LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Stop crushing the LUVs!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:50 am 

Almost every time I tell someone I have a Chevy LUV they say "oh those are hard to find!" but usually they tell me some story ending in... "it got crushed" or "so and so had one but they crushed it".

I went to a junkyard today and they told me they had two that were recently crushed, and I'm like wtf! lol

Whenever I call a junkyard around here to ask if they have one or parts for one "we crushed all those years ago"...

Sorry I just had to share that, I think it's bullshit and it makes me feel like everyone who owns a scrapyard/junkyard is out to destroy them haha. There are plenty of other vehicles (like boring sedans) which they can crush if they are not selling enough parts wtf man...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:23 am 
Jedi Pimp Master

Supply vs demand.
When a new car is wrecked there is a pretty good market for cheap used parts. Once the cars begin to fall out of useage the car becomes less valuable as a parts donor simply because no one is driving them. At this time they are basically sitting taking up space and just rotting away if they haven't been picked clean. So it becomes a financial decision let it sit and rot or crush it get some $ and replace it with a more current model. Simple no brainer.
If it was a Camaro, Corvette, or even a Caddy let it sit but low traffic low sell vehicles, see you later.
Now somewhere down the road a car becomes "collectible" and if you managed to hang onto it that long well parts become valuable again.
Some cars like Luv's, Mustang II's, Monza's, Pinto's just never became collectible. So wrecking yards just look at them and say"no prospect of return, no on the roads, none being restored ever, crush it.
Sadly, I would guess the total number of running driving Luv's might a 1000? And, if you look at the super cherry truck just listed in the classifieds $3K to $4K I'm not sure it will bring that much $.
Rare but still not very valuable.

SRAD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:55 pm 

I get what you're saying, totally.

It still pisses me off though lol, I wish more junkyards would get online but sadly I don't see that happening for another generation...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:46 pm 
Feel the Steel

You are about 20 years to late for this movement. Like SRAD said, why would salvage yards hold onto obsolete trucks with a VERY tiny following that people want, taking up valuable space, esp when 90% of the trucks left arent worth fixing anyway and they can get instant money for the metal?? Not that I dont feel the same, but I am a realist. I wish we could stop all the idiots who get them and destroy them, making them scrap metal. :evil:

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:57 pm 
Addicted to LUV

They have been long gone for years down here .If there was a remote chance of one being around , it got crushed when steel prices went through the roof a few years ago .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:17 pm 
Jedi Pimp Master

You guys have seen the pics from the "Pearly Gates" thread I'm sure. I'm sure this is the single largest known collection of Luv Trucks left anywhere. And as these guys have more than enough room, no need to crush them. But from the last time I was there I would guess they have crushed over a 100 older '70's cars. So I find it surprising the mini trucks have survived( there are about an equal amount of Datsun, Nissan, Mazda, Rangers. The stuff that gets hit first is all gone. What remains won't really have much value to most, but rust free fenders beds and doors, motor parts and transmissions tons of hard parts that are no longer available, and almost priceless to those in need. As this stuff gets more difficult to find, if we don't help each other out, we will be forced to do without. This trip I didn't really score any parts for MY truck just for others, I did get some shoulder belt mounts for the Camaro, but mainly focused on being a team player. Stick together guys! Help each other out!
On a side note:
Early second gen Camaro's have pretty much crossed the $15K mark. This makes them pretty much out of the common mans reach. But Camaro owners are for the most part really good about passing second hand parts down to other owners for a small or neglidgeable price. Putting a little cash in their pocket and helping the guys with smaller budgets that can't afford to play the "Camaro game" .
We really need to do the same guys

SRAD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:58 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

California will pay $500 to take them off the road, then they crush them (because they're "high smog"). If someone's got one that's a little beat-up, or runs rough, it's worth more to just sell it to the state.

I've never done that to a Luv, but I've done it with other vehicles.