LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:47 pm 

:?: I need help with my Luv truck problem. Once my truck is up to operating temperature, everything is fine then for some reason it just starts sputtering and cutting out. Especially on a hill. I have cleaned out the fuel tank, lines and replaced both carb and fuel filters. I have also put a new fuel pump on it.. (it needed one anyway) and the problem still persists. I have full flow, electrical power and pressure to the carb. Also have rebuilt and replaced the carb to no avail. I have noticed one thing, that before it starts doing this the radio starts cutting out. I have checked all the electrical connections and the alternater is putting out the right amps.. I have checked the timing and it is dead on before and after I make the run. It starts this as I am pulling a hill. I can't think of anything else I can do. Any help would be appreciated and looked into as a possible solution to the problem, my truck is an 80 Chevy Luv 4x4 chassy frame and engine with a 1975 chevy luv body. Thanks for your help in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You know what? Mine was doing that way-back-when and it turned out to be the ignition switch. Apparently after the truck was running for a while the switch would heat up and start cutting out. It also seemed to only happen while I was driving somewhere because the keys were rattling in the ignition switch. That would go along with your radio cutting out symptom too.

I finally pulled out the ignition switch and it was all melted for whatever reason. I think the stock switch is undersized. I replaced the switch and added in an ignition relay to prevent it from happening again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:35 am 
I would definitely look at the iginition switch too. The radio is a dead giveaway. Probably the only reason it acts up on hills is that the engine is pulling hard and the spark just isn't strong enough. Good luck.

Post subject: luv cutting out
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:04 pm 

:( First I want to thank you guys for your help on this. I took your advice and went ahead and took out the iginition switch. Since I have six complete sets, I tried them one at a time .. and still the ignition cuts out. Truck will run fine a low RPM's.. sputters a bit, but once I go up hill or up to highway speed it cuts out. I though may be the vacuum advance on the distrubuter but I sucked on the hose and it worked fine. My next thing I am going to try is replace the distributer cap again, the points, condenser and check the timing again... just for the hell of it. Please keep the ideas coming. I will try everything! This may end up costing me a fortune. My LUV truck to me is worth a million but I WON"T go a million one.. got to set some limits. Thanks again. Matt justcruisin66

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:17 pm 
Try looking at the coil and spark plug wires. I the coil is breking don under high loads this will cause your problem, look to see if it shows any sighn of arcing. Also plug wires can slso break down uder high loads and run fine at cruise and idle.Make sure that the wires are not touching any metal especilly any thing that gets hot, and they shouldn't touch each other they can cross fire if they touch even new or high preformane. Have you made any preformance mods? If you have upgraded the engine or fuel system your stock ignition might not be strong enuogh to fire under high demand situations.
Hopefully this helps I hate getting stumped on drivabillity problems.

Post subject: luv cutting out
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:17 pm 

:?: :?: hi everyone, well i went to the auto parts and got a new set of wires, a coil,cap rotor ,points plugs,condenser,carb cleaner,air filter ,, i'm going to install all this stuff and let you know wats up///one thing my truck did to day was blow a fuse.. the one for the fuel pump and emissions....i put a new one in and then it was fine... but what would blow it ????.?????,,,,my truck is and 1975......matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:40 pm 
Maybe the fuel pump is going out. If the fuel pump is working too hard(pulling too many amps) it can blow the fuse and cause adriveabillity problems. I didn't know it had an electric fuel pump when I suggested the other answe5rs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:53 pm 
:idea: HEY JUSTCRUISING66
EMAIL 4LINKLUV THIS GUY IS A WIZ AT THINGS THAT STUMP EVEN THE BEST OF US !!P.S. YOU DONT HAVE ANY FUEL LINES NEAR HEAT DO YOU??
JUST A THOUGHT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:51 pm 
Hi i would look at the wire that goes to the coil from dist-for cracking in the distubiter and grounding that wire out .when you give it gas the advanceing plate turns and if that wire is bad it will short out hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:59 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I would like to hear what happened with this? Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:37 pm 
I may be off the wall, but if the radio is constantly going off at the same time, sounds like power source(electrical), if it is the ignition the radio would still play would it not, im not a machanic by far just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:36 pm 
fuse blowing on elctric fuel pump, if I remember correct, the wire runs underneath the right hand side of the truck, then crosses over to the pump
which is located behind a crossmember( on the left hand side of the truck). The wire could be chaffed and rubbing on the frame. the wire could be wore underneath the right hand side to.this is if your running original fuel pump.original location. I havn't worked on a luv truck in about7 yrs im just going off the top of my head hope it helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:40 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

:? HERE IS A THOUGHT SINCE THE RADIO IS CUTTING OUT AT THE SAME TIME. CHECK YOUR POSITIVE BATTERY SUPPLY DOWN TO THE STARTER.IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE A MAJOR DIRECT SHORT. IT HAPPENED ON MY CAMARO ONCE I DIDN`T CATCH IT BEFORE TERMINAL MELT DOWN SET IN. IT DID IT FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS,WHEN I PULLED THE MOTOR I COULD SEE THE ARC MARKS ON THE HEADERS