LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: stepsides
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:21 pm 
I'm sure that there is at least one stepside luv owner on this forum. Where did these things come from? I know they weren't built by Chevy. The fenders at least are fiberglass. I remember there were a few around home when I was a kid. If I saw more than one in nowheresville oregon, then there must be quite a few out there. Anyone know if the beds are still made? I have a few issues of Hot Rod from the eighties, and I'm trying to find a possible source. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 7:09 pm 
Feel the Steel

The only company I knew of is California Step Side somewhere in SoCal. They were big in the 70's and 80's. I am not sure if they are still around but could be?? The fenders were fiberglass and the bed was steel. My buddy had one on his 84 Toy. There are a couple of them still running around Denver, but I can never catch up to them.

RIP R.J.B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:34 pm 
I checked the 1986 Hot Rod annual, and in the manufacturers index a company called California Step Side Manufacturing is listed. Unfortunately, the company seems to have gone out of business. I guess the search continues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:05 pm 
Feel the Steel

That what I figured. You will probably just have to wait till you come across a used one. I see them everyonce in a while on Ebay (whole truck) and somebody else just posted they picked one up recently. They are out there but you will need luck on your side. I have been looking for a flex-thru window since 85, have only seen one and the jerk (lived 2 blocks from me) wouldn't part with it. I offered him $100 (they were about $85 new) plus my old window and I would do all the install. The truck was a total beater, I should have just did a midnight auto run on it!! :P For those that don't know, a flex-thru was a rear window that opened on the sides by the doors kind of like the way a sunroof opens. If any of you know of where I can locate one of these, PLEASE LMK!!!!!! Thanks

RIP R.J.B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:51 am 
da LUV masta

I have seen a handful of stepsides around here in Redding area. I just saw a light blue one this weekend that was in respectable shape, I think it was a 78 or 79.

---------------------------------------------
63 Nova
74 Camaro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:40 pm 

I had to take the used route. I purchased a second LUV last year just for the stepside bed. I believe I found mine on Collector Car Trader Online. I have seen used one's on Ebay frmo time to time.

Good luck.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:28 pm 
Thanks for all the info. I have a fairly good lead on tracking down my cousin's original pickup. I figure that even if the rest of the body is shot, the bed can be repaired and the fiberglass fenders should be good. I can also use the frame. from what I have gathered, the engine and transmission mounts were built and installed by a good shop, and the truck had a 9" rear. So, I will probably also use the frame. The six bolt slotted mags will be the hardest thing to find in good shape. Anywho, I will let you know as the search continues.

glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

good luck on the frame as these things were notorious for rotting out
my first LUV (a 81) we had to weld the frame back together w/ angle iron

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws