LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:49 am 

Hey everyone, new to the site here and just bought my first Luv. I have always liked these trucks and wanted one, and the chance to snag one up just presented itself so I went for it. Got it from a local guy about 20 mins from where I lived, so worked out great!. Its a 1974 with a 4cyl 4 speed (I believe its a 4 speed anyway). The truck runs, sorta. It was a project truck that hasnt been put all back together, and thats where I stepped in to buy it and get it back on the road. They previous owner has bought a ton of new parts and included them with the sale, so that was nice. There are some parts/pieces missing and that need to be replaced however. I am going to start calling junkyards around Michigan, where I live, but dont think ill come up with a ton of options as these trucks dont seem too abundant. So I found this fourm and will be seeking help and advice from all you more seasoned Luv owners. Here are a couple pics to get us started on what im working with!

There are a few things off hand that I am going to try tracking down first to get it back running and driving, and will then continue with the less important things from there. First, anyone know of a replacement Radiator that will be a direct fit for these trucks? I tried searching for new radiators and came up short. Also, I need a dash pad because mine is missing completely, and I am also missing most of the interior trim pieces as well. Im not even sure what all im missing yet, because I have nothing to compare it to. I will post more pics of my interior later on to get some help on that. Thats enough info to get going for now, so any help and advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Picking up the Luv from the guys house

Back home in my garage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:49 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

L@@ks Nice welcome to the page

66 Chevelle The Oldest of all the vehicles I owned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:10 pm 

Thanks, much appreciated!! I also just came up with another question for yall. So the previous owner took all the brakes apart because they were seized up when he got it and it wouldnt roll. So now I am trying to put the brakes back together and am not sure how all the drum brake hardware is supposed to attach. Can anyone post some detailed pictures of the drum brake hardware setup for the front and rear of the truck?? All I have is a box full of springs, adjusters, nuts and bolts, etc. That would be a huge help!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

PM me your address and I will send you a factory assembly manual.

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:57 am 

So here is what I am currently working with on the front brakes. I know how the pads and wheel cylinders mount, but am lost as for all the hardware. Also, I tried finding a new front brake hardware kit and can only find hardware kits for the rear. Anyone know if a front hardware kit is available/where I can find it?

And I believe most of this hardware is for the rear brakes, but am not sure. But thats what I have to work with right now

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:40 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

here's a couple pics front n back from a series 4 it should help you get going

Attachments:
DSCN1626.JPG
DSCN1626.JPG [ 995.74 KiB | Viewed 9704 times ]
DSCN1627.JPG
DSCN1627.JPG [ 1 MiB | Viewed 9704 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:37 am 

That helps a ton, thank you! that wide definitely get me started

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:31 am 

i have two radiators if you still need one let me know, also have chilton's book 72-81 not selling the book but i will upload pic of anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:59 am 

travisdme wrote:
i have two radiators if you still need one let me know, also have chilton's book 72-81 not selling the book but i will upload pic of anything.

I do still need a radiator. Where are you located? Also, the only thing im not sure of on the front brakes now is how the adjusters/ adjuster plates mount. The pic 3rdLuvNext2a66MALIBU posted is a great help, but I cant see that part in too much detail. If you have any other pictures/diagrams/or angles of that, that would be great. Also, how to the brake lines split into the two wheel cylinders on the front brakes?
Thank you all for your help!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:43 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

justinstilson90 wrote:
the only thing im not sure of on the front brakes now is how the adjusters/ adjuster plates mount. The pic 3rdLuvNext2a66MALIBU posted is a great help, but I cant see that part in too much detail. If you have any other pictures/diagrams/or angles of that, that would be great. Also, how to the brake lines split into the two wheel cylinders on the front brakes?
Thank you all for your help!

I looked thru My 75 Truck pics , nothing of the front wheel/brakes & So all i have is the book. my trucks are newer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:54 am 

ahh gotcha. Well thank you for checking! Anyone else have a picture they could lend?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:00 pm 

I live in central Washington. the pictures in the book look like the one that is posted already, i will see if i can get some close up pictures of that part of the brakes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:51 am 

travisdme wrote:
I live in central Washington. the pictures in the book look like the one that is posted already, i will see if i can get some close up pictures of that part of the brakes

Okay, sounds like you might be a little far away to get a radiator from. I may have one locally but it would have to be re-cored. So I may just suck it up and go that route.

And I also have some good news regarding the brakes! I sat down last night and pieced it together and figured out how it works, so that is a good start. Unfortunately the previous owner took both the front drums and hardware apart and looks like im missing all the hardware and components from the drivers side. Im going to try getting in touch with him to see if he has that stuff laying around somewhere, but I may have to source that stuff from somewhere. As far as I know, they dont sell hardware kits for the front drum brakes of these trucks (I at least could not find anything). If someone else knows something different, please feel free to correct me. Thank you everyone for all the help so far, its been very beneficial! I will post some pictures later of how everything goes together just in case someone else is in the same position as me in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:29 pm 

Also, another question for you guys. I got a new water pump with the truck that needs to be installed, and it came with this thin paper gasket. Should I use that gasket (seems kinda flimsy to me) or just use some rtv?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:19 am 

Ok, so just in case anyone else is wondering, here is how the front brake drums are assembled and operate. I was able to figure it out after piecing it together and really studying it. I found this diagram after the fact that helped reassure me of what I was thinking (you always find this kind of stuff after you need it haha).

The adjuster plates (shown below) are held on to the back of the brake shoe with the large hold down springs. They pivot on a stud that is integrated into the back of the shoe. These move up and down and push the pads in and out. They are held in place by the unique end of the return spring that puts pressure on the end of the adjuster plate which has notches in it (works kinda like a ratchet to hold the adjustment). Definitely a unique setup, but im glad I figured it out considering I started with nothing to reference and a box full of misc parts. I am missing all the hardware (2 return springs, 2 adjuster plates, 2 large hold down springs/pins, and two small springs for the shoe to wheel cylinder) for the drivers side unfortunately though. The previous owner is looking for them, but if he cant find them does anyone on here think they might have those extra parts??

And diagrams of the whole setup

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:48 pm 

so just a little update for anyone who may be interested. I have found the parts I was looking for to get it back on the road and am just waiting to get them in the mail basically. A couple members on here were able to really help me out with this, so that was cool. Solorado1 had a brand new NOS radiator that fit my truck, and he wasn't too far from me so I snagged it from him. WildLuvRacing1974 is getting a bunch of misc. parts together for me off a truck he is parting out, and mytmouz was kind enough to send me a repair manual in the mail. So thank you all for your help so far, its greatly appreciated!

Im getting all the brakes back together and working on running all new brake lines currently, then on to sorting out some wiring and plumbing to get it fired up and in running order! I will have to post some more pics soon of the progress