LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: 77 luv dealer 4x4?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:37 am 

oldestisuzuist wrote:
Take pictures please, curious to see how it was assembled & which t-case was used.
One thing you might want to look at is the turning radius, the stock LUV pitman arm is too short to turn a Dana 30 knuckle as far as it needs to go. What you wind up with is a truck that requires a LOT of room to turn. The cure is to shorten the distance between the tie rod connection and the center pivot point at the knuckle OR lengthen the pitman arm or both. The tighter the turning radius the better you will like it, especially off-road.
BTW the power steering setup from an '84 or '85 Trooper is a bolt-in except for the Trooper box to Luv steering shaft connection.

I don't want to sign up for a photo bucket account. But I can text pics.it does turn like a old jeep. I wont be playing with this one.it is for work, camping and hunting so I am fine with how it turns.

I have a built 88 4runner that I built for rock crawling so that is my play toy. Just need to find new calipers for the luv

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:41 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

gravedigger wrote:
can anyone point me in the right direction for calipers and rotors. I am having a heck of a time finding what they are.
did the use the stock calipers and rotors off the luv when they do the Dana 30 swap.

They did on mine, probably on yours also. You may have to compare to a new set to make sure. The front hub bearings & seals are not Isuzu, there should be a number on the part you can cross or Jeeps & early Scouts used the same axle, just a different bolt pattern.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:53 am 

You can attach pictures directly to your post/reply from a computer, don't know if you can from a phone though. Your pictures are size-limited & if you attach more than one the latest one you attach appears at the top. See the "upload attachment" box near the bottom.

Attachments:
File comment: Example, my truck in '08
'78 LUV 002.jpg
'78 LUV 002.jpg [ 119.21 KiB | Viewed 8519 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

One way to try to figure out what you have is to look at Jeep parts from that year your truck is. If you go to www.partsgeek.com they have great pics to compair to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:31 am 

ok I found out what I have.it is the stock calipers. Took them off and checked them out they have been replaced within the last 5 years. Now I need my master and booster to get here.new rubber break hoses on the way. I did advance the timing just a tiny bit and now it runs like a raped ape.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Depending on the amount of flex in the front axle you might consider longer hoses. I'm not sure what you're paying but it could also pay to look into braided steel lines. I checked once with www.independent4x.com and they did have something that should fit, but that was quite a while ago. The front hoses for an 86 Isuzu Trooper should be the same. Give them a call and tell them what you have and I bet they can find something for you. The longer braided lines should last longer than the truck.

Personally though, I've got the factory brake lines on both my trucks. I've never replaced the brake lines on any of the LUVs I've owned.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:11 pm 

800xl wrote:
Depending on the amount of flex in the front axle you might consider longer hoses. I'm not sure what you're paying but it could also pay to look into braided steel lines. I checked once with http://www.independent4x.com and they did have something that should fit, but that was quite a while ago. The front hoses for an 86 Isuzu Trooper should be the same. Give them a call and tell them what you have and I bet they can find something for you. The longer braided lines should last longer than the truck.

Personally though, I've got the factory brake lines on both my trucks. I've never replaced the brake lines on any of the LUVs I've owned.

I hear ya on the braded lines. But the stock ones have plenty of clearance. This truck wont be flexing out and I did a at most flex test with it and they still have room to travel. I am paying 20 for a set of 2.rubber is cracked and worn.

last thing on my list is new door seals. They are shot. Any ideas on a cheep seal?

finished putting new shocks all around thins morning. Going to change the rear end gear oil now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Door seals are tough. I think there was a source for new ones posted here somewhere so try a search. Also, Isuzu Trooper seals fit into the tracks but are a bit long I believe. Just start at the sharp corner and when you meet at the bottom trim to fit. 84-91 should all be the same. The trooper seals do have an additional lip of rubber on them though that might stick out a little.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Seals.... http://www.restorationspecialties.com/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:55 pm 

good deal. Seals will be ordered before winter.

I did give the old owner a call to talk to him a bit more. The dash and gages are out of a 80 luv donor truck. Same truck he got the rebuilt motor from. He took a lot of the good parts from the 80(along with the grill/lamps)and put them on the 77,but says the body is a 77.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I think I could tell if I was looking at it if the cab was an original 77. A pic of the heater controls, or the firewall from the engine side would probably do though. There are just a few details that would give it away. The clutch master cylinder area of the firewall is different, a 79 or 80 would have to be modified to even fit a clutch master cylinder.

If the fuse block has places for a fuse for each of 4 head lights, that would pin that part as being a 77 as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:36 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Not sure on the 77 but the 76 and 78 (same as a 80) has a complete different electrical plug on the back of the gauges, you would have to splice in the newer harness connector for it to work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:15 pm 

By "body" he must mean the cab - the fenders are '79 or '80, the headlights & grill are '78-'80 as are the doors ('77 was the last year for the wing glass). That doesn't leave much to be '77.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I don't think there is much if any sheetmetal difference on the fenders between 77 and 80, just the marker lights and the side emblems. AFAIK there are two fenders, 72-75 and 76-80 and the only difference on those is a little bit in the bottom front where the valance behind the bumper bolts on. The older style has more space to hook to the wider valance.

I forgot about that gauge connector. That is different. I was going to swap the gauges from my 76 into my 79 at one point but decided I'd rather not splice into the harness.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:48 pm 

800xl wrote:
I don't think there is much if any sheetmetal difference on the fenders between 77 and 80, just the marker lights and the side emblems. AFAIK there are two fenders, 72-75 and 76-80 and the only difference on those is a little bit in the bottom front where the valance behind the bumper bolts on. The older style has more space to hook to the wider valance.

I forgot about that gauge connector. That is different. I was going to swap the gauges from my 76 into my 79 at one point but decided I'd rather not splice into the harness.

Those rectangles that are part of the LUV emblem on the fenders did not appear until '79, '80s emblems were slightly different than '79s but I'm not sure just what the difference was. Anyway, if the emblems came with the fenders they are definitely not '77s.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:53 pm 

oldestisuzuist wrote:
800xl wrote:

Those rectangles that are part of the LUV emblem on the fenders did not appear until '79, '80s emblems were slightly different than '79s but I'm not sure just what the difference was. Anyway, if the emblems came with the fenders they are definitely not '77s.

The truck has
emblems all over it.I assume from the 80 donor luv.has mikado emblem by the doors and in the flat bed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yeah I just meant the sheet metal. Emblems could swap from fender to fender and those are definitely not 77 fender emblems. In one pic though I can see what looks like a LUV emblem in the middle of the front of the bed, and it looks like a 77. The 77 ones kind of staggered the letters up and down a bit, no square under them.

The original large Mikado emblems were on the sides of the bed towards the back. There were none on the cab like that. The ones I can see in the pics just under the vent louvers behind the door, those came on the glovebox door(well one per truck). That one in the pic looks like a 79 or 80 to me. The 77 and 76 ones I've got had a different font than that for both the bed sides and glovebox, and the glovebox ones have two pins to hold them on. The bigger one I can see on one side of the flatbed looks like a 76 to me, more Japanese Kanjii script looking in style.

Its just your typical Franken-LUV. ;) My current 79 has older vent window doors, 4 headlights, and I believe a 77 or 76 bed too. It happens. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

As far as swapping out body parts, I think the LUV is number two just behind a VW bug.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:10 am 
Addicted to LUV

LOL, yeah many LUVs have had more body parts swapped than tires. My 79 is certainly worse than this one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:10 pm 

the more I look at the truck the more I think the cab off of the 80 was put on the 77 frame, or they just striped the 77 down to just the cab and started swapping 80 parts into it.like the break master is off a 79 or 80 and it looks to me someone made there own break lines.

question if anyone can help.is there any diff between the 77 and newer masters besides the break line being on the driver side for a 77 and pass for newer years. I got a new 77 master but I will have to bend my own lines to make it work if they are the same