LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:52 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I'm looking at a '78 right now and it has a problem with the wipers and radio sometimes working and other times not, and unfortunately that will keep me from passing inspection. I was wondering if this is a common problem with Luvs? Is it likely just a simple short that needs to be replaced or the sign of something bigger?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:47 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Sorry, I was probably a little hasty in asking this. I just found the wiring diagram on this site and see where the radio and wiper motor have a common wire and I'm guessing that's the culprit, likely loose somewhere along the way.

While I've got your attention, what are some common problems with these trucks I should pay close attention to? I'm trying to make myself a check list so I can be as thorough as possible.

Thanks,
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:52 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

It is almost 99% your fuse box.... it is the last fuse closest to the firewall. Get ya some lemon juice and a tooth brush and put some on there and scrub the holding pieces for the fuse with the toothbrush. Bet ya it works for ya too

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:07 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

jeremy_bedwell wrote:
It is almost 99% your fuse box.... it is the last fuse closest to the firewall. Get ya some lemon juice and a tooth brush and put some on there and scrub the holding pieces for the fuse with the toothbrush. Bet ya it works for ya too

Awesome, thanks for that tip Jeremy! I'll be sure to bring a toothbrush and a lemon with me when I go to check this truck out in the morning.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:13 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

let us know how it goes... good luck to ya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:46 am 
da LUV masta

jeremy_bedwell wrote:

Yeah, the fuse box. I fought electrical problem for at least 20 years before nailing the culprit. LUV's have a weak link in the electrical system, the fusebox. The terminals the wires connect are riveted to the fuse holders. A little age and corrosion, and you get electrical intermittents. I solved mine by taking it apart and soldering the joints. Others have cleaned it with lemon juice, and others a new fuse box.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:24 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

The fuse box was the culprit, thanks for the help y'all. I ended up buying the truck as well, I'll get some pictures up once I get my camera back from my folk's place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:34 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Good show... glad all worked out for ya