LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:07 am 

Hello!

I've recently acquired a '73 Luv and i'm excited to finally join the club. (Side note: My mom had one in '78 that was washed away into the pacific ocean during a storm, found a week later, towed out and driven for another few years before selling it! :roll: ) The body is pretty good shape - all straight, very, very little rust (1 small spot) - but there are a few things I think i'll probably need some assistance with as I go.

The first questions I have are really about parts. I think i'm going to need a new radiator at some point next year and I'm not sure where to start looking. Also, this sounds like a stupid question but 3 out of 4 of my headlights are out and when I started looking for replacements online I was overwhelmed by the options. Any suggestions on what to look for (or price range) if I just want basic headlights?

The last question has to do with the fuel gauge. It doesn't seem to be working, but the little ol' man I bought this from said that sometimes it jumps up to about 3/4 full, and sometimes it hovers around E. I realize that I can just calculate how far a tank will get me, but if there's anything I can tinker with before I dismiss the issue then I'd like to try. Any tips before I jump in? Oh, how big are the tanks in these things?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. I'll do my best not to sound like tooooo much of a newb, but no promises.

:signlove

lace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:56 pm 
Addicted to LUV

A competent radiator shop can recore your existing tank ends. Buy 4 new halogens if you want to stay stock for the head lights, and you can remove the sending unit and clean it, paying attention to the float for the gas tank issue. That usually will do the trick...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:42 pm 

Excellent!! Thank you for the quick, and precise reply. I'm on it! I'm sure l'll be back at some point. New distributor cap and rotor put on today and made a world a difference, so baby steps are getting me there.

-L

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Last one i did jthat jumped around had rust on the coiled wire/ resister . I polished it with a scotch brite pad and it worked great .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:44 am 

Thanks, Hotrod! I'll definitely start there before tackling the larger task of tank removal. Oh man how I wish it was spring already...

-L

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:11 pm 
da LUV masta

Regarding your radiator, follow the link to my build thread in my signature. It lists the model number you will be looking for if talking to radiator shops for a replacement OEM one.

If I recall correctly I paid around $125 shipped but it's been a while. I found it while searching craigslist. It was a radiator shop.

Good luck,
Eric Q.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:29 am 

Thank you, Eric!