LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How will it sound?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:07 pm 
hey guys, i've questioned this before in another post, but i want some feedback as to how my new engine/exhaust setup will sound when its done. Its a '70 model 4-bolt main 350 thats currently in the truck but bone stock. The rebuild will include a cam with 488 exhaust lift and advertised 292 duration, and from what i've read requires a 2500 stahl. the heads will be the stock cast heads with some minor upgrades and valve job. The block will be bored, honed, and square decked. A 10:1 flat top piston will be used. An edelbrock rpm perfomer intake with an edelbrock 650 carb (possible 750, havnt decided have both) will also be used. Gonnna probably run the block hugger headers i have and I'm gonna run a gear drive instead of chain. Also gonna get flowmasters to replace my little turbos. Let me know what ya think about how it'll sound and how it'll run-Gus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:38 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I run the same intake w/650 and block huggers w/ dual flowmasters and a RV cam (dont remember the lift and duration). it sounded pretty good while i had it in there (its back under consruction right now, gettin new trans).

Post subject: have it. like it.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:15 pm 
I have a 350 / 350 and ran a high energy lumpy cam. Ive rebuilt it three times, always upgrading, and the lumpy idle with a semi quiet pete jackson turns all the heads. go with the 750. I've had both, and ended up with an 800. Makes a huge differance. I've also run a predator. Lookout! Ran too rich. I'm tubbed, ford 9, N20. Sounds like your on it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:30 pm 
cool, thanks for that input...my biggest concern has been that i bought enough cam for the sound i want along with the street cruisin in mind...i think i will switch to the 750, dont want it fallin on its face, starvin for fuel!! anyway thanks...rebuild should be underway in the next few weeks-Gus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:22 am 

How can you ask what its gonna sound like without giving us your exhaust info? Yeah, the cam will give it a bit of rumpity rump, depending on the lobe seperation. I personally hate flowmasters. Borla, dynomax,magnaflows all flow better, and dont sound hollow and drone like the flowbastards. need more info :
what is the lobe seperation on the cam?
what size exhaust tubing?
exhaust out the side, dumped at the rear axle, out the rear of the truck?
Dont buy a gear drive. They take horsepower away, and todays chains work awfuly well.
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:17 am 
Addicted to LUV

phil wrote
Dont buy a gear drive. They take horsepower away, and todays chains work awfuly well.

I will have to agree with Phil on the gear drive. even though they sound mean as he!! :twisted: - more friction= less horsepower.
the belt drives offer the least friction, but they are of course the most expensive out there.

I am going to be running a cloyes double roller chain on mine.... :lol:

and my $0.02 on the sound thing.....dump it out at the axles. with the info you have provided you will be happy.....all I know is that you can build 2 engines just alike and put them under different cars and both cars will sound different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:20 pm 
Well, to gear drive or not. You can dump the gear drive and find a few ponies for the few times you need ALL the horsepower, if you actually plan on racing. Or you can throw it in, take the hit, and tell everyone out there, "someone's been in this motor"! A mildly whining gear drive is the gift that keeps on giving! Nothing added to a motor shouts high performance more. DOOOOOOOOOOOO Ittttttttttttt! 8)

Post subject: Re: How will it sound?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:58 pm 
Should sound real good. Without knowing the specs on the cam, it sounds like a 114 degree lobe center which will give it a noticeable choppy idle. If that same came were to have a 108 or better lobe center, damn it would sound downright nasty. That combo with Flomasters... dont worry, people will be able to tell that theres a little something more than just a stocker V-8 under the hood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:20 am 
thanks again for the most recent input...I am definitely goin with the gear drive...i could care less if i lose a few ponies, like i said i'm not gonna drag it much if at all....i want a cruiser that hits a mean exhaust lick and will beat the rice out of all the hondas and such around where i live. the s-10 i had about a year ago did just that, but it had to go so i could concentrate on the luv. I will probably run flowmasters, i actually like the way they sound, i know its a common muffler, but oh well....the pipe will be 2 1/2 inch aluminum (dont want it to rust) and i cant decide whether i should turn the pipes down behind the rear axle or if i should run em out somewhere, right now they come straight out the back with some oval chrome tips, looks ok, but i really want it to rattle some bones when its runnin....again thanks for the input, keep it comin-Gus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:31 am 
by the way, my cam card doesnt have a lobe center or lobe separation listed...not sure on what that means anyway?-Gus :?