LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Noobie Intro!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:08 pm 

whats up got a 76 LUV truck picked it up for a good price. no motor or trans but body is in great shape!!! surface rust but thats it nothing bad at all.

so... whats happing to the truck is this. and if any one could point me to a direction of were to buy these things i see the market for these trucks is very small...

Boosted 5.3 w/ 4L60e 700 whp hopfully
Rear end to hold that power
Front and Rear suspension (were to buy)
Caltracs (were to buy)
Is tubing needed or what the widest tire that couold be ran

Post subject: Re: Noobie Intro!!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:40 pm 
Addicted to LUV

For that kinda power u want a s10 8.5, ford 9" or ford 8.8" rear axle narrowed to fit,
The 5.3 can be found in a lot of gm trucks and cars fairly easy but if your aiming for 700hp its gonna take a 4l80e or a heavily built 4l60, a 4l60 is basically the newer 700r4 and it isnt beefy enough fornthat kinda power
Rear suspension will depend in what rear end you go with, talk to hotrod80, ben, luvtrkr and a few ofnthos guys who have track ready luvs for suspension tips, up front a lot of guys remove the torsionbars and beef up the shock yowers and run qa1 coilovers, alternative is a full mustang two front end swap... really depends on how good your fabricarion skills are and how deep your pockets are
That bumper fiberglass or just painted?
Good lookin truck to start with

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:46 pm 

Motor and trans I got that end that's what I could handle. I'm on LS1 TECH and tbssowners.com fourm ALOT! I just really don't know too much bout the luv truck so that's why I made my way over here. I'd run an 80e but since the truck will be so light the 60e or 65e should hold fine with probley a 3500 stall. But thanks on the info on the rear end and front suspension.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Wickedmayhem just broke a mildly built 4l60 with a tuned n/a 5.3 in his luv, not saying your wrong about yours surviving cuz idk your plans for the tranny but stock it will be in pieces quickly with even 500whp
I would shoot for a disc brake 9" ford rear end just so you never have to second guess it, and they are easiest to find already narrowed
Whats your budget for the build look like? The frame itself is really strong for a mini, fully boxed with some thick steel, may be wise to add some gussets and extra bracing to the front corners 600-700hp is a pretty outrageous amount of power for a little truck that came with 80hp.
Would love to see this thing do a 1/4 mile 8O

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:55 pm 

love4theluv wrote:
Wickedmayhem just broke a mildly built 4l60 with a tuned n/a 5.3 in his luv, not saying your wrong about yours surviving cuz idk your plans for the tranny but stock it will be in pieces quickly with even 500whp
I would shoot for a disc brake 9" ford rear end just so you never have to second guess it, and they are easiest to find already narrowed
Whats your budget for the build look like? The frame itself is really strong for a mini, fully boxed with some thick steel, may be wise to add some gussets and extra bracing to the front corners 600-700hp is a pretty outrageous amount of power for a little truck that came with 80hp.
Would love to see this thing do a 1/4 mile 8O

I'm goin balls out on this thing !!! 650 hp is very easy to achieve with a 5.3 the right cam and a S475 BW turbo. This is my problem tho I don't know much bout gussets an frame work motor an trans yes but supension and frame shit im lost. I know for the rear im gonna be doin caltrac bars an front i guess ill beef up the shock towers and run some QA1 coils. But idk where to put the gussets or where to box the frame in at i also found a for 9" for 250 here local but idk if I'm gonna get it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:14 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have no doubt the power is easily achievable lol the ls engine is an excellent design
250 for a 9" is a dang good deal, is it posi?
Never had to gusset my frame im only running a mild 4.3 v6 but as far as i know you want to add material on the corners of the frame, think of where the most stress would be, places like the frame corners by the engine, motor mount pedestals, im sure you can find the information, s10 guys have to do more bracing than we do so see what they do with theirs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Our LUV frames are very strong, they are boxed from the factory. Some members have been very fast with big engines and I don't think they did much to their frames.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yeah wasnt sure if it was necessary or not but figured with such a high power goal it couldnt hurt :lol:
The luv frame is beyond a standard box. As far as i have seen its basically a channel within a slightly bigger c channel so top and bottom are double layered and welded all along.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:28 am 

Idk if the 9" is posi or not. If it's not can't I make it with a gear swap? And LUVrv8 I see it looks Lik ur truck has some fattys in the rear... did you hav to tub it to fit them in the back or what did you do to get them back there. I am very familiar with he trailblazer ss and other LSx cars but the older shit I don't really know bout.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:39 am 
Addicted to LUV

My truck is back halved, 31X18.5X15 rear tires.