LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:30 pm 

we just got a pair of '79 mikados- one "running", with a parts truck. while it does run, it doesn't run well. after putting a carb kit into it, it still runs very rough. also replaced the distributor with the one off the parts truck, as there was alot of wear slop in the shaft of the one on the runner, and new points, condensor, plugs/wires. also purchased a new aluminum civic radiator (close to the same dimensions), but need to fabricate mounts to install. here's my most pressing problem, and why i even found this forum. driving slowly on the dirt roads up here, in 4wd, we had a loud THUMP, then grinding in the front end, the noise matching tire rotation. that has me believing it's either a hub, or something in a front axle, and not a driveshaft U joint. it does not make the noise in 2wd. that has me believing it's a hub. it's winter up here, and snow is still on the ground, so i haven't been under it since, but i'm looking for lockout hubs for the thing. i have not gone to isuzu or chevrolet yet, but have done alot of online searching- including discovering this site. any suggestions, anyone? ...already getting long, but two things- i got this truck because i owned a 2wd '81 LUV diesel for over 20 years, and it's still rates as the best vehicle i ever bought (but we needed a 4wd for up here in the rockies). secondly, i'm thinking about doing the weber carb conversion to improve the way the engine runs. okay, any suggestions about finding those hubs will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

wannaLUVit wrote:
we just got a pair of '79 mikados- one "running", with a parts truck. while it does run, it doesn't run well. after putting a carb kit into it, it still runs very rough. also replaced the distributor with the one off the parts truck, as there was alot of wear slop in the shaft of the one on the runner, and new points, condensor, plugs/wires. also purchased a new aluminum civic radiator (close to the same dimensions), but need to fabricate mounts to install. here's my most pressing problem, and why i even found this forum. driving slowly on the dirt roads up here, in 4wd, we had a loud THUMP, then grinding in the front end, the noise matching tire rotation. that has me believing it's either a hub, or something in a front axle, and not a driveshaft U joint. it does not make the noise in 2wd. that has me believing it's a hub. it's winter up here, and snow is still on the ground, so i haven't been under it since, but i'm looking for lockout hubs for the thing. i have not gone to isuzu or chevrolet yet, but have done alot of online searching- including discovering this site. any suggestions, anyone? ...already getting long, but two things- i got this truck because i owned a 2wd '81 LUV diesel for over 20 years, and it's still rates as the best vehicle i ever bought (but we needed a 4wd for up here in the rockies). secondly, i'm thinking about doing the weber carb conversion to improve the way the engine runs. okay, any suggestions about finding those hubs will be appreciated.

possibly in the hub or the front differential? superwinch locking hubs, should be pretty easy to find. i know thats what mine has (anyone else? pretty sure they are the stock)

i recommend the weber too :lol: i love mine

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:25 am 

thanks love4theluv. i'll try looking those hubs up. my first thought was front differential, but taking it out of 4wd stops the noise. hoping that it's the left hub ($)!! plus, i'm thinking that if it is the diff, it would continue grinding even it was free. i'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:25 pm 

looked at the "superwinch" website, with no results for '79 LUV. went out into the snowstorm to check the mikado, and the hubs on it are "ASCO". doing more research using asco as the parameter, another forum came up (for the toyota FJ40), and claims that asco hubs are the same as "AISIN"- the hubs on my samurai. further looking at the info i found there, and seeing what distributors have for sale, i either have to disassemble mine, or perhaps someone here knows if the LUV hub is 30 spline. easy to see that it is a six bolt hub, and not 10. but the innards....? again, thanks for the info, love4theluv, but one or both of us has had hubs replaced. so, i'm still looking. BTW, one distributor has both "warn" and "mile marker" hubs listed for the LUV, but at $300+ per set. a set of "warn" premiums are less than a hundred for my classic bronco. so they have to be out there somewhere without getting screwed. wannaLUVit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

wannaLUVit wrote:
looked at the "superwinch" website, with no results for '79 LUV. went out into the snowstorm to check the mikado, and the hubs on it are "ASCO". doing more research using asco as the parameter, another forum came up (for the toyota FJ40), and claims that asco hubs are the same as "AISIN"- the hubs on my samurai. further looking at the info i found there, and seeing what distributors have for sale, i either have to disassemble mine, or perhaps someone here knows if the LUV hub is 30 spline. easy to see that it is a six bolt hub, and not 10. but the innards....? again, thanks for the info, love4theluv, but one or both of us has had hubs replaced. so, i'm still looking. BTW, one distributor has both "warn" and "mile marker" hubs listed for the LUV, but at $300+ per set. a set of "warn" premiums are less than a hundred for my classic bronco. so they have to be out there somewhere without getting screwed. wannaLUVit

no kidding thats odd. i know the previous owner did a bit of work to it not sure what exactly. i was wondering where the heck a sut of superwinch hubs migrated to a luv from XD

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:10 pm 

hi love4theluv. maybe just mine are replacements. i dunno. didn't get to look further into it today, but am still searching. thanx again. wannaLUVit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:19 am 
da LUV masta

there no 30 spline, its 17 or 26 or was it 24?

one is 1979/1987 the other is 1988 up

have you looked to see if the CVs are working and not busted up or wobbling all over?
is the drive to the front still working with the sound?

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:53 pm 

hi trooper T/diesel. don't know about spline count on this truck, it's still in a foot of snow, and won't be checking it out until melt. i saw an isuzu hub listing for 30 spline, so i asked. i never thought about CVs. it was a VERY noticable thump, then regular scrunch sound coinciding with tire rotation. i was passenger when it happened, just as we were getting home (it's actually my girlfriend's truck). so i jumped out and walked outside next to it listening while heading up the 300' driveway. i asked her take it out of 4WD, and the noise ceased. we've only driven it a couple of times this winter after the 'incident', as we need 4wd for the roads up here in the snow. the front end is quiet in 2WD, so i don't think it's the differential. thanks to your reply, i'll be checking out the CV on the left side. she's borderline fed up with it, so we might be listing it in the classified here, and ebay, instead of repairing it (i really think it needs the weber too- the stock carb rebuild kit and ignition parts didn't make the engine run as smoothly as we hoped). ...but she hasn't made up her mind yet about more investment into it. about your "twins", i bet you love them. my best vehicle EVER was an'81 LUV diesel. over 300k miles (200k+ by me), flooded to the door handles in katrina in 2005, and still ran like a top into 2010. i'm sure it still is. i sold it not long before we moved to the mountains, as we knew we needed a 4WD. so i bought that damned bronco, but that's another story! thanks for your post.