LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: s-10 rear there are 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:11 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

FOR THOSE THAT DIDN`T KNOW LIKE MYSELF. THERE ARE 2 DIFFERENT S-10 REAR ENDS. THE 2nd VERSION PRODUCED AFTER 1988 MAY BE A LITTLE STRONGER. IT HAS A 7 5/8 RING GEAR WITH 28 SPLINE AXLES. THEY ARE STAMPED 7 5/8 ON THE RING GEAR IF YOU PULL THE COVER. NOT ALL OF THE S-10 HAVE THE BIGGER REAR SO YOU NEED TO PULL THE COVER & CHECK8)

Post subject: S-10 rear end
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:14 pm 
I ran the pre 1989 rear end and a set of richmond 3.73 gears, and auburn pro posi unit with no problems. The only change you have to do is the universal, and use the s-10 shock mount plates. And of corse, 5 lug wheels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:13 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

:twisted: I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THE 75/8 . I FIGURED IT MIGHT HANDLE A LITTLE MORE ABUSE. IT HAS THE SAME PINION SPLINE WITH 28 VERSUS A 26 SPLINE AXLE.
WHAT KIND OF TIMES ARE YOU PULLING WITH THE V-6 ?

Post subject: s-10 diff.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:04 pm 
When I was running the s-10 rear end, best ET was 12.4 @ 113, now I am running a Ford 9"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 7:05 am 
The 7 5/8" rear end was a stop gap measure that Chevy used to bolster the strength of their rear ends to handle the fairly torquey 4.3 liter v-6......

It is strong enough to handle a V-8 all day long......Just ask the V-8 S-10 crowd......They will be the first to let you know that the 7 1/2" rear is a grenade waiting to happen but the 7 5/8" will handle up to about 375 horsepower with out fear......

The 7 1/2" has a weaker ring and pinion and the axles are really skinny and pron to shearing off just past the splines........the 7 5/8" axles are ALOT thicker and are hardened fiferently to withstand the extra torque......

BUT!!!!

If you go over 400 horse.....you are living on borrowed time.....

Just thought I'd chime in on this topic seeing as I actually had some knowledge on a subject for a change..... :o)

Rich Jerozal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 11:16 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

:twisted: cool thanks for the info . i think i`m gonna drop one in my truck until i can aford the 9". i already have rims,tires,& driveline laying around that will fit the s-10 set up.so right now this is the quickest & cheapest way to get it up & running. thanks terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:11 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Also keep in mind there is 2 different width.4WD rear ends are wider so be sure and measure.

Post subject: rear end
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:13 pm 
Can anyone tell me how to spot the 7-5/8"version? did all the 4.3lt's come with that rear or is there a tag part#? The major parts yard here is famous for not letting anyone in the yard... and I dont know if they will actually pull the cover to check. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:44 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

the only way that i know of is to pull the cover.it`s stamped on the ring gear right behind the part #.i found these rear ends in both 4& 6cyl. i found just as many 7.5`s in the same year & engine type trucks.maybe someone knows of the the external casting #s that could id them.don`t forget to check the width to. the s-10 and blazer came in 3 or 4 different widths. i found an 88 blazer 4x4 with the same width. good luck.
terry