LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 79 Luv Help
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:46 pm 

Recently purchased a 1979 Luv two wheel drive. Was running when purchased. Drove home( 300+ miles) when 50 miles away from getting it back home it would exceed 40mph. Then slowly gained speed and ran fine then about a mile away from home it completely died and had to push the rest of the way. Once I got it home took a look and did the basics. I blew the fuel line clean, had the alternator and started tested( tests came back perfect), tested the ingnition coil, rebuilt the carb. And still it just won't turn over. It has a new battery, new distributor cap, new plugs and wires. Not sure where else to turn. Don't think it could be anything major considering it ran a 300+ mile drive. If you have any suggestions or advice you've learn through your experience I would be more than great flu to hear from you. Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely a stumped Luv enthusiast.

Post subject: Re: 79 Luv Help
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:21 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Back to basics. A engine needs compression, fuel and spark to run. Start with a compression test and rule that out. Check spark, and then pour a little fuel down the carb. Once you figure out what it needs you can figure out why it doesnt have it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:14 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If no spark check points and condenser.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:29 pm 

I had the same issue with my 79 4WD for a couple weeks. I was ready to sell the thing and buy a newer truck I was so mad at it haha. I'm glad I didn't. The thing that was seemingly wrong with it was the two relays under the hood. They're behind a cover that is kind of a bronze-ish color. Take that cover off and tap on those two relays kind of like you would the starter (with the wooden handle of a hammer) very gently.

If that doesn't work another thing that is kind of sketchy but works is get a really thick wire, like a 10 gauge, and touch the positive of the battery to the negative of the ignition coil. That worked too after another couple weeks of messing with all of the electronics.

Good Luck!

--Nathan