LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:12 pm 

So I got this 1980 Chevy LUV for next to nothing. It was site unseen, and even while part of me wishes that I saw it first, I am really excited to work on it.
It has been sitting for 7 years 8O with a broken front windshield 8O

I'm planning to see if I can crank the motor over by hand and then if I can I'll flush all the fluids and see if it will fire up.
Then it will be onto other fun things like brakes, interior, oh windshield, and a Weber.

This is going to be on a bit of a slow budget but I'm hoping to put a lot of time into it.

Oh and its covered in moss and a little bit of surface rust.

The odometer reads 61,130. So I'm going to see if I can find out if the odometer has rolled over once before already.

Here's where shes been sitting the last 7 years, poor thing.

And some kids were nice enough to throw a rock through the window 7 years ago.

I would say the seat is due for a replacement.

Hard to see in this picture but the dash is destroyed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:38 am 

Good luck and keep us posted buddy. I got myself a Luv as well, not sure about all of its details but I'll figure that out once he had landed. Almost in the same shape as yours.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:16 am 

So this past week I was able to get it home and shop vac the entire truck.
Then I pulled the plugs to inspect. They look like fairly new plugs and nothing was out of the ordinary.
With the spark plugs out I put some marvel mystery oil down the cylinders and let that sit overnight.

The next day I changed the oil. The. Old oil was pretty nasty. Replaced it with some new oil and a quart of marvel mystery oil. Then I tried to crank the engine over by hand and it moved all the way around smoothly!

Then I drained the fuel out of the tank. Looks pretty nasty and I'll have to pull the tank and clean and line it.
Changed the fuel filter while I was there. I was trying to use the fuel pump to do the draining for me but it wasnt working so I still have to diagnose what's going on there.
Next with the battery hooked up to a charger and with the spark plugs still out. I tried cranking the motor over. And it cranked just fine. I did that a few times till I saw fresh oil through the oil fill hole.
The nest step was kind of nerve wrecking. I pushed the truck out of the garage and put the spark plugs back in. Hooked up the wires. Then with my new see through fuel filter before the carb I pulled the fuel line coming from the tank in the engine bay and found a tiny funnel the fit just right. Put some fresh fuel that was mixed with some Lucas fuel treatment down the hose to fill the bowl. Then sprayed a little starter fluid down the carb.
And with the fire extinguisher nearby I tried to crank it over... And after a couple seconds it fired right up! :D
It ran until it ran out of fuel and then I repeated the process a couple of times.
I then did my happy dance and cleaned up for the night.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:21 am 
Addicted to LUV

Nice!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:39 am 

Called the local radiator shop to get a quote for cleaning out the gas tank.
They want $150 just to clean it, OR $200 to clean AND line it. 8O
I must say I wasn't expecting it to cost that much!

My other option would be POR-15 gas tank kit which I found for $63.00 on Amazon.

I'm currently leaning towards letting the shop do it though just so I don't have to mess with it.
So the tank will have to wait for some extra cash.

Until then I'm ordering a carb rebuild kit and getting a new battery and gas cap.
I had to destroy the old gas cap since it was a locking cap and the previous owners couldn't find the key!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Pay the extra to have it lined. I tried to cheap out on one of my old ones and it plugged right back up.

Have you considered a weber carb? The hitachi carbs aren't that great and are a real pain to rebuild.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:08 am 

drummerforhire wrote:
Pay the extra to have it lined. I tried to cheap out on one of my old ones and it plugged right back up.

Have you considered a weber carb? The hitachi carbs aren't that great and are a real pain to rebuild.

Yea I think I will have the shop line it.

And I do really want a Weber. My dad used to have a Dodge D-50 that had a Weber on it and I loved driving that thing. That just stretches my budget quite a bit. But I know I would be way happier with the Weber.

I may just hold off on the Weber for a few weeks and worry about other things like making sure the brakes work. And gutting the interior.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:24 am 
Addicted to LUV

Working brakes are always a plus
I have been able to find webers at picknpull on other old trucks they are out there for cheap online too

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:46 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

L@@KING good & sounds like you doing the right course of actions in order.....keep it you'll have a good truck.
& That manual is on its way

66 Chevelle The Oldest of all the vehicles I owned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:16 pm 

love4theluv wrote:
Working brakes are always a plus
I have been able to find webers at picknpull on other old trucks they are out there for cheap online too

Good call on checking picknpull. I will also keep an eye online and try to be patient with finding one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:24 pm 

3rdLuvNext2a66MALIBU wrote:
L@@KING good & sounds like you doing the right course of actions in order.....keep it you'll have a good truck.
& That manual is on its way

Thanks, this website has been extremely helpful in planning what to do on the truck. And the manual will be even more helpful.

So it appears the fuel pump is bad. I need to get a volt meter to make sure that it is getting 12 volts back there but the test light confirmed that it is getting power when I try to crank the motor. I would like to take the fuel pump off and make sure the ground is clean and see if the filter in the pump is clogged. Then with it off the truck try hooking 12 volts to it.
If the fuel pump is bad and I plan on getting a Weber then should I just look to get a fuel pump that is rated at 3psi vs getting a stock pump and a fuel regulator?

It also appears the brake master cylinder is leaking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:20 am 

So this weekend the LUV finally got a much needed bath!
I taped up the hole in the windshield to help prevent more water damage and went easy with the hose around it. I didn't dare try washing the roof yet for fear of the windshield or my tape job not holding up.
My girlfriend even got the LUV bug and help me wash it. It helps that the truck is her favorite color.
After some serious elbow grease and simple green, it started to look like a truck again!

After the outside was nice and clean I took the old seat out.
Man there was a lot of dirt under there.

Took out the floor liner and vacuumed it all out.

Only two small holes in the floor pans. But once I sand it down a bit I'll know what I have to work with.

I scored a bench seat out of a Nissan pick up for $20 on craigslist this weekend.
I'm happy that it has an arm rest!

So I cleaned it up a bit and put it in the truck to check out the fit.

I will have to make some new mounts for it. But I'm really happy with it!

I also picked up a fuel pump but didn't have enough time yesterday to install.
And I'm watching a couple Weber carbs on Ebay right now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:29 pm 

Well today was a nice and hot day. Got up to 104 :esurprised

Got to install the new fuel pump. After cussing a bit and getting really sweaty and fresh fuel line on. It still had the stock fuel pump on it.
Then I pulled it into the driveway and stuck the fuel line in a can of fresh gas mixed with some fuel cleaner.
Tried to fire it up and the fuel pump wasn't getting juice. Pulled out my new manual and went to the wiring diagram to figure out how to hop the fuel relay.
Well that got fuel to the carb but then it wouldn't start. Just crank. When I turned the key to 'ON' none of the dash lights would come on.... Huh weird. I flip through the manual for quite awhile. Then hop on here and see what I can search up.

Decide to see if there are any gremlins in the fuse box. So I roll all the fuses around and take em in and out. Tap a couple things here and there and hook up the fuel pump relay without the jumper wire. Then I try to start it again and it starts right up! :lol: :lol:
Needless to say the fuse box is going to get a good cleaning soon and I'll be checking all the ground points too.

Let the truck run for a few minutes. Revved it up and it sounded good and it idled great.
Noticed a small leak in the exhaust.
I even got to drive it into the garage! I was surprised how well 1st gear grabbed on the incline of the drive way.
It's getting pretty exciting and I can't wait to get it on the road! :D :D

Got a new master cylinder on the way, should be here next Saturday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:06 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

a new weber 32/36 from weber direct is 239.95 (electric choke)
http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/category-s/689.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:21 pm 

I picked up a second job so the LUV was left alone in the garage for awhile.

I finally dropped off the gas tank to be cleaned and lined. I picked it up today and it looks beautiful!

Then I stopped at the local junk yard to see if they had any LUVs or Webers. No luck on the LUVs but the guy behind me happened to hear that I was looking for a Weber and said that he has one on a blown engine in his trailer. He said that he had no use for it and let me take a look. It was a 32/36DGEV!!!!!!! :smt041 They guy let me take it off his hands for $20!! :ebiggrin It was off a jeep, so I need to get the right adapter plates and linkages, along with an air filter.

Tomorrow's plan is to blow out the metal fuel lines, replace all the rubber fuel and vent lines. Then mount the gas tank up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:59 pm 

Made some progress recently.
Got the tank mounted, all new rubber hose. Nice and clean.

I started working on cleaning the carb and getting it ready for install. The air filter/housing and adapter plates are in the mail and should be here in a few days.

I noticed as I was working on it that for some reason it has a manual choke. Even though it has the 32/36DGEV stamp on it. So I may go manual choke with no cable for a little bit. I can order an electric choke from Webercarbsdirect for $12.95. So I'll get it once I'm closer to actually driving it.

Cleaned the turn signal assembly in some vinegar then sprayed it with a silicone lubricant to protect it. It was stuck in the left position but now works almost like new. A bit stiff but works as it should.

I took both stock bumpers off and I really like the way the truck looks without them. They are bent up a little, but could be straightened up if anyone is interested? I may straighten them myself and throw them on craigslist in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:35 pm 

Project looks like it is coming along great! Who did the work on your tank? It looks good and I am thinking about getting mine cleaned and lined as well. I'm in So. Oregon as well and would like to go to someone that does good work. Hope you get it up and running soon. Maybe we will pass each other on the road some time! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:40 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Each other is all a Luv is going to pass..lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:54 am 

kodak25878 wrote:
Project looks like it is coming along great! Who did the work on your tank? It looks good and I am thinking about getting mine cleaned and lined as well. I'm in So. Oregon as well and would like to go to someone that does good work. Hope you get it up and running soon. Maybe we will pass each other on the road some time! :)

Glad to hear there's another LUV down here! I had Medford Radiator do the work. It took them about 3 days and $200 and it looks like new again. I contemplated doing it myself with the POR-15 kit but after watching some videos on it, I thought I'd let the pros handle it! I'm really happy with it, and they even put a drain plug in the bottom of the tank!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:38 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Make sure you blow into each of the vent and return lines to make sure the POR 15 didn't plug them. I prefer the Caswell two part sealer over POR 15 because it only takes a day to dry instead of a week,but since you have lots of other things to work on,it won't be an issue. Keep up with the updates,it's looking good.