LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:29 am 

Hello everyone, I have a 79 that needs all the seals replaced and my book is still leaving me with some questions. I am still close to the beginning of the road of knowledge so please bear with me on this. For now, the 3 questions I have is: can I remove the timing cover without removing the head or must I do that first? I saw that they are bolted together. Second is must I remove the camshaft retaining nuts to take the head off, or can I just undo the sprocket and head bolts? And finally, any tips on getting enough clearance to take the oil pan off? I have already tried taking off the motor mounts and lifting the engine until it starts taking the truck with it, but I still get caught up on the hexagonal bar ( for steering I presume?). But it also looks like I get caught on something on the timing cover as well. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:55 am 
Addicted to LUV

the cam you can leave in place you just need to remove the timing set, I never had my cam out when I had my head off

is your truck 2 or 4 wheel drive? your hold up may be the two studs at the end but not sure I haven't worked on one of the 4 bangers in a while now

the timing cover at least needs the two bolts that are right by the timing set in the head, but im not sure if that will work without the head off.

what all are you doing to the engine?

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride