had a head off of a early engine but u do remember the Pistons being flat tops or possibly a slight dish.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:37 am 

I want to thank all who contributed to the input on solving the questions I had posted on the 1975 1.8 engine. The info I got from y'all together with other sites helped out a whole lot. The rebuilder was able to come up with some info on the head combustion chamber specs. It turns out that the specs are from 1973-1975. All of the parts have been located for the rebuild.
Bulletins as they occur.
Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:20 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Not sure I was able to help with the limited info I had but glad you got it figured out. When you have some time can you post the answers you found to the questions to help out the next guy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:22 pm 

Ok, it's been a while since my last post. The rerebuilt runs good (the engine was actually rerebuilt,long story). The trans. shift good and thankfully the is no noise in the rearend. Now I am having difficulty making the brakes work. Is there any pre adjusting on the front self adjusting brakes or is backing up and applying the brakes enough to set the clearance between the drum and brake shoe.
BTW, rebuilder bored the cylinder .40 and used Toyota rings. I found the oversized flat top pistons on fleabay.