LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: D33R's 1980 4x4
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:22 pm 

Hey everyone, new guy here from Southwest Idaho. Just purchased this 1980 Luv 4x4. She's a little rough but I like it. Paid $450 for it not running. Got it home and the only reason it wouldn't run was the fact that the points were completely worn out. Found a new pair in the glovebox and now it runs! Previous owner had some kid working on it for him who put 3 new shocks on it, a new seat in it, and new coil, plugs, condenser, cap and rotor, etc, but never got around to putting points into it.

Now the main problem I have is that everything is missing from the rear passenger side brake drum. I have a hardware kit with the springs and stuff, and I just ordered new brake shoes, but I'm still missing the rod that goes between the two shoes below the wheel cylinder, and all of the automatic adjuster stuff from the bottom of the shoes. Anybody know where I can get replacements for these? or any other vehicles that run similar ones?

For now I just want to get it on the road and drive it. Floorboards are almost rusted out so I will be cutting them out and welding in new sheetmetal soon. The rear passenger shock mount is broken off so I'll have to fix it, and PO must have hit something because the bumper was shoved up into the grille, so I will straighten out the grille as much as I can. Right now just can't wait to drive this thing.

-1980 Chevy Luv 4x4
-1988 Chevy K2500 (Build Thread)
-1956 Studebaker Pickup (Build Thread)

Post subject: Re: D33R's 1980 4x4
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:55 am 

Little LUV has gone through quite a few changes since my first post. After not being able to find the hard parts for the brakes I bought a junkyard disc brake Ford 8.8 axle out of an Explorer and swapped it under it. A VW Baja bug shop got me an adapter fitting to match the LUV's metric brake line to the 8.8's SAE brake line. Started building an adapter for the driveshaft flange but never finished it. Capped the rear of the trans and drove the truck for a year as a Front wheel drive (4x4 with no rear driveshaft). Definitely one of my favorite vehicles to drive.
^^was curious about this since the day I bought it, so had to see if it fit on the 77's flatbed. LUV how small this thing is.

Then this year the big changes started happening. Bought a disc brake semi float 14 bolt out of a 2000 GMC 2500 and a High Pinion Dana 60 out of a 94 F350.

Picked up a full size square body stepside bed. Shortened the bedsides 2 inches to match the wheelbase better. Sold the old flatbed to a friend that put it on his 92 S10.

Big thanks to Roadrunner Fiberglass for these custom 8" bulge Baja fenders for the front end!

So that's how she's sitting now. Currently working on finishing up fabbing the bed mounts and waiting on rear spring hangers to finish up mounting the rear axle. Next will be building a custom coil/3 link setup to mount the Dana 60 up front. Not 100% decided yet, but leaning towards a 5.3/NV4500 swap once the suspension is done. Being a broke college student has slowed down this project quite a bit, but I'm slowly getting stuff done.

-1980 Chevy Luv 4x4
-1988 Chevy K2500 (Build Thread)
-1956 Studebaker Pickup (Build Thread)

Post subject: Re: D33R's 1980 4x4
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:56 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Nice little project