LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: is this a good buy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:45 am 

Looking to buy a small truck for my brother and came across an 80 luv long bed auto. It is the original owner selling it and it doesn't look too bad from the pictures. I will try to post the pics. Owner says it will start but dies when ya give it gas. Thinking fuel filter, carb, or timing.

Any suggestions on what to look for when I go see it in person? I have decent mechanical knowledge but am I'm certainly no expert. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: is this a good buy?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:03 pm 

Almost anytime you get a vehicle from the first original owner, it is a good thing. They most likely have receipts for what all they have done to it, BUT not always. Try to go see it and check it out real good before you commit to buying, it may be in real bad shape. Good luck M8.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:15 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I agree with Iluvit about the nature of first-owner cars. I'm a lot like you, I'm comfortable wrenching on cars and consider my knowledge of automobiles to be above average but I'm certainly no professional mechanic. If you really like the truck, and it gets your seal of approval, I suggest taking it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection; they'll be able to diagnose problems you don't have the equipment/know how to spot. I've been burned in the past on vehicles that appeared to be a great deal and turned out to be lemons a couple of months down the line. If for nothing else the peace of mind is worth the $100 bucks you'll spend, and it could potentially save you thousands.

That's just my $.02, take it or leave it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:38 am 

IM NEW SO YOU CAN IGNORE ME.IF IT WAS ME I WOULD TAKE A CARB WITH ME BOLT IT ON AND DRIVE THE TRUCK HOME.THE TRUCKS 31 YEARS OLD.EVERY PART ON IT CAN BE PURCHASED.BUY YOUR BROTHER A HAYNES MANUAL AND LET HIM BUILD SOME MEMORIES(PRICELESS).CHECK FOR RUST THAT CAN RUIN MEMORIES ITS LIKE CANCER IT NEVER GOES AWAY BESIDES "ITS ONLY MONEY"