LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Newb with questions!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:03 am 

Hey guys I just bought a 1977 Chevy Luv with 66,000 original miles Its a short bed 2wd with 1.8L 4 cylinder and a 4 speed manual. ITs in really great shape! Problem is it ran fine but somehow burnt up the fuse box and some wires. The Haynes manual I have has generic wiring diagrams so its really hard for me to re wire in this fashion.. Anyone know where I can find a good shop manual with real diagrams? I would like to get this thing back on the road. also if someone knows where I could just look up the wiring diagrams and print them that would work too! Thanks again.

Post subject: Re: Newb with questions!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:20 am 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome, You will have to post some pics when you can.

There are wiring diagrams on this page.
http://www.luvtruck.com/Information.htm

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:35 am 

LUVTRKR wrote:
Welcome, You will have to post some pics when you can.

There are wiring diagrams on this page.
http://www.luvtruck.com/Information.htm

Thank you!
I will post some when i get home to the computer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:12 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

The main page has wiring diagrams in the 'information' section, but they're the same ones you've already seen in your Haynes manual. Here is yours: http://www.luvtruck.com/PDF/Series6.pdf
This is the main wiring diagram, and Haynes probably included it alone because, although it's dense and nearly incomprehensible, it really should be enough information to get you re-wired....unless perhaps you've already torn all your old wiring out, and need to know exactly where things go in the engine bay. Then the dealer shop manual might be helpful. It's the one with all the detailed pictures and diagrams for each individual system, switch, and component.
It will set you back about 11 bucks on Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Manual-Chevrolet-Luv-Series-351-77/dp/B001GU71YG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383260358&sr=8-1&keywords=chevrolet+luv+series+6+shop+manual

I like to cross-reference as much as is reasonably possible, so apart from the one you've already got, and the dealer service manual, I picked up the 'Chevy Light Duty Truck Service and Overhaul Manual Supplement', although that one is a little more generalized, and written for an experienced mechanic. I don't know if one of those exists for '77 specifically. Didn't notice one during a quick search either.

Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:35 pm 

I used that wiring diagram and traced down every single wire that goes through the fuse block as i had no other way to figure out what was what. I have a melted wire or two and im trying to free the harness from under the dash and pull it through the firewall to repair it then decide if im going to use an aftermarket fuse block or try to make mine work as i dont know where to find a stock one.

The previous owned tied a few wires together and ghetto rigged it to run but it would only run for like 10 seconds then die every time then start right back up.. After i got it i messed around with the wires and now it with ignition on it will crank and not run, no dash lights come on anymore, and the air blower runs with the key on lol.. so im pretty confused but trying to sort it out. I have the steering cloumn pulled out to give me more room to get the main harness out from under the dash... May end up removing the whole damn dash by the end of it.

Anyone know where to find a fuse block?

Are the front clips on these trucks like normal? ie: fenders, inners, and core support or are they more like a unibody?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:38 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:41 pm 
Addicted to LUV

unibody...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:35 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Best bet for another fuse block is a junkyard.

The air blower always runs when the key is on. It was considered a 'feature', and came that way from the factory. Annoying, if you ask me. Many people disconnect it.

As you may have noticed, two unrelated components may be wired through a single fuse, so I suppose it's not surprising that you're shaking out some weird stuff by rewiring according to the factory wiring diagram.

The way you're describing the truck's starting situation, it sounds a lot like some of the carburetor electronics were affected. It's convoluted enough that I'd need to look at the manual to figure out which switch is important for what reasons, but there are two or thee of them. Without having those few switches powered and receiving input from their various sources(pedals, transmission, I forget where else, anyone??), these trucks will do just like you described - start and die. It'll keep running if you put your foot in it, but gives out as soon as it's allowed to idle.

On the bright side, it's basic wiring, on a basic truck.

oh, and I think you'll regret removing your dash.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:05 pm 

Wow thanks for all the help! The truck will die no matter how much i kay into the peddle when it went to die. I am going to hack out a fuse block and all the wiring i can out of a donor tomorrow! Also i started a project thread if u would like to go check out the pics! After i get new fuse block restored and repair the wiring ill see where im at, if it still dies it will be something i have to diagnose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Sounds like the fuel pump relay isn't working right. You probably get fuel while cranking, but the pump doesn't stay on once the truck is running. You need a working alternator and regulator for that to happen too, as the relay is triggered from the alt turning over. The fuel pump will only get power when the key is turned to start or the alternator is charging. I think once you get the wiring cleaned up and fixed it will probably begin to work correctly.

It looks a lot like my 79 did when I first got it. The main large hot wire from the Alt to the battery had been shorted at some point, and it melted the insulation on it all the way through the wiring harness. It eventually shorted on me to a wire leading to the reverse lights and made it so the truck would stay running even with the key turned off. I got some slightly larger wire, unwrapped the harness, replaced that wire and cleaned up every place it had burnt into others, then rewrapped the entire harness. That hot wire takes a short turn into the firewall and then back out again too so you can't just bypass it. It has to have power under the dash.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:19 pm 

800xl wrote:
Sounds like the fuel pump relay isn't working right. You probably get fuel while cranking, but the pump doesn't stay on once the truck is running. You need a working alternator and regulator for that to happen too, as the relay is triggered from the alt turning over. The fuel pump will only get power when the key is turned to start or the alternator is charging. I think once you get the wiring cleaned up and fixed it will probably begin to work correctly.

It looks a lot like my 79 did when I first got it. The main large hot wire from the Alt to the battery had been shorted at some point, and it melted the insulation on it all the way through the wiring harness. It eventually shorted on me to a wire leading to the reverse lights and made it so the truck would stay running even with the key turned off. I got some slightly larger wire, unwrapped the harness, replaced that wire and cleaned up every place it had burnt into others, then rewrapped the entire harness. That hot wire takes a short turn into the firewall and then back out again too so you can't just bypass it. It has to have power under the dash.

Thanks! IM hoping the new fuse block and wires will get tit running right. I should add then i bought it. it did run but would die like i was stating so the alternator and voltage regualtor should have been working properly. . I know there was a lot of ghetto wiring going on so maybe the fuel pump relay wasnt getting power or something.. Either way im going to get it all cleaned up and sorted out then go from there. Ill keep my project thread updated if you guys want to check up on it there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:21 pm 

Oh, i forgot to ask, how did you go about the wiring harness? Did you repair it while it was still ran through the firewall or did you pull it all out? If you did pull it out how did you go about doing it? I pulled my steering column to get more room and was hoping to disconnect everything going into the dash and pull it out through the hole in firewall to repair it... any advice?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I did not pull the harness out of the truck at all. I wanted to be able to test things as I went so I left it together. I just unwrapped the harness going across the firewall and inside the dash. I pulled the gauges out to get access and followed the particular wire I was replacing into there and back out without pulling the harness out of the truck or really unplugging much of it. Since I was mostly just after the one wire it worked fairly well, and I replaced a few sections of other wires that had had their insulation scorched by the main wire. For those I used similar guage wire and soldered to the good sections, covering the solder joints with heatshrink tubing.

I don't think the whole harness will easily pull back through the hole in the firewall. I didn't try to, but it seems like there are a bunch of large connectors that must have been installed after the wires were run through the hole. Pulling the gauge cluster will get a lot of room to see what is in there. There are three wingnuts that hold the gauges on from the back side. Two are near the dash vent on the side toward the door, and one is in the middle of the end towards the center of the truck right at the "point" of the curve of the guages. Disconnect the large round wiring connector, and the speedo cable has a tab you push down on the side to disconnect it from the guage.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:29 pm 

800xl wrote:
I did not pull the harness out of the truck at all. I wanted to be able to test things as I went so I left it together. I just unwrapped the harness going across the firewall and inside the dash. I pulled the gauges out to get access and followed the particular wire I was replacing into there and back out without pulling the harness out of the truck or really unplugging much of it. Since I was mostly just after the one wire it worked fairly well, and I replaced a few sections of other wires that had had their insulation scorched by the main wire. For those I used similar guage wire and soldered to the good sections, covering the solder joints with heatshrink tubing.

I don't think the whole harness will easily pull back through the hole in the firewall. I didn't try to, but it seems like there are a bunch of large connectors that must have been installed after the wires were run through the hole. Pulling the gauge cluster will get a lot of room to see what is in there. There are three wingnuts that hold the gauges on from the back side. Two are near the dash vent on the side toward the door, and one is in the middle of the end towards the center of the truck right at the "point" of the curve of the guages. Disconnect the large round wiring connector, and the speedo cable has a tab you push down on the side to disconnect it from the guage.

Haha check out my project thread i already pulled an entire harness out of a donor and swapped it into my truck and got it running. You can pull it through the firewall it wasn't that hard just time consuming.