LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:58 pm 
I'm Really in need of this site! I just bought a super clean 78 stepside for 200 bucks! I need Power! I have a 1978 Elcamino thats beat to crap but it has a freshly rebuilt 350 with a 350 turbo trans. I know I need mounts, & headers. Can anyone give me step by step? Does anyone have mounts or anything else for sale? How difficult of a job? I've snatched engines and dropped'em in other rides, but this is something new to me. Snatchin' both motors ain't s#!t It's just droppin' the 350 in the luv that I'm stressin' off of problems. Any help will be appreciated. I'm up here in northern cali. As soon as I get a chance I'll take some pix and post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:22 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I'd recommend the V-8 swap article in the Information section of our web site as a starting point. It will at least give you an idea about what to expect.

Welcome to the site BTW! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:38 pm 
I've read that and I know the basics but What body mods do I have to make? What special tools will I need? I'd rather pay some one to do all the work but I haven't found anyone out here in the Bay area that Isn't affraid of the project or just nuts when they quote me an estimate for the work. I am going to install a s-10 rearend and that part is elementry. This truck is to be driven daily. I'm not worried about smog. Also what can I do for Power steering?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:40 pm 
I've read that and I know the basics but What body mods do I have to make? What special tools will I need? I'd rather pay some one to do all the work but I haven't found anyone out here in the Bay area that Isn't affraid of the project or just nuts when they quote me an estimate for the work. I am going to install a s-10 rearend and that part is elementry. This truck is to be driven daily. I'm not worried about smog. Also what can I do for Power steering?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The body mods are minimal if you use the Hooker Headers and mounts. Just a little clearancing here and there in the engine comparment. The directions show you where and how much.

The only major thing is the core support. Since the trans crossmember is welded in, it's very difficult to insert the motor/trans with the core support intact. Most people just end up removing the core support.

4linkluv made his crossmember removable, which should allow you to leave the core support intact. The choice is yours.

My feeling was that I had to modify the core support for a larger radiator anyway, and since the trans cross member also supports the torsion bars I was afraid to hack it up.

I've also read about people going to a coil-over front suspension and removing the torsion bars. Then they make a new trans crossmember that's lighter and removeable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:24 am 
Addicted to LUV

if you want to buy my engine mounts I will not be able to use them.
I am going to be using a front engine plate and I was wanting to use the motor mounts to locate the front plate, but you have to weld in the motor mounts and it will be just as much work to weld in the engine mounts as it will be to install the front plate.
they are brand new and never been out of the box. the box was just opened.
I paid a little over $100 for them and I will let them go for $100 shipped if you are interested.
you can get the headers from jegs 1800-345-4545.
http://www.jegs.com

good luck. there are enough people here to provide information that your install should go quite easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:14 am 
da LUV masta

Yeah you should have no trouble doing the swap yourself. Like Ben said the only body mods are slight firewall clearancing, which can be done via "massaging" with a big rubber hammer, or a cutting wheel and some welding. Most guys take the core support out just inside the two U shaped rails that run up from the frame mounts and just make two clean cuts. Some of it is creativity to, on how you do the trimming. Just follow the hooker directions and you should be fine.

---------------------------------------------
63 Nova
74 Camaro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:44 am 
I am an auto technician and can tell you that you will not find a shop that will do the work and not charge you an INSANE AMOUNT OF CASH. I am sure that you can do the swap yourself and use the cash you were going to spend on labor on parts (the list gets longer than you might think and seems to keep growing as the project progresses).This website is a wonderful source of info (and seems to be the only place for it), and everyone is very eager to help. As far as modifying the core support for the swap it is much less complicated than modifying the trans crossmember, and if you plan on running a bigger radiator (I recomend a good aluminum racing type like a Griffin or BeCool, Summit also offers one of their brand for $169.00 cheap) it will have to be modifyed any way. Good luck and enjoy building your LUV. :D