LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:14 pm 

i am just curious if many ppl have these problems...i recently bought a 80' luv, i got it to running condtion in a matter of hours had been sittin for 6 years. Anyway my main concern at the moment is my clutch pedal...the bracketry is all busted up underneath tha dash and it makes the pedal real hard to push...what i wanna know is if this happens to lots of ppl with luvs and if so how do most of you out there fix it??? also my other quick ? is can i maybe use the guts out of a s10 for a diff clutch pedal? thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

There a a few threads floating around about the broken bracket. It seems to be fairly common. Don't know about the s10 stuff being a bolt in...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:17 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

A quick tip? If you are going to be working on the underdash clutch linkage, pull the speedo cluster first, then you can easily see what you are working on. To pull the speedo cluster reach under the dash and locate the four wing nuts holding the dash in, unscrew these with your fingers, pull dash out, unclip speedo and the multi plug mounted on the left side, there is also a small ground wire in the middle that pulls off. Set the cluster aside and you can easily repair what is needed. The four wing nuts are located two on each end of the dash cluster. If you ever need to take the vents out these are held in by two wing nuts also.
So much easier than trying to reach up under the dash. If you can't find what you need try advertising in the classified section on this site.
Good luck, keep us posted?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:34 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I had the same problem years ago, what caused the bracket to bend was the clutch cable had worn a grove in the fire wall penitration, causing it to bind up. What i did to repaire the bracket was to pull it out straighten it up and reweld the cracks wuth a wire feed welder. That was probably five years ago and no problems sence. oh in addition to pulling the guage cluster i would pull out the seat also. Just lay on your back and it's a piece of cake.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:48 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Same problem years ago. Had a local shop weld it back together and it's been good since. Also replaced the clutch cable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 am 

I have a repaired one from a '79 for sale, ready to install. It's missing the return springs & the brake light switch, but if you have those, you're good to go. $60 shipped to lower 48.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:16 pm 

Hey all, i got it out and rewelded all the brackets under there. my next ? is are new clutches and cables still available? i may need both. so just curious. and also the book ai have doesnt show how to adjust the clutch very well. does anyone have easy tips about that?? thanks for all the helo so far. i have pics, just need to uplaod from camera.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:09 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Yes, rockauto.com has them and probably most any parts store.