LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:56 am 

Hey Dudes!

My name is Leo from Australia, I am brand new to your site.
As you may know we have a Holden built Gemini which share the G Series Isuzu engines with you guys. These date from 1975 (TX) thru to 1984 (TG).
Basically I am keen to source a supply of New cylinder heads and require shipping to Australia. Our suppliers closed years ago and trying to find a good used cylinder head is getting very difficult. Most of ours are corroded beyond repair.

Q) Are there any Brand New G180z heads available in the USA, and if so could you please point me to a web address that may have some on the shelf?

Any information would be much appreciated, I just want to keep my '79 TD Holden Gemini on the road for years to come.

Cheers from Oz , Leo

Attachments:
File comment: with extractors and 32/36 weber,
Isuzu motor.JPG
Isuzu motor.JPG [ 42.1 KiB | Viewed 2494 times ]
File comment: heres a pic of my ride
Isuzu Gemini.JPG
Isuzu Gemini.JPG [ 30.37 KiB | Viewed 2494 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:34 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

What series engine is it? You mentioned it's a '79 car, but I don't know if the Gemini and LUV engines were consistent with eachother year-by-year. On the LUV, the intake ports flipped to the RH side in 1977, and the situation of the timing chain run-through changed a bit. I believe the head changed again at some point between '77 and '80, but someone here will correct me if I am wrong.

I am not aware of anybody making new parts like that. Junkyards seem to be the best way to go. I needed a new head about 4 months ago, and it took about 20 phonecalls to find a usable match...not too rough. That is probably your best bet. I found mine after calling several yards and asking if they knew someone else that might know. Every single place said something to the effect of "ohhhh, a LUV truck eh? Well, call my ol' friend Beaufort over at Podunk Automotive...he'll know where to point'cha", and so on. Most yards could not determine which series engine they had*. I had to verify using photos they sent.

Eventually, I found a refurbished LUV head w/valves, rockers and everything, that had been sitting on the shelf for 20 years and bought that sucker for about $175. They're out there*

Start with Penrose Automotive in Penrose, CO, then maybe try Klamath Auto Wreckers in Klamath Falls, OR. They've got good, computer-savvy, helpful folks at both places who are willing to take photographs and email them your way before committing to any purchases.

*I can't emphasize enough how important it is to know exactly what changed year-by-year on the cylinder head. Having the wrong one shipped REALLY sucks, and the junkyards can have little sympathy on you, especially given your shipping requirements.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:11 pm 

Hi, thanks for the response.

It is a G Series. G180z. our Geminis all have the same head from 75-83, the only changes were anti pollution/smog which we just block off with bolts. or mechanical and electronic fuel pump which again can be drilled out/ blocked to suit.
The engines also came in 1.6 L 1.8 L and 2 L which are all interchangeable with Isuzu blocks. With the 2L head the water jackets dont line up as well but are able to be modified to suit.

I bought a KB25 ute , it came with a 5 speed, 1.8 L Isuzu engine, which is exactly the same as what i am chasing. unfortunately the head was warped and corroded.

So apart from junk yards, does everyone agree there is no chance of finding New Old Stock of the G180z?

cheers for the help.
Leo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:07 am 
Addicted to LUV

I don't know of anyone making new heads for our motors, but a few years ago I did find a place online that had remanufactured heads for a decent price. I can't recall what company, ut found them through a yahoo search. The fella on the phone I spoke with told me these heads are getting harder to find because of normal attrition, but also because these same motors are used to power some of the older airline tugs. The ones to haul baggage carts and such around the flight line. I ordered a head from them and recieved and remanufactured g200 head without ports for the air tube, so no need for blocking off the ports. Only issue with it was the dowel pin for the timing gear on the cam broke off. JUst swapped in my cam and was golden.