LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Beeping Sound
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:18 pm 

Next question on this 81 LUV. The odometer wasn't working so I bought an old used one. They changed out pretty easily and the new odometer works.....except now when the lights are on there is a constant beeping sound, and both turn signal lights remain steadily on. Don't know if working on the head gasket could have affected the electrical...anyone have any thoughts what the problem might be?

Thanks!

PJ

Post subject: Re: Beeping Sound
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

phillipkjohnson wrote:
Next question on this 81 LUV. The odometer wasn't working so I bought an old used one.
That's real common. There's usually nothing wrong that a good cleaning won't fix. The grease gets dirt in it, and get's kinda crusty. But no harm done by replacing it. Were you able to set the new one to match the more-or-less correct mileage?
phillipkjohnson wrote:
They changed out pretty easily and the new odometer works.....except now when the lights are on there is a constant beeping sound, and both turn signal lights remain steadily on. Don't know if working on the head gasket could have affected the electrical...anyone have any thoughts what the problem might be?
Nothing you've done is directly related to the electrical system. It's more likely you disturbed a ground connection when working on the head or under the dash. Check your hazard switch to make sure it's not halfway on / halfway off (in between positions). There is nothing in the factory system that beeps. The turn signal and 4-way flashers both "blink". The seat belt warning (if they had it in '81) was a buzzer.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

To isolate it try removing the turn signal relays and see it it stops.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:48 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I think it was a false alarm. Looked like one of the cables had come undone in the back. I tightened it up and all seems to be in order, with one exception - the new instrument panel has a tachometer, the old one did not. The tach is not working....is there a way to get it to work?

I don't know what the mileage is...the old one stopped at 39,000. The new one is at 153,000. It also has a trip odometer, the old one did not. I don't really care about the mileage other than to know how many miles I've put on it for oil changes and fuel economy.

I didn't think about trying to fix the old one....do you just give the connector a good scrubbing? How would you get in to reset the mileage? It looked to me like the instrument panel was molded plastic without access to the odometer....how do you get to it?

Thanks again for the replies.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

phillipkjohnson wrote:
the new instrument panel has a tachometer, the old one did not. The tach is not working....is there a way to get it to work?
Maybe, but first--where is the redline on the tach? Is it about 4,250, or is it higher? If it's 4,250-ish, it's a diesel tach. I won't say it's impossible, but getting it to work would be a "fool's errand". If the redline is higher (not sure how high, but more than 4,250, then I'm sure someone can help you get it working (not me).
phillipkjohnson wrote:
I didn't think about trying to fix the old one....do you just give the connector a good scrubbing? How would you get in to reset the mileage? It looked to me like the instrument panel was molded plastic without access to the odometer....how do you get to it?
The cluster has to come out. The odometer is removed from the rear. I think it's held in by screws. I'll see if I can find a link to the repair (resetting) procedure.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:20 am 

Thanks. The red line is at 6,000 rpms. Anyone have an idea how to get the tach going? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:30 am 
Addicted to LUV

I looked at the parts book and wiring schematic for 81 and 82 ant the LUV is not shown with a tach. You may need to look at a later model PUP wiring diagram and see what you need to do to make the tach work.