LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: diesel luv barn find
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:41 pm 

Hey everyone, i'm new here to this forum and thought i'd introduce myself and my Luv.

For starters i had a co worker who was getting ready to clean out there barn and just out of curiosity i asked if there was any vehicles they had they where getting rid of for cheep, she had told me that there was the Luv and it was a diesel. At this point i was intrigued and asked if it ran. she got a hold of her husband and told me it was an 82 that has been sitting for thirteen years and looked a little rough but when it was parked it was running.

i picked it up and it was missing the headlights, front bumper, ac condenser, and the battery was cut out of it. the first night we figured we would see if it was seized so we put a battery in it and hot wired the truck; it fired up after sitting for that long! we called it a night and over the next five days (after removing the threat of hantavirus) we did a tune up, put fresh fuel in it, put headlights and mounted marker lights, got all the running lights working and mounted a 2010 Camaro grill.

that was two weeks ago i picked it up and i've been driving it to and from work. so far it runs like a champ but there are still issues i'm having to work on. it still doesnt have working wipers, the cv shafts are both bad, the wheel bearings coming to the end of their lives, the heater and ac doesnt work and i need to build a front bumper. but all in all i'm starting to like the truck more and more and its a work in progress.

i'll have some photos to come and i'm sure i'll have some questions in the near future. i hope you guys on here are as helpful as some of the other forums i've been on. :smt023

Thanks, RC

Post subject: Re: diesel luv barn find
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:53 pm 
da LUV masta

Welcome and looking forward to pictures of it with the camaro grill. :D

Eric Q.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:21 am 
Addicted to LUV

Eric Q. wrote:
Welcome and looking forward to pictures of it with the camaro grill. :D

Eric Q.

X2...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:00 am 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome aboard. You will love this truck.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:45 pm 

thanks for the welcome guys. sorry no pics yet i havent had the time to get some with the fact the day light is dwindling faster and faster this time of year.

i have been trying to get some gremlins chased out of the electrical system after i drove home monday. the problem i'm having now is i'm losing my tail lights and running lights. i've been searching for some decent wiring diagrams with no luck; even my GM techs are unable to find any literature or information in their data bases going back far enough for the little truck.

i do plan on rebuilding the harness for the tail lights from under the hood back to where it tee's off at the rear of the truck (i've already rebuilt the harness between the tail lights so i know thats not the issue)

any input is appriciated
RC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:19 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Clarkrcc wrote:
i have been trying to get some gremlins chased out of the electrical system after i drove home monday. the problem i'm having now is i'm losing my tail lights and running lights. i've been searching for some decent wiring diagrams with no luck;

There's a guy on the IsuzuPup.com forum who had some wiring diagrams enlarged to poster size. I'm pretty certain the diagram was an '83, but even if not--it's 99% the same. He was selling them for $5 at our recent meet, but I don't know what he'd want if he had to ship them.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:01 pm 

well its been a while since my last update, i've been out of town for work, but i've got the electrical gremlins chased out of the truck(i've almost rewired the whole truck :lol: ) and have her back on the road. she is running great and compared to my jeep i'm getting substantially better fuel economy. i've also had the front end apart and put some new wheel bearings and ball joints!

what i have going on now is my lock out hubs are always in 4wheel due to the previous owners wonderful mechanical ability but the pain is i can not find any parts or re man kits for them (new or used). another part i'm having the damnedest time trying to find is the hvac controls.

so the part hunt is still on!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Ryan,

By all means stay here--but you really need to be in IsuzuPup.com, too. Your search for parts will be a lot more happy if you're on both sites. ;)

Jack