LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:22 am 

Hey y'all,

new to the LUV, new to the forum, and have a lot of questions : )

Most important right now is that my radiator core is leaking and the guy at the shop today said that they don't make new radiators for these anymore.

1- is that true?

2 - does anyone have a good used one I could buy? (I live in oregon)

3 - I'm planning on looking around junkyards and wondering if I find one from an 81 or 82 LUV, or from an isuzu pup, would that bolt right into my '80? and on the other end... would any radiator from the 70s work?

4- AND. this summer I'm planning on converting to diesel... would this new (or new-used) radiator work for the diesel motor?

thank you so much y'all!!

-z

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:20 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

The 81-82 Luv gas or diesel radiators will not work. Radiator is much wider than stock 80 luv radiator. If you are changing over to Diesel engine later the factory gas radiator will not work because inlet and outlet ports are on wrong side of radiator. I have already done this conversion and had to have a custom radiator made so I didn't have to cut up the front core support and still allowed me to use factory A/C. BeCool now has the specs and can make you a diesel radiator to fit the 80 model luv.
Hope this helps.
Mike.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:54 am 

thanks mike, that helps. I found one from a 1980 so I'm gonna order that.

but I'll need a whole new one for the conversion, huh. does everybody get a custom radiator when they convert?? Geez....

also, what diesel motor did you put in it? I've been reading the conversion forums a bit and talking to folks and there seems to be a lot of different opinions on what's possible. and everyone assumes I don't know shit cause I'm a woman....

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:34 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Woman or not knowing the facts will help anybody when doing a conversion. Any Isuzu 2.2 Diesel engine from 81-82 luv and 83-86 Isuzu pup will work. Since your Luv is a Isuzu rebadged as a Chevy the Diesel engine and trans will bolt right in. All factory mounts are the same. Only thing that changes is charging circuit in wiring harness, radiator, heater hose rerouting, and driveshaft depending on auto or stick.
My truck is a 1980 luv long bed with turbo Diesel engine, auto trans, 3:90 gears with LSD out if a 86 Impulse and dual fuel tanks with under the bed consealing the veggie oil I use as fuel. At an average cost of 79 cents a gallon to make the fuel my trip to and from work is almost free. Plus I enjoy the power of the turbo.
Mike.