LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:56 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

lol, if you want you can have a look under the bonnet of my florian next time your down this way! if you want to compare the two side by side i can supply more pictures if you want!
I have noticed a lot of differences from my 69 florian to the 76 Luv!

1976-1980 Isuzu tub for the luv or kb
Nissan GU Patrol
Ford Falcon AU ute

Never buy a car you cant push.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:05 am 

I picked up the Luv today!

Drove the 100kms home without missing a beat.

It is definately a G161 engine. It has had an electric fuel pump fitted but everything else looks to be stock. It is very slow! but managed around 100kms/hr on the highway home.

I am going away for the weekend so I won't have a lot of time to work on it for a few days at least however I picked up a little AUX input only amp and some speakers to go behind the bench seat. Now I can at least have some tunes while I am driving.

There is rust in the footwells. No holes in the floor that I can see though. There is a few other rust spots, some that will need attention and some that I may just treat.

The plan is to cut the headboard off, Have the wheels powdercoated red, Whitewalls, 3 inchs lower and the rear leaves re-set and a dash cap.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Regards

Nicko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:24 pm 

mrflibbles wrote:
definately, looks the same as my bellett & florian engines, just with a cast head. There is a small demand for these engines still (I have a spare one i am planning on rebuilding). Does the current engine turn over? They are a great little motor. I am dissapointed the 76 Luv I have has the later G161 Gemini motor!
heres a picture of my Florian engine to compare!

Hi mrfibbles

You seem to know a bit about these engines, most of the information I can find online is for the 161z engine. Do you know of any way to get a little more poke out of the motor? Also do you know if the g161z and g161 share the same bell housing mounting?

Nicko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:51 pm 
Australian LUV Guru

A weber carb will wake it up and bell housing mounts are different.

LUVTRKR wrote:
It does have a license plate so technically it is a street truck, that sets off car alarms and makes kids cry. lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:52 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Is that a column shift? Interesting. Not something I'm used to seeing on a LUV. Also those motor mounts look like they match up to the style and position of the early LUVs in the US, 72-75 that had the early style non-crossflow G180 engine. They are farther forward than the 76 and later mounts. I would never have guess that you'd have so many differences besides just the obvious position of the steering wheel.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:20 pm 

800xl wrote:
Is that a column shift? Interesting. Not something I'm used to seeing on a LUV. Also those motor mounts look like they match up to the style and position of the early LUVs in the US, 72-75 that had the early style non-crossflow G180 engine. They are farther forward than the 76 and later mounts. I would never have guess that you'd have so many differences besides just the obvious position of the steering wheel.

Yeah is is a column shift! Which I really like and would prefer to keep hence my question about the bell housing. It seems my luv is a bit if a weird example. I don't think all of the Aussie delivered cars had column shift.

OzLuvTrucker wrote:
A weber carb will wake it up and bell housing mounts are different.

I will have to investigate the manifold and what my options are. Kits for the 161z are plentiful. Perhaps the carby adapters are the same.

Here is a quick mockup.

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:54 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

not a lot to hot up these early engines here, i would recommend the weber on it and convert the points to electronic. They are not by any means a fast engine in a heavy luv or florian, but are reasonably popular to put in a bellett to replace the 1500 they come with!
my luv which is a later one is also column shift & i love that feature!

she is a nice looking luv, will be watching for updates on it!

Nissan GU Patrol
Ford Falcon AU ute

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:30 pm 

mrflibbles wrote:
not a lot to hot up these early engines here, i would recommend the weber on it and convert the points to electronic. They are not by any means a fast engine in a heavy luv or florian, but are reasonably popular to put in a bellett to replace the 1500 they come with!
my luv which is a later one is also column shift & i love that feature!

she is a nice looking luv, will be watching for updates on it!

Do you have a webber on any of your engines mrfibbles? If so what carby and jetting would you recommend? I am not looking for a fast engine so to speak. Just something to help it on the hills and give it a bit more pep at highway speeds. It has already had an electric fuel pump.

Mexican blanket, dash cap, 8 ball knob for the column shifter, atlas whitewalls and a few other bits are on their way. Also I have fitted a totally hidden sound system using 6 inch speakers in boxes behind the bench seat and a little marine aux input receiver and amp up under the dash. Plug the iPod nano into this and I can get fm radio and mp3 playback. It sounds surprisingly good.

Pictures when I get home on Monday

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:13 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

i dont have a webber on any of mine, it is part of the plan for my spare 1600 engine at some point. I have a friend that used a webber from a 4.1 falcon on his 1500 bellett, had to jet it down a bit but it worked a treat. there is alot of info on here about the webbers the guys use. I have the standard carb/points & fuel pump on my florian and it goes quite well, the carby is rebuilt, and i have to reset the points every so often (will rectify this with electronic points at some point).
with the standard set up 4 speed box & 4:11 diff gears in the florian it manages a fairly acceptable 70-80mph on the open road! its no rocket getting there but it will sit there nicely!

for the style engine you have it might be worth you looking at the bellett.net forums as the 1500 & 1600 engines are very similar and a lot of the bits you can do to a 1500 can transfer over to the 1600. there is a wealth of information here in the luvtruck forums and i am happy to help with what i know too (although i am no guru!) OzLuvTrucker is very cluey with our australian delivered luvs as well.

(would a twin cam engine from a bellett or 117 coupe bolt into the luv? that would make it quite lively! Sadly the twin cams are getting very rare indeed!)

Nissan GU Patrol
Ford Falcon AU ute

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:25 am 

Thanks for the tip on the bellet forums I will check them out.

To be honest, having a nice slow car is probably good for my license.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:30 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Anthiron wrote:
To be honest, having a nice slow car is probably good for my license.

I have been there too!

Nissan GU Patrol
Ford Falcon AU ute

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:05 am 

Safety Certificate is done and the truck is in my name now.

I wire brushed the footwells and did some investigating last night.

The Passenger side footwell (Drivers side for those in the USA) has a few rust holes and the metal is generally pretty thin. I will most likely have to replace the whole foot box some time soon. The inspection hole for the lower door hinge on this side was like new with no rust at all. The Drivers side (Or passenger side for USA) had only a couple of small holes but the metal here was also quite thin. The inspection hole for the hinge on this side was very rusty. The bottom was completely rusted out to the lower sill. The lower section of the front quarter panel has a large rust bubble section about 7cms in diameter that will need attention. For now I have Treated these areas with rust converter and sprayed some Fish oil liberally in all the cavities including the rear sections behind the seat on either side.

After going over this thing a bit more closely I can't help but think the design was pretty poor in many places. These things are rolling rust traps.

Stereo all installed with the cables coming out of the ashtray. The Ipod Nano is held in place small round velcro pieces.

You can see how bad the dash is in this picture :(

The Luv is now down at a suspension place around the corner getting the rear leaves re-set with a 5 inch drop and a leaf removed to soften it up a bit.

Nicko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:03 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

most of the dashes are pretty badly sun damaged on the tops, my luvs dash pad is toast too. I was just going to put a carpet style dash mat on the top until i find something better!
when she is back from the spring reset make sure you get some pictures!

Nissan GU Patrol
Ford Falcon AU ute

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:41 am 

5 inches goooooone!

It's low and slow. :)

The rear shocks need replacing as they are bottoming out internally. All in all I really happy with the stance. I had to remove the D shackle from the tow ball as it took a chunk out of my driveway when I was nosing into the garage. Oops.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:09 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

looking good! shouldnt be too hard to get a suspension place to spec up some shorter rear shocks for you!

Nissan GU Patrol
Ford Falcon AU ute

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:39 am 

I'm going to try some kyb gr2 has charged shocks. I have a set sitting around from my Volkswagen and they have the right travel. I just need to punch out the bushes.

Exhaust will also need some mods as it is contacting the rear axle on compression.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:26 am 

Dash Cap and White Walls showed up in the post today!

Got the Dash Cap fitted and cut off the headboard.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:24 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Pushrod, twincam and diesel motors had the starter on the, dunno cant think, they were all on the same side.
The OHC motors had the starter on the other side, G161-200Z and 4Z series motors.

Thats covers anything Isuzu that came downunder with a 4 cyl up to they use that crappy opal motor in the TF from 98 or whenever it was.

If you want a 5 speed, chase one from a diesel pre 88 Rodeo. After that the box was bigger and the shifter mount is different, You would have to go floor shift.

Is it pre ADR, if it is you can do what you like to it.

At Hwy speed, does it struggle because its got no balls or because it runs out of revs???

The early Florian was flat across the front, Different radiator support to the KB/Luv with the peak in the middle.
But the Luv/KB is still short in the nose, you cant fit a Jackaroo G200Z power steering pump on one.

Chasing parts for Isuzu Impulse.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:27 pm 

Hi Rodeobob

It will pull 110km/h on the highway but has no balls at that speed. I think a 32/36 webber will liven it up. Also long periods of this warm the engine up quite quickly so I am looking at fitting a thermo fan as a replacement of the Crank fan.

I will do the carby conversion first and see how I go before I look at pulling the gearbox. I definitely want to keep the column shift so that is a handy hint about the 5 speed box.

Got these back from the powder coater the morning before I had to fly back to work. Getting these to the tyre shop is the first priority when I get home!

Nicko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:09 am 

Bought a few more goodies.

New side mirrors

Hubcaps (Going to get these powdercoated white and then paint the Bowtie red to match the wheels/Whitewalls)

Also ordered this seat cover to have a go at re-covering my bench seat. Hopefully it fits well.

http://www.ezsofttops.com/p-2657-1982-9 ... vinyl.aspx

Going to repaint the door cards with red Vinyl paint.

Nicko

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next