LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:30 am 

Wondering what i should do to this luv that sat for years w/ gas in it. Turns over but wont stay running...i know just buy a weber right?! Haha i will but i dont want to clog it right away...also came with two stock carbs. Basicly asking u guys what would you do if you bought this truck? What kind of tune up would u do?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:42 am 
Addicted to LUV

when i got mine it had been sitting a couple years with an open fuel line and some real old nasty gas in it so i ended up buying a few gallons of new gas, hooked a piece of hose on the fuel line in the engine compartment so i could pump the tank out into a bucket until the tank was empty enough for the pump to start picking up air
put that bucket aside as garbage gas since it was nasty and had some visible water in it
then poured in some fresh gas, ran the same cycle of pumping the new gas thru and out of the tank and repeated that process a couple times until the gas coming out was "clean"
and to be safe i let the last cycle of gas sit in a bucket over night, came out in the morning and took another gallon or so from the top and cycled it thru again and poured in a bottle of HEET to make sure no more water was in there.. i probably wasted 4-5 gallons of new gas this way but it got the tank cleaned out without having to pull the bed and drop the tank and i didn't have problems.
lot cheaper than a new weber although the weber is completely worth the money vs the problematic stock carbs.
if you have reason to believe there is rust in your tank you will want to drain it, pull the bed and tank and then use one of the tank coatings to be sure you don't get rust flakes clogging filters

of course when this is all done with you will NEED a new fuel filter, i recommend replacing the one in the stock location by the pump and adding one up by the carb to make sure no crud gets knocked loose from the fuel line and causes a clog in the carb
im sure someone will come on here with a much better way to go about it but that way worked for me

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Change the oil and filter. I would put some Marvel Mystery Oil in it too. Change the oil again after a short time... Good to go then. Of course check every thing out. If you are going to make a driver out of it, check the brake fluid lines and see if their are any leaks at the brake drums and disk calipers. If you can pull a front wheel and look at them, ad rear wheels too. After getting it running stopping would be # 1 for me. :!:

You might run some Sea Foam in the gas for a little while, several tanks. One can should do that much. Heet may work too, I have not used that before. Sea Foam is weird name, you may have to ask at the parts supply (parts house to a lot of us southern people) bigger Wal-Marts should carry it too. By the STP oil treatment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:16 pm 
Addicted to LUV

agreed seafoam is good stuff. a lot of the time you can buy two get one free depending on where your at, I find it in oreillys, napa almost every auto parts store chain lately
one in the oil and on in the gas will give it a good clean out, and leave a spare for the next tank of gas. I think seafoam has the same alcohol in it as heet along with some other good stuff to clean the engine out
when you run the seafoam in the oil make sure you change the oil quickly it will get BLACK really fast, so new filter will be necessary as well. and like papag said another oil change soon after the first to get the rest of the gunk the seafoam broke loose out of there

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:06 am 

Ok so when running the fuel pump to clean tank/lines.....how do i do that? Is it a electric pump? Would i turn key to start the prime(gas flowing) or what? Sorry i know these r rookie ?s but im no mechanic at all and i know these carbs suck...pics would be much appreciated if i could see where to disconnect ? Im sorry if im askin much basicly dnt know how to start the prime/process

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:48 am 
Addicted to LUV

it is an electric pump located in the area of the gas filler cap down on the frame. if you lay down and look up you will see it there, I believe I had mine running on a direct line to the battery with a fuse and a relay so I didn't burn the pump out, a 5a inline fuse should keep it plenty safe to run for a few mins at a time

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:59 am 
Addicted to LUV

I think a lot of the stock tanks and hoses the fuel will run right out of the hose if you take it off of before the pump, at least mine did. I am not using the stock pump or location on my step side Luv. The fuel (gas) going through the pump is what cools it. You could take the hose off the front of the pump, put a different hose and run it into a bucket to see if the gas is coming out of the pump, follow the fuel line up to the carb and unhook it there next, anf do the same thing. You can just turn the ignition switch to on but do not start it. This will pump gas into the engine compartment it you do not mind doing that. Depending on the year your carb will be on the drivers side or the passenger side. You should be able to see the fuel come out of the hose, just stand out of the cab so you can see the hose.

A lot of stuff, someone may have a easier way of doing this. :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:06 am 

so I just turn ignition on and off till tanks empty?seems like it would take lot of times to ?empty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:44 am 
Addicted to LUV

indeed it would it only runs a couple seconds at a time
what was said before your question was that you should try to remove the fuel line from the fuel pump and see if the fuel will run out on its own just with the gravity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:57 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Why not just take out the tank? It will Drain the old gas out faster and give you a chance to clean in out along with the sending unit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:19 pm 
Addicted to LUV

you have to pull the bed off to remove the tank, it isn't a huge deal but takes a buddy or two

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:34 pm 
Feel the Steel

You don't have to pull the bed, I dropped my dads LUV tank from underneath a few years back in about an half hour. It is a little tricky getting the vapor lines clamps back on but it can be done.

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I stand corrected, I keep being told the bed has to come off, maybe that is just the 4x4's with the shield?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:06 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I had to pull the bed off mine back when I pulled the tank. In the time I spent trying to wrestle it out, I could have had the bed off and the tank out

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:16 pm 
Addicted to LUV

are you 2wd or 4wd? I have a skid plate under my tank, I haven't tried to take it off but the bed removal is easy enough to be done quickly with an extra pair of hands

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:11 am 
Addicted to LUV

I have never had to remove the bed to get to the tank.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm 

ok so drained tank today and gas was very clean...I looked in carb. (window) and saw no gas in it....I tried to run pump by turning the key and trying to start and just on on position and nothing....bad fuel pump?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:19 pm 
Addicted to LUV

do you have a voltage tester or a test light? try having someone turn the key while you check to see if there is power at the pump when it is first keyed on. if not it may be the pump relay or fuse
if it has power but no flow it could be locked up from sitting try tapping it with the handle of a screw driver or a light rap with a hammer but don't beat the crap out of it, and see if it frees up.
if not it is probably new pump time

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:21 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Give it 12 volts and see if it is dead.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:27 pm 

hooked it up to 12v source and it runs and pumps