LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:17 pm 

Hello,
I have owned my '76 luv since 1985 when I was in High School and over the past couple months have been paying her back for her faithful (well mostly) 280K of service. Everything is original including the engine and trans which I kept in fine working order all these years (well not me, but a mechanic). It has never failed a smog test! I just got her painted and she is having her interior redone currently. What I am having trouble figuring out is the back bumper (I am refurbishing the original front bumper) and side mirrors. The truck originally had a camper shell which I discarded when I got her in 1985 and the bumper was a hideous diamond step type which I have thrown away and never wish to see again. I want a simple bumper and can't seem to find one, chrome is possible. Also the side mirrors I am unsure of what to do. Do they still sell replacement brake and turn signal lights anywhere? Mine are cracked and faded. I just don't have tons of time to search and I live in Los Angeles where there should be some of this stuff. Anyone with any ideas or comments I would greatly appreciate their input. Here are some photos of the truck right after paint.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:14 pm 
Addicted to LUV

welcome. nice truck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

:signiagree Are looking for another step bumper or something else?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:44 pm 

I am not too fond of the step bumpers, maybe more of a simple chrome bumper.
Once I get the back bumper and side mirrors I can drive it again and then I will continually add and replace things like brake-light and turn-signals and the weather stripping.
The thought is to also put a better motor in her in the future -a V6 probably. It is just too bad I have to have it smogged every other year per the state of California. The cut-off is 1975 and the DMV told me years ago they were going to raise it to 1977 but as of yet, nothing and probably it will never happen.

Anyone with good sites for replacement lights and other parts let me know. It is nice to see so many people that share the same love for these trucks and do so many interesting things with them. I could have sold this truck 100 times over and I held on to her until I could fix her back up.

Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:54 pm 

One thing I forgot. A part I have always needed is a replacement heater motor. It failed in like 1994 and I couldn't get one then. I rigged another motor to work but I basically have no heater or defroster in there and that is annoying. Has anyone found replacement motors for the heater out there somewhere?

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Kelly Ramage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:57 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Nice truck, very straight. Who painted it for you?

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 am 

Thanks! My friend is a mechanic and he had it done for me. They carefully took out any dings etc but there really weren't that many as I took care of it.
I don't know the name of the painter but I can get it if you want.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:31 am 
Addicted to LUV

Where in Calif are you? I am thinking about getting mine painted after I'm done with the motor.

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:15 pm 

I live ion Sunland and the mechanic is in Tujunga, Pete's Auto. I used his painter and he knew what I was after.
I am going to put a spray in bed liner in the back to protect the bed (I don't haul much of anything) from rust and can peel it out whenever I don't want it.

Are you using the original Izuzu motor?
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

fausta wrote:
I live ion Sunland and the mechanic is in Tujunga, Pete's Auto. I used his painter and he knew what I was after.
I am going to put a spray in bed liner in the back to protect the bed (I don't haul much of anything) from rust and can peel it out whenever I don't want it.

Are you using the original Izuzu motor?
Kelly

That bed looks so nice I would have trouble covering it up with a coat of bed liner.

I am in OC, so a bit down the road. I currently have a tired sbc 307 but am rebuilding a 355 to put in this spring. The isuzu motors are cool but I am much more comfortable working on a small block. 8)

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:56 pm 
Feel the Steel

fausta wrote:
I am going to put a spray in bed liner in the back to protect the bed and can peel it out whenever I don't want it.

Nice truck but I have never seen a spray on bed liner that is removable.

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:35 pm 

That is just what I was told. I don't really want to do it but I don't want rust problems. There was a camper shell on it when I got it in 1985 and I got rid of it ASAp but had some areas of rust where there were holes from the mounts or something.

This is why I signed on here to the forum so I can learn as I go. I found side mirrors I like but I still can't find a decent bumper that isn't the step-down type which I dislike.