LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:31 pm 

Hey y'all,

so i have a 1980 4x4 and it was leaking from the radiator core real bad. I found another radiator in my area from a 1980 and put it in. silly me, I did not have it pressure checked. it is leaking sometimes, spraying from the core, for a little while. I'm not sure whether I should have the core fixed or really, if it's not leaking a lot, it's no big deal, just kind of a bummer.

Anyway, my Big Question is that after I replaced the radiator, thermostat, and cap, my running temp is WAY higher than usual. before, it would never go past that little tick mark (about a third of the way up the gauge) . Now its normal running temp is about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way up.

It's hot where I live (about 100 degrees these days) and I need to drive over several mountain passes (high speed, on the interstate) to get to town and to work. Usually I have to go into neutral on my way down from the passes, as it gets hot going up....
I'm nervous.

Curious if any of y'all have ideas... should I replace my temp sending unit? I am running it on just water right now but going to do a flush and put in 50/50 in a few days. (just before the switch, I was running it on just water too).

What would be the cause of this drastic change in running temperature on my gauge ?
where does yours usually run at?

Thanks for help, y'all!

-z

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:10 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

My guess is you dropped in a 195 degree thermostat instead of the normal 180 degree. Probably gave you the wrong one.
180 was common in everything back then, 195 is common now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:05 pm 

thanks for your response, it is a 180 degree therm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:22 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

At this point I would have the radiator flushed/cleaned out and go from there. When going back down the pass, where the temp gauge drops to and settles/steadys is the thermostat set point. 180 stat should bring it to the notch on the gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:30 pm 

hey thanks. yeah i'll do the flush and run it with 50/50. see what happens then. maybe there's just a bunch of junk in this radiator....