LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:49 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Hi guys,
not knowing heaps about the luvs (isuzu kb/holden kb). I thought id ask here what to watch out for when looking at a luv to buy? mechanically im not to stressed, just curious as to where they usually rust, and if the chassis crack etc. front panels i dont care about as i have spares already.
the one i want to go look at is 4x4 if they have there own problems?
cheers for the help
Paul

1976-1980 Isuzu tub for the luv or kb
Nissan GU Patrol
Ford Falcon AU ute

Never buy a car you cant push.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:26 am 
Australian LUV Guru

RUST
Rust is the major killer of Luvs, i've owned/parted 10 Luvs now and they have all had rust in the same places.
Chassis rusted from the inside out, and rust in the floor pans around the body to chassis mounts is the most common. Some other places i have found rust is in the sill panels, under and around the window seals, around the door hinges, inside the external vents , under the panel below front windscreen and rusted lower radiater support panel. All applies for 4x4 also check for bad cv,s and hubs.

LUVTRKR wrote:
It does have a license plate so technically it is a street truck, that sets off car alarms and makes kids cry. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:29 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

mrflibbles wrote:
Hi guys,
not knowing heaps about the luvs (isuzu kb/holden kb). I thought id ask here what to watch out for when looking at a luv to buy? mechanically im not to stressed, just curious as to where they usually rust, and if the chassis crack etc. front panels i dont care about as i have spares already.
the one i want to go look at is 4x4 if they have there own problems?
cheers for the help
Paul

Here's what sort of things I ran into with my 82 LUV diesel when I had it.

Bad U-joints. The u-joints for these trucks seem to go fairly... IDK, soon? Ever LUV/PUP my dad and I have owned have needed a set just after getting the truck.

Rusty floors under the carpet where the wheel humps are. Both sides. This is a fairly common rust spot. The beds can also get rusty... but this one of the prime spots I've noticed.

My dad has recently noticed rusting under his seat in his truck... take a peak if you can in this area.

Chassis... the weakest area is right behind the cab. When you look at this truck, make sure there's no gigantic amount of rust on the frame. If there is, and you REALLY want the truck, at least get it re-enforced.

I'm sure more guys on here have better input. Me, I've been off this forum for a LONG time. I'd like another LUV if I ever ran into one. Preferably 4x4 and a 79-80 model.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:59 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Look at the clutch pedal. Is it leaning/flexing to the left when you push in the clutch. The bracing for them is weak. I had to put an extra brace on mine. Old clutch cables kill them.