LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tell me what you think?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:13 pm 
I have a 74' Chevy Luv that I am building to drag race, 350 sbc. I also have a 74' Ford Courier that I am going to haul my luv to the track with. I am going to put a 351 sb ford in it. What do you think?

Post subject: i think
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 2:09 pm 
I think you will be better off towing it with a full size car or truck. the weight of your luv and trailer will far excede the weight of your courier making it a very dangerous. The state patrol probably wouldnt appreciate it either. Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:25 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

A Ford Courier is like Chevy LUV size, and it probably would have a hard time hauling all that. I'd say get a full size truck that is diesel and you will have no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:55 pm 
OH-OH!!!!!!!!!!

i had been planning on building one of mine as a racer and one of mine as a hauler.........do you really think the weight issue will be a problem if i get the trailer tongue weight balanced out pretty well at the trailer axles.....

i planned to balance the tongue weight to an almost neutral level so there wouldn't be a huge force pressing down on the haulers' rearend......

i had never even considered the trailer/racetruck combined weight being more than the haulers weight issue.........i know for a fact that a 4400 pound 3/4 ton GMC 2500 HD truck is rated to hauler an 8,500 to 10,000 pound trailer depending on the tow package chosen as an option.........

what gives??????

thanks,

rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:14 pm 
I have to agree with Bryan and LuvDiesel on this. I don't think the issue will be weather the Courier has the power to pull the trailer and Luv. The SBF should have enough power to pull but will the truck have enough braking power. Remember the Courier's braking system was designed to stop the weight of a 4 banger and a small load. If you drop a V-8 in the Courier your braking ability will go down in reference to the pulling load. I have seen oversized loads being pulled by small trucks continue to slide past red lights and the look of the driver showed he had no control. :o It's fun to have the horsepower but you have to be a little careful about inertia. Just a thought, although you would have 2 wicked trucks at the track. 8) Not many people could trailer a race car to the drags and end up racing with both the race car and the transport vehicle.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:45 pm 
If you try to tow a vehicle or trailer with a tow vehicle that is grossly lighter that the combined load, the load will "push" the tow truck around corners, throught lights etc, causing jack knifing at best.

I would advise against it. I am a design engineer for a utility truck body manufacturer and I have to deal with stuff like this every day. Trust me it is not safe!

GILES5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:03 pm 
Feel the Steel

Yep, the ride to the track will be wilder than the one down the track!! 8O
Mini trucks were never designed to haul anything bigger than something like a utility or motorcycle trailer. Build them both and then get a beater fullsize and a trailer to haul both of them, that would trip people out having two rival race mini's. You could prove single handidly the Ford vs Chevy fued! :D

RIP R.J.B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:50 pm 
Addicted to LUV

yeah bad bad idea :!:
and besides there is just something WRONG about a ford PULLING a chevy (bbbrrrrr give me chills)

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws