LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:17 pm 

Hey all I am newish to Luv's. I have a 77 stepside manual that my grandpa bought brand new in 77. my father and all 4 of his brothers learned to drive in this truck and it finally got passed down to me but of course I get the scraps lol. It ran around 12 years ago but has been sitting since. last i knew it was having fuel issues ( not sure what the issues were exactly). From what mechanics told my parents and from what I have seen when I removed the tank, apparently it has sucked up crud from the bottom of the tank and the inside of the tank looks rough with rust and gunk in the bottom. I am some what mechanically inclined and am lucky enough to have friends that are great mechanics. So far what i have on the agenda is a full tune up (all fluids and oils, spark plugs and wires), clean the carb and get a new fuel filter. My question is: is there any products or methods to clean the fuel tank or would it be easier to opt for the fuel cell and if going the fuel cell route how do i know what fuel cell will work or fit. I would perfer to have the cell mounted under the bed and keep the bed space free if at all possible. Also how would I go about cleaning out the fuel lines from the tank up? And if you have any other advice it would be much appreciated thank you and I can already tell im going to love this site!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:20 am 
Addicted to LUV

Most radiator repair shops will clean the tank. You can get a kit from Eastwood to coat it inside after it is cleaned, if they do not offer it. The stepside takes the same tank as the fleetside, if you need to scrounge one up. If you decide to do a fuel cell, it will be a custom job. The senders for the LUVs fuel gauge is a different Ohm than the ones a cell usually come with, so keep that in mind...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:06 pm 

Ok sweet thanks for the tip! Any idea where I can find a new or mos likely a used tank at? Or is it gonna be a junk yard hunt?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Check junk yards and keep an eye out if someone is parting out a truck. I doubt you will find a new one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:17 am 
Addicted to LUV

never mind.