LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:05 pm 

I've never owned a Luv, or even driven one, but my girlfriend and I would like to pick up a small truck. There's what seems to be a really nice Luv near me. I'm wondering what things I should be looking at for. What the common problems areas are.

If someone who is knowledgeable would like to shoot me an email I can send you pics and give you some more details on the exact truck. I'm thinking its a steal and am worried someone might try and beat me to it, haha.

The most important thing I'll be looking for is rust. It's been recently repainted though. He said the bed was removed and replaced with one that wasn't rusted at all. The owner said he put an anti rust coating on the entire bottom of the truck before he repainted it. From the pics he's sent me it looks almost new. 4x4, new tires, rebuilt transmission with new clutch, new brakes.

The biggest downside is that he only repainted the exterior. The engine bay and I think the door jambs don't match. not a big deal to me as it's never going to be a show car but I assume that might devalue it a bit.

Any help would be appreciated. If someone wants to talk with me about it shoot me an email biniaris at gmail.com

Here's to hoping it's worthwhile and I can join the Luv community.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Location will help with a few issues. Rust is a issue in the rocker panels, some have had frames rust out etc. Post the pictures here and we will pick it apart for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:14 pm 
da LUV masta

I agree that your location is a major factor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:57 pm 

I'm West Coast so not gonna be Salt rust at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:01 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Nope, you guys keep strictly to regular rust in the Pacific NW :wink:

...seriously though, if you can afford to get a truck from down south a ways, do yourself a favor. Rust presence will most likely be your governing factor in your hunt for a truck, given how bad some of them get. The sheet metal on LUV's is thinner than larger American trucks, so it wears through quicker if left to the elements.

Also, don't worry about little things like paint mismatch 'devaluing' the truck. You'll have to get used to the hiccups and imperfection inherent in owning a classic vehicle. Don't be discouraged. They are all somewhat unique like that after 40 years.

If the one you found runs well, and you can't find any major cancer on the frame or in the wheel wells, you're probably on the right track. After that, ask the owner if he/you can take it to an unbiased general mechanic to give it a look. This will cost about 100-150 bucks, but it is worth it. I cannot express this enough. It's the best way to avoid buyer's remorse 6 months down the road.

Have the compression checked, the clutch, etc, and of course ask him to have a better look around for rust.
Also ask him to report any other oddball things he finds. If he thinks it's worth the deal, jump on it and don't look back.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:29 pm 

do re mi ka do wrote:
Nope, you guys keep strictly to regular rust in the Pacific NW :wink:

...seriously though, if you can afford to get a truck from down south a ways, do yourself a favor. Rust presence will most likely be your governing factor in your hunt for a truck, given how bad some of them get. The sheet metal on LUV's is thinner than larger American trucks, so it wears through quicker if left to the elements.

Also, don't worry about little things like paint mismatch 'devaluing' the truck. You'll have to get used to the hiccups and imperfection inherent in owning a classic vehicle. Don't be discouraged. They are all somewhat unique like that after 40 years.

If the one you found runs well, and you can't find any major cancer on the frame or in the wheel wells, you're probably on the right track. After that, ask the owner if he/you can take it to an unbiased general mechanic to give it a look. This will cost about 100-150 bucks, but it is worth it. I cannot express this enough. It's the best way to avoid buyer's remorse 6 months down the road.

Have the compression checked, the clutch, etc, and of course ask him to have a better look around for rust.
Also ask him to report any other oddball things he finds. If he thinks it's worth the deal, jump on it and don't look back.

I'm not new to cars so I know a lot of the basic stuff to look for. I've been an avid Subaru guy for years and drive a 23 year old Subaru with 300whp so I know my way around an engine :) My ideal "truck" is a brat, but they've proved even harder to find in rust free condition, even on the west coast.

The dude lives in the middle of nowhere but it looks like there's one decent mechanic in town. Maybe I will have him take a look at it...they might be best friends for all i know, haha. As long as the engine feels fine to me, that's easy stuff. Rust and major body work is the ONLY thing on cars that scares me as i have no experience with it. I'll for sure get down under the truck and look at the wheel wells and the frame.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:55 pm 

Here's the pics of the truck the seller sent me. I'm supposed to go see it later today so any input would be appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/dP12N

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:43 pm 

So no one scared me away from it. Driving the 3 hours to go buy it now. Hopefully this isn't a shitpile. From everything the guy's said it's running perfect with no rust.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:43 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

BiNiaRiS wrote:
So no one scared me away from it. Driving the 3 hours to go buy it now. Hopefully this isn't a shitpile. From everything the guy's said it's running perfect with no rust.

Well? What's the verdict?