LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:14 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I'm at a complete loss. I'm no audio wiz, nor do I plan to be, but I'm getting frustrated with the sound quality my speakers are putting out.

I have a sony xplod 600w amp I've had for several years, and only 2 speakers hooked up. They're little 6 inch SSR speakers (350w) also several years old. There's no sub hooked up, (there was at some point, years ago and it sounded great, but speakers still sounded like crap). I've taken the speakers back to who I bought them from and they've blasted them with no distortion, no nasty sounds, nothing. Could be because they have full audio systems, but the guy was telling me that I should still beable to achieve a nice sound from them without tweeters, mids, lows, subs, whatever.

Can anyone tell me how to set up the speakers to get decent sound out of them? I'm not expecting anything mindblowing, but something that sounds good and not distorted. I've ensured I don't use any equalizers using any bass, made sure the head unit wasn't set to any crazy settings. It seems like I was getting better sound with just the speakers hooked to the head unit, without the amp. I know there has to be some way to get better sound with just an amp, and 2 speakers. Or maybe I'm just dreaming? :lol:

I should add it's a 4 channel amp.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If the speakers sound ok with being hooked up to the head unit and like crap with the amp then the amp would be your issue.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:11 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Luvrv8 wrote:
If the speakers sound ok with being hooked up to the head unit and like crap with the amp then the amp would be your issue.

I hooked up a sub (from home audio system), it sounds great, clear lows, clear highs and mids. But as soon as I pull off the sub, distortion. I'm assuming it's trying to send all the low's to those speakers and they just can't handle them. Gotta find a cheap sub now.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:37 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

How the hell do you even fit a sub into our trucks? i have a 12 inch sub that iwanted to put in, but after looking at it for a long time i realized there was no way it was gonna fit.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:53 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Justin68 wrote:
How the hell do you even fit a sub into our trucks? i have a 12 inch sub that iwanted to put in, but after looking at it for a long time i realized there was no way it was gonna fit.

get a slim enclosure. fits right behind the seat. at least in mine it does, and it's all the way back. I have at least a 3 or 4 inch clearance behind my seat with it locked in place.

edit;

and once you get the sub in..

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:23 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

That tablet mount is the coolest thing ever! What size sub to you have?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i had a 10" behind my passenger seat with the amp under the seat, i didnt make the box so it didnt fit perfect so the seat was 2" from all the way back. if you make a wide and shallow box you can fit a 12 behind a seat if it isnt a really deep one.

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:41 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Justin68 wrote:
That tablet mount is the coolest thing ever! What size sub to you have?

Nothing right now. I've been using a 5 inch pioneer sub from my house, in a ported box, fits perfectly behind my seat. But I have to keep it inside for the wife to enjoy her movies and music. Planning on getting a 6 or 8, since the cab is so small, and building a slim box.

And the tablet mount is so ghetto, but it works. It's a piece of string, with a belkin case that I purchased with the tablet, tied to the ashtray. It's really sturdy though and you can't really tell unless you're looking.

Here's to hoping I don't get pulled over.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:52 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Justin68 wrote:

I'm using a slim powered sub and fit's under my seat so I still have some behind the seat storage. It won't win any competitions but it's more than enough bass for me. This combined with two 6x9s works well. I've got wires run for front speakers but I'll be damned if I can find a good place to mount them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:43 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I realize mine isn't the same truck, but I probably have about the same space issues behind the seat as you 1st-gen guys. I got a pair of shallow-mount 8" subs in individual custom enclosures behind the seat (one on each side). They don't carry midrange or high signals--I got a pair of Pioneer 6.5's in the front kick panels. The 2nd-gen had some small holes for factory speakers up there, and my installer used a 1/2 spacer and the new 6.5's fit just fine.

He sold me on a Pioneer head unit, because it comes with adjustable high- and low-pass filters, and enough power to drive the subs without an amp. They won't break glass, but I can drive 70 on the interstate with windows down, and drown out all road noise with it. :D

My head unit also has Bluetooth and it pairs with my phone and my daughter's iPod. It has HD Radio--it's digital like satellite radio, but free. And I can play music from my 32 Gb flash drive, too.

Jack