LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: More Training
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have been a pilot now for a couple years. A couple of months ago I started IFR training. IFR is basically learning to fly in the clouds without being able to see a horizon, in a nutshell trusting your gauges and leaving all sences behind except sight. Sounds easy right, ask (I know you cant) Kennedy Jr. He basically flew his plane into the ocean and most likely thought everything was fine. So for the last 13 hours of flight my instructor(called a CFII) has me fly around with glasses that only let me see 3 foot away. 3 days ago as we were flying he tells me take a break and lift the foggles, I did to find myself in a cloud. It lasted for 20 seconds. The next day he calls me and says to meet at my plane in 20min, I say its soup out there, solid clouds fron 1200 feet to 3800 feet, he said great training weather. So we get a IFR clearance from Camarillo to Oxnard, its not a straight shot, you have to climb to 4000 feet and get to the ILS 18 miles east of oxnard, air traffic control vectors you around as they see fit. So we take off, 1200 feet and in the clouds, several min we pop out at 3500 feet, so cool to do it the first time, then we decend through the clouds on the ILS, call a missed and do it all over. I got 1 hr of actual IMC flight time. Man this is fun but much harder then getting me private cert. Next flight I will ask my CFII to get some pics. I am pretty sure there was more water rolling off my forehead then the windshield. Here in pics of my trustie airplane, I am sure someone will run the N numbers, yes its older but it is all mine. It only has 6000 hours total time with 300 hours on the engine.

Post subject: Re: More Training
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Man, thats is awesome. I have always wanted to have the time and money to get my pilot licenses. I have been up in small aircraft and went above the cloud cover. It IS an extremely wonderful/surreal view/feeling.

About a year ago I found out that my girlfriend had never flown. So there is a little airport right next to where I work, one day a guy was giving plane rides for like $20 a person. I came home and got her and suprised her when we got back to the runway. :lol: After a few minutes of coaxing I got her in the plane. After the takeoff she was fine, LOVE IT....until the landing :lol: But she still says she cant wait to go up again :D

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Very cool. I almost was gonna call you for breakfast this morning, Karl. I delivered a small crane on Santa Rosa road. But it was only 730am so I blasted off back to Long Beach.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:43 am 
Addicted to LUV

Hey Karl, you should go out this weekend and practice emergency landings. The 405 would be a great place for it. :lol:

For all the non so cal people on here, this is whats going on this weekend with a 10 mile stretch of 405....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... start.html

http://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp the red area on this map is actually closed and empty freeway right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Funny you mention the 405 carmageddon, I flew to santa monica to pick up the guy who bought my harley. Getting around that mess in a car is a joke, I went over it at 125mph.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:15 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

That is awesome. I've always wanted to learn to fly. Up here in WA. I work with quite a few who have their sport licenses. One guy retired, lives on the runway to a small airport and actually has a hangar instead of garage. He flies his family places to camp. What a life! :)