LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: please help!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 5:58 pm 
I am in real need to find out what gear ratio my luv has in it. my rear end has went out and i need another one . i hava a 1981 luv 4x4 with the 2.2l diesel . i really need help! Can anyone at least give me some advice on how i can find out??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You can use the "Shade Tree Mechanic" method to get an approximate number. Raise the vehicle so the tires are off the ground and mark the tires with chalk or something like that. Crawl under it (after you've secured it with jack stands of course) and mark the driveshaft with chalk or something like that. :) Spin the driveshaft by hand and count how many driveshaft turns it takes for the tires to make one rotation. Make sure that both tires make exactly one rotation.

This will give you a ballpark idea. For example, if it takes 4 and 1 tenth turns of the driveshaft per 1 tire rotation, then you could guess that you have 4.11/4.10 gears. As you might imagine, it's not the most accurate method.

If you pull the carrier out of the housing you can get a little more accurate. Mark the ring gear (the large one) and count the number of times you have to turn the pinion gear (the driveshaft yoke) to get the ring gear to make one rotation. Even this won't give you an exact number but it will get you closer.

The best way would be to find out what ratio came with your truck using the VIN. Unfortunately I don't know how you would do that. Maybe someone else can help you out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Not sure if you noticed but someone already answered this question in the Drivetrain section of this forum. click here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 10:38 am 
Addicted to LUV

you can also count the teeth and divide the pinion # into the ring # of teeth this will give you an acurate #.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 11:55 am 
I really thank you for the help, but the pinion gear has completely stipped all the gears off of it. I can't tell if there are 10 teeth or 1000 teeth it has been completely destoyed. Also i did see the post about the gear ratio in the other section , but does that include 4x4' s or is that just 2wd's??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 1:14 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You could always find the gear ratio of the front axle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:41 pm 
After futher and close observation. I can barely see it, but I could tell that the pinion gear has ( or shall I say had) 10 teeth and the ring has 41 teeth. That would give me 4.10 gears. In the article from the drivetrane section , Bob stated that standards have 4.11 gears, would their be much if any difference in the 4.10 and 4.11 gears, and do you think it would be safe for me to try and put an axle from an automatic luv in it since it has the 4.11 and my front axle has 4.10 gears. I don't use my 4wd much but if I do I don't want it to mess up my front axle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:21 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

It may have been 4.10 instead of 4.11....its been a while....sorry i could be wrong. If you have a shop manual, it might say in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:09 am 
Thanks Bob. I am going today to local salvage yards to see what I can find . I have also got a hold of someone else that has a 4x4 luv and he has given me some tips. Thamks for all the help!!!!

Post subject: Diesel gear ratio
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:40 am 
I too own a 1980 LUV 2.2L diesel. I believe the gear ratio to be 4:10.
Counting the teeth on the ring gear is another way to tell.
Hope it helps.