LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: timing ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:03 am 

I have a 79 Mikado with g200 from an 84 impulse and was wondering if anyone could direct me to the timing process start to finish (diagrams appreciated) I have done the rebuild and my book sucks and the way it says to time it doesn't work for this motor im getting plenty of spark ,compression and fuel but no fire ? im so confused from this d#$@ book its ridiculous any help would be appreciated thanks guys

Post subject: Re: timing ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:52 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

The only difference in the timing between a G180 & G200 is the newer pointless distributor, are you sure you have it connected properly? You can do a search for distributor upgrades for connection help.
When I hear "rebuild" & "no fire " together the first thing that comes to mind is that the entire engine was not at #4 TDC when the distributor was installed & it's 180 degrees out. The oil pump alignment procedure is done with both #1 &#4 pistons up, did you make sure the distributor drive is offset to the front of the engine? If not then my guess is the distributor is not installed properly, since from here the procedure for installing the timing chain automatically puts the crank and cam at #4 TDC, properly aligning the oil pump notch also puts the distributor to #4 TDC.
It's easy enough to check- pull the valve cover, rotate the engine until the crank pulley notch & front cover timing marks align at 0 degrees AND the cam gear alignment dowel points straight up. The crank & cam are now at #4 TDC on the compression stroke. If the distributor rotor is pointing to the #4 firing position then all is good & your problem lies elsewhere. If the distributor rotor is pointing to #1 the distributor is 180 degrees out, swap the 1&4 and the 2&3 plug wires all at one end, make a note of this for the next time you have to work on the engine. You can't just pull the distributor and turn it 180 degrees, it will only go in one way because of that offset in the oil pump distributor drive. Make sure the valves are adjusted properly while you have the cover off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

As a test, try swapping the plug wires around. Trade the ones directly opposite each other. If it is 180 degrees out on the cam timing that will put the spark the same amount out to match and it should fire up.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:06 am 

No spark ayeee maybe the points are worn out any who putting the timing is very simple you put the bottom pulley at tdc and the camshaft has a mark line them up and ur done as for the dizzy it only fits one way it is ecentric