LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 1980 4X4 owners: SCORE!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:05 pm 
Hey all,

I have an 80 4X4 that I am fixing up, and I've read here a few times that you can get weather striping for the doors from mid to late 80's Isuzu Troopers. So the other day I took a trip down to my local import junk yard to see what they had. They had a few Troopers out there, so I was looking through them all trying to find the best weather seals. Well, while I was removing one from a door, I happened to look over and noticed that the Trooper I was in was a manual 4X4, and the tranfer shift knob looked really familiar. So I took a closer look and it is the same as the one on my truck! Hot damn! I needed one of these, since mine is worn and beat up and this one was in pretty good shape. So I'm taking it off, and then I see them! The shift boots!! They looked just like mine! This Trooper happened to have both the tranny and transfer boots in good condition. I took them off too, and took them home and compared them to the ones on my truck. They are EXACTLY the same! I had been looking around for a generic set at auto parts stores since my boots are cracked and broken. I couldn't believe it!! Jackpot baby!! So if you are like me and you need replacement shift boots and knobs, this is what you need to know:

The 1980 4X4 (I'm not sure about 1979, but it may be the same) has shifters that are bigger in diameter at the bottom than other older LUVs I have seen. The bottom of my shifters flare out to about 1.5" in diameter. So these shift boots from the Trooper will only fit LUVs with this shifter.

I only found these on 2 Troopers in the junk yard. They were both a 1985 2 door Trooper II with manual transmissions. All the other Troopers were either auto tranny or the manual boots were made different, so I dont know about other years or models. Also I dont know if the tranny shift knob is the same as ours (4 gear pattern on top?) but the threads are the same as ours. So I am still looking around for one of those.

Anyway, just wanted to share this find with you guys. Hope this helps someone out!

Tuf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Good info.

It's becoming evident that the Isuzu trooper has quite a bit in common with the LUV's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 11:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

good find,
the tranny may even be the same, b/c the junk eng that i bought just for the head bolts (long story :roll: ) was first in a 4x4 luv then it got pulled out and put in a trooper b4 it spun a bearing.

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:28 pm 
this space for rent

i dint bother whith stock shift nobs. My luv has aluminum T-shifters, if you have the money they are cool.
Thanks for passing on the info, im shure this be usefull soon!