LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:30 pm 

Hey guys just picked up a 1980 luv and im really liking it. It was non running when i picked it up and pretty ruff like most of the luv that have been siting out for years. Got the thing running and driving I just got done rebuilding the brakes and on the test run for the brakes it stopped running. I knew the carb would need a rebuild so I already had ordered a kit.

So as of now I have the is carb rebuilt but I believe the throttle linkage is some how put on backwards... I was hopping that someone can take a photo of the carb for me. (I took some photos before the rebuild but none show what I need)

I really need to see how the 2nd butterfly opens. I thought that it opened by using the vacuum but once I got the carb back on it was not opening up. The first butterfly(under the choke) works grate butterfly 2nd one is not opening at all. so if someone can enplane to he how the 2nd butter fly works I should be able to figure it out

Thanks!

And here is my truck as it sits now

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:30 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Secondary won't open until the engine reaches a high enough rpm to develop the vacuum needed. This is why when you start up a grade & floor it you often lose speed, the engine never gets to the required rpm to open the secondary.
It could possibly be in a bind or need some lube, see if you can open it by pushing on it with something like a screwdriver & lube with WD-40.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:37 am 

Ya I have revved the motor and it still does not open but could be becouse there is no load in te motor. The way I have the carb now there is a flat plate that has a finger that sits below the pin on te 2nd butterfly. The way I thought it worked was the finger keeps the 2nd butterfly closed at idle and keeps it from opening up more than the 1st better fly under load

I will try and get a photo of it this afternoon when I get home from work

Thanks for te help!