LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My '76 2x4 LUV build
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:38 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Ive been looking around for a rodeo and i cant seem to find anything under 91, how ever i did find a 87 trooper, it has a 2.3 its the same engine right?

Attachments:
Screenshot_2014-11-03-07-14-40.png
Screenshot_2014-11-03-07-14-40.png [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 12111 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:55 am 
Addicted to LUV

yessir that would be an Isuzu 4zd1 2.3L

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:17 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

juans74luvn wrote:
Ive been looking around for a rodeo and i cant seem to find anything under 91, how ever i did find a 87 trooper, it has a 2.3 its the same engine right?

I assume it would be the same engine,,, not sure if there's any differences to the Australian version though, but mine will be quite different to standard after all the work getting done :lol:

I transferred some more cash into a mates bank tonight & he'll drop it to the engine builder tomortow some time & he said he'll try to get some photos for me :P

After work yesterday I attacked the chassis with a high pressure cleaner in preparation to pull it down before sending off to the abrasive blasters,,,, I reckon I took 20kg of grease, scale & corruption off the thing LOL
But she's getting there. I'm even considering slinging the narrowed Holden Commodore LSD & disc brake rear axle under the LUV. It was meant for my 48 Holden, but it's about 40mm too narrow. However if I do that, I'd have to convert the front to the same bolt pattern?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:26 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Oh im pretty sure its not going to be normal or a stock engine. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:33 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

juans74luvn wrote:
Oh im pretty sure its not going to be normal or a stock engine. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

Engine should be back from builder at the end of next week if all goes well :)
I'm pretty excited to be honest. Costing me a lot more than I originally planned, but what the hell hey?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:35 am 
Addicted to LUV

if it is worth doing, it is worth over doing 8)
cant wait to see this engine when its done, should be a powerhouse for an Isuzu 4 banger :twisted:

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:11 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

love4theluv wrote:
if it is worth doing, it is worth over doing 8)
cant wait to see this engine when its done, should be a powerhouse for an Isuzu 4 banger :twisted:

I decided to go for a "crate Motor" :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:30 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Hahaha
In all seriousness though, I've been pretty busy with my new job, and squeezing in time on the LUV build when I can.

A couple of weeks ago I cut the rust out of the rear tub in the usual spot behind the fuel tank vent. Here's a few photos of the process I use doing patch repairs

Basic mark out of the area needing removal as seen on the lower part of the fender. First I mark it out, then make a template as a guide for the new sheetmetal. Obviously the fender will be removed prior to any cutting and patching.

Here's the section removed. I like to use a 1mm cutting disc as they cut clean and fast, plus they don't put a great deal of heat in the panel which causes distortion.

Here I've trimmed off a section from an old door with the same profiles, then slotted it in behind where I check fitment and make adjustments where needed. I also ran a nylon pad over the panel and patch piece to remove any paint and other potential contaminants, and gave it a wipe with some wax & grease remover which allows a nice work area and also to ensure optimum conductivity when welding the section.

A few years ago I bought myself a little hand held pneumatic stepping tool and hole punch in one which allows an overlap,,, much easier for nice fitment and the hole punch is awesome for spot welding. It's probably one of my favourite tools in the garage, and it's made life so much easier when it comes to rust repairs. From memory I only paid around $90 (Aust) but was worth every cent

After punching the holes, a small bolt with a nut can assist in getting the patch panel aligned nice & snug for spotting :D Sure you can get fancy with things like Kleco's, but a pack of small nuts & bolts are cheap as, and it doesn't matter if you loose them,,, just buy another blister pack LOL,,, just remember that the bolts are only to keep the work piece aligned during spot welding and remove them as you go :D

Panel hammers and slap bars on hand to make adjustments to the panel when required,,, be careful not to put too much heat into the welds, and just take your time,,, too much heat will easily distort your nicely formed patch piece and also the panel if your not careful

I used to have a chunk of brass off cut that I'd slot in behind where I'm welding to draw the heat away from the panel, but it went AWOL years ago :( but a wet rag can be used with similar effect. But if you have a bit of rust to repair, give it a go yourself,,, you can save a load of $$$ but try it out on some junk stuff first until you get confident. Just remember to be accurate with your patch piece and take your time

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:08 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

The engine isn't quite finished, but here's some photos of the head that I was sent a few days ago from the engine builder.

Head dismantled, chemical clean and media blasted,,, fresh canvas for him to start the re-build

There were a few areas of corrosion discovered after the chemical clean,,, here's after the corrosion was filled with weld before further machining.

After all the reconditioning had been done, the combustion chambers were mildly ported, valve seats machined for the over sized valves to be fitted & the head decked. A little more porting of the head is to be done,,, but just fine tuning.

Here's the induction ports honed out and port matched to the Lynx manifold,,, which has also been ported and honed. The 4zd1 mechanical fuel pump recess has also been filled due to incompatibility with the Lynx induction manifold, so an electronic pump will be used in it's place. Lookin nice :D
A lot more progress has been made on the engine build, but I haven't got any more photos as yet sorry guys :(
There was a delay on getting the crank back from a custom regrind, but the freshly built engine should be ready by mid next week if all goes to plan. I'll ad more photos of the engine as I get them :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:22 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Last weekend I finished stripping every last nut, bolt, screw bush off the chassis,,, then gave it a good clean with the gernie

I borrowed a neighbours boat trolley and flipped the chassis over to attack the underside with the steam cleaner,,, years of muck has been removed and I just need to make the decision on if I pay an abrasive blaster to strip it to bare metal, or do I do it myself with wire wheels and buff pads? I have a small sand blaster, but man,,, it'll take me forever??? me thinks I might just fork out the cash and pay someone who does it for a living :?

The two milk crates and cooler box have all the chassis bolt on bits, including front control arms, brackets, link pins etc,,, this all still needs a good bath and then strip for re-painting and the like

Everything from the rear of the chassis awaiting it's turn in pull down and full recoditioning

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:50 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

how are you going with this beast?

1976-1980 Isuzu tub for the luv or kb
Nissan GU Patrol
Ford Falcon AU ute

Never buy a car you cant push.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:54 pm 

Lets have some new pics man , if ur budget is getting low this month just get a couple cans of black spray paint, it always gets me back into the shop.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:06 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Yeah cheers guys, not much progress due to Christmas fundilation shortage & I've got some more goodies ordered that haven't arrived here yet.
I bought a tailgate from over near Perth that my cousin picked up for me way before Chistmas, but he's been real slack as far as sending it to me. Plus I'm waiting for a distributor that took quite a while to find & the bloke I bought it off forgot to post before he went on holidays :/ but he assured me last Thursday it got put in the post that day.

It's also been a headache trying to figure out which harmonic balancer I need or if it's just a crank pulley? None of the parts suppliers seem to want to give you any information on anything unless you provide the VIN (Vehicle Identificatoin Number) which they can't get their head around no matter how many times you tell them that the engine was bought from a wrecking yard (salvage yard) & the vehicle the engine was removed from is probably in China or India as scrap metal & recycled into tuna cans long ago??? I was lucky to get the VIN from the salvage yard today though, so it shouldmake things a little easier :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:37 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Hey there mate, how is your build going?

1976-1980 Isuzu tub for the luv or kb
Nissan GU Patrol
Ford Falcon AU ute

Never buy a car you cant push.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:03 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

mrflibbles wrote:
Hey there mate, how is your build going?

Yeah pretty slow. I'm having trouble locating a crank shaft boss for the 4ZD1 engine. But I did drag out the grill & headlight surrounds today & started to give them a clean up in prep for repainting..
I'm not sure if I keep it in the silver frost colour or do it in black?
I'd considered finding somewhere to send it off for plastic chroming, but I imagine that will be expensive?
So I think it'll end up black :)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:45 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Glad yo hear that your back at it. Keep us posted

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:32 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

[quote="juans74luvn"]Glad yo hear that your back at it. Keep us posted[/quote

Thanks juans,,,
Yep well I finally got hold of a crank boss,,, turns out I had to get one from the USA from a bloke who calls himself Jonny5 on another forum. It took a while to get here and cost me a small fortune, but should be worth it?
I'm itching to get back to it, but things have been put on hold due to work commitments. I'm going to be moving house in a few months too, so I might wait until after I've settled in the new place, wherever that may be LOL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:22 pm 

if you have a spare steering box , gauge cluster and glove box id love to buy them can also wait if you need to get another from a wrecking yard please!!!!!IM IN MA. USA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:27 pm 

I just saw your metal work nice work i could cut the chevy off an old tailgate you could weld in :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:40 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

cknn18 wrote:
I just saw your metal work nice work i could cut the chevy off an old tailgate you could weld in :)

FUNNY You should say that :lol:
I had a rusted up trashed tailgate from a reg bed & cut off the logo & modified mine to look more like the reg size Chevrolet tailgates

Attachments:
DSC06480.JPG
DSC06480.JPG [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 11768 times ]

66 Chevelle The Oldest of all the vehicles I owned
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next