LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:58 pm 

I've gone off the deep end...

I'm swapping an Isuzu 4ZC1-T engine into my 1980 Luv 4x4.
I picked up the motor from a guy that beat me to the punch on buying a 1989 Isuzu Impulse from a junkyard. He bought the car for the same reason I did, the Isuzu motor he planed to swap into his Chevette.
At first I talked him into selling me just the exhaust manifold and I was going to turbo the original G180 that was in the Luv, but then I asked him if he'd sell the turbo, then the head, then the engine, and eventually he agreed to sell everything with wiring harness. I made out like a bandit.

Recently I've picked up an '86 Isuzu Trooper for additional parts. From this Trooper I will grab:
1) 5 speed transmission
2) Flywheel and clutch (8.5" should mount to engine same as the 4ZD1...?)
3) Upper control arms
4) Extra front end parts in case I ever break a 4x4 shaft or hub
5) Brake rotors and calipers
6) Possibly the brake booster
7) 4.56 rear axle and 4.56 front axle
8) Motor and transmission mounts/cross members
9) Front driveshaft
10) Wheel for spare tire
11) Perfect rubber floor liner
12) Possibly the rear leaf springs
13) 4x4 oil pan
14) Power steering gear box and shaft

The biggest reason I bought the Trooper was for the trans swap, which is cable just like my Luv. And I'm lucky enough that the turbo motor comes from the same family of engines as that in the Trooper, so I'm hoping I'll get lucky and it'll all bolt up. :smt117

As far the body, she looks like she has been restored in the previous 5-10 years, but rust bubbles are starting to form...
Paint looks recent but was done incorrectly... But the pinstripe looks AMAZING.
Little damage to the rear bed sides, looks like someone had a tool box in the bed and turned a few rough corners, perfect digs in the bed sides from the outside in the shape of a toolbox...
And the larger tires might have chewed up the fender while backing out of the driveway...

But she'll get done... eventually.

In the mean time, here are a few pictures. Could use any and all suggestions. Especially with the motor swap. Also what else I can pull from the Trooper.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG [ 424.53 KiB | Viewed 58618 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 pm 

Well... It's been a while...

Stripped the Trooper of everything I need from it, except the front axle, rear axle, cross members, and brake booster.
(Pic below) Parts for sale if there are any Isuzu guys out there looking for body panels.

Also completed a compression test on the 4ZC1-T and I'm confident I don't need to rebuild it for a while (budget build). I'll have to hold off until I can afford it, plus I still have A BUNCH of wiring to do before she will ever drop in... Let's just focus on getting her running first before I invest moo-lah... (Pic Below)

My turbo was sent back to me with a note saying, "Cannot find replacement parts"...
If you need work done to any turbo OTHER... than an IHI RHB5, I'd suggest "Tim's Turbos"!! He was very knowledgeable but couldn't help.
So the search begins for a turbo. Considering a T25 with the correct flange to mount to the exhaust manifold and run custom coolant and oil lines.
An aftermarket would help anyways, then I could upgrade from journal bearings!
But then again, I found a direct cheapo replacement on Ebay.... So.....?
(Pic below)

Attachments:
IMG_1613[1].JPG
IMG_1613[1].JPG [ 2.09 MiB | Viewed 58340 times ]
IMG_1592[1].JPG
IMG_1592[1].JPG [ 2.12 MiB | Viewed 58340 times ]
File comment: Trooper-Front
IMG_1677[1].JPG
IMG_1677[1].JPG [ 3.7 MiB | Viewed 58340 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:13 pm 

Oh!

I also have a heading on body work.

I was ashamed to admit defeat and realize that I will need to fix and cover up some of the beautiful pin striping on the bed side and lower front fenders...
But I think I have a good idea once it's complete. I want to go with an "early 80's Baja" look. Below is a pic of how I plant to mount the light bar, and spare tire.
I also acquired some Dick Cepek Super Off-Roader lights that will mount to the bumper between the push bars, and some Hella lights for the light bar.

To add to the "80's Baja" look, and to cover the rust repair, I've found a custom sign shop that will work and design vinyl decals for the sides that will incorporate the original "4x4" logo with some added touches that I've wanted to include. I have a VERY ROUGH design, but I'll post pictures when it's finished.

Until teardown begins, I'm just trying to prep all the new parts to go in. It's car show season again here in KY, trying to make as many as I can and miss as little as I can.

Attachments:
IMG_E1188[1].JPG
IMG_E1188[1].JPG [ 181.35 KiB | Viewed 58340 times ]
PSYW7874[1].JPG
PSYW7874[1].JPG [ 1.88 MiB | Viewed 58340 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

That truck looks pretty dang good as it sits can't wait to see it come together

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:15 pm 

Well I’ve officially pulled all the parts I need from my parts truck. I haven’t decided if I want to go with the 4.56 gears or leave the 4.10s in the Luv. I see the advantages especially with the larger tires, but the point is to make this a cruiser, and she struggles on the freeway as it is...

But it was just so much easier to cut out the full subs I wanted as opposed to tearing down the single parts I needed.

Hopefully this Trooper will be out of my driveway in the coming days.

Last chance for parts!!

Attachments:
0F6BA948-8252-4EA6-BDC1-690EBD430918.jpeg
0F6BA948-8252-4EA6-BDC1-690EBD430918.jpeg [ 163.3 KiB | Viewed 58295 times ]