LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:36 pm 

Hello everyone, a few days ago I bought a '81 Luv 4x4 for $900. The truck has 88k miles, no rust (just real dirty), engine and transmission work fine and smooth, and a very simplified engine bay. Besides working for 2 days straight installing a radio system, I noticed my truck has a little fan on the engine with no fan shroud. The temperature gauge doesn't work, so I think I'm going to have to order a temp sending unit, but until then I think my engine has been running a little hot. Is it a necessity that I buy a fan shroud? How much will it run me? If there are any Luv owners out in Las Vegas that could tell me where to find a shroud or quick parts I'd greatly appreciate it! My goal is to at least have this truck last me for a couple years to get me to and from college, and have some fun on the side every now and then. I know my way around engine mechanics so I'm prepared to work on whatever myself. I'm also trying to find a headliner and a driver side inside door panel.

Here's a pic of him. Later on down the road I plan to redo the paint and get some Luv badges to put on him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome to the site. You may not be aware, but there were two engines offered in the '81. The shrouds are probably not interchangeable, so it would be great to know which engine you have. It's really easy to tell them apart. Only one of them has spark plugs. ;)

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:48 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Assuming you have the 1.8L gas engine a 4-blade fan with no shroud was normal for a non-AC vehicle while the larger diameter 7-blade w/clutch & shroud were used on the AC models. The fans are interchangeable & as long as the radiators are the same size so are the shrouds.
The temp sender is on the bottom of the first intake runner, make sure the wire is connected properly, it's common for them to get knocked loose or lose good connection.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:07 pm 

I have the 1.8L gas engine. My truck didn't have factory a/c, there's no fan clutch/compressor anywhere on the engine, nor is there a slider for a/c in the cab. But thank you guys for the info, I thought that there was a major major problem here. A new temp sending unit and ignition cylinder will be coming in soon, just I'm not show how easy I can get to the temp sending unit because the front diff is in the way, I'm assuming I have to use long extensions and a mirror? I just gotta get my gas gauge working again (it was very sensitive, always dipping down low when I accelerate/turn/stop) then I can start doing body work to it.