LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:31 pm 

So here's the story. I have been traveling a lot for work and haven't had time to work on the truck.

About two months ago, the truck started bucking like it was running out of fuel. Took it to the garage where I was informed that the previous owner had installed a second fuel filter and that the old fuel pump probably couldn't handle the additional back pressure so had conked out. They proposed it would be cheaper to replace and upgrade the fuel filter. They do so and comment that there's something going on with the timing.

I said, Ok, well, we need the truck back so just give it back and we'll see what happens.

Got the truck back and things seemed Ok for about a week. Then I start noticing that it backfires whenever we are engine braking downhill and occasionally the power cuts out on steep uphills. However, it's occasionally and nothing crazy so we carry on.

A few weeks of this and it suddenly gets MUCH WORSE. Now it is bucking and stuttering with the power cutting in and out as badly as before. The garage says they cleaned the fuel lines and the carb during the previous repair and that the dwell should be about 52 ms but they are seeing it ranging from 40 to 80 ms.

Now they want to replace the WHOLE distributor for about $400. I'm feeling this is fishy.

At this point my husband and I (who share a car between the two of us) have acquired a new, reliable vehicle and are debating on whether to fix it or just sell it.

Any thoughts on all this would be helpful. I read through the previous threads on engine stuttering and I'm seeing such a range of potential issues it's a bit overwhelming.

Thanks!

Reb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:28 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

My guess would be fuel. If it's any thing like the Luv I was working on recently I took about a half pound of rust out of the tank before putting an Eastwood kit in it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:29 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I also would guess fuel problems. The fact that the previus owner added a second filter tells me they had trouble with dirty fuel. I doubt the distributor problem--I think with those readings he was having trouble with his test equipment.
Distributor bearings could be worn very bad but unlikely, easy to verify.