LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: tys0ns 77 luv
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:55 pm 

While pulling out the wiring harness i discovered that my ignition to dizzy wire had gotten disconnected at some point... May have been why it quit running lol... I moved some fuses around and it stopped starting up and the gauge dash lights quit working so i assumed i messed the fuses up or somthing electrical related but it may have just been cause that came undone.. Either way it wouldn't stay running and all this needed done anyways.

I got underneath it and realized the frame somehow is way worse on rust than the body of the truck.. THeres some holes in the frame near the cab mounts so i may consider doing something with the chassis in the future.. I originally didnt want to bag this truck cause it was lower mileage original truck but now its like the truck gods are saying custom chassis build! lol

So i may down the road build a chassis out of an s10 frame.. From what i read it will need narrowed in the front end to be the same width as the LUV.. will also bag it and stock floor body drop if i got through all the trouble. This is day dreaming though as im building a bike right now and this thing is kind of on the back burner just want to get it running so i can move it around easily.

Heres some random pics of the truck and the steel frame thats being built for my bike.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:41 pm 

I need some help with my voltage regulator! I got the new harness, donor truck has the same gauge cluster and truck was the exact same as mine.. The voltage regulator is the only thing that looks completely different.. Heres some pics... Please tell me if these are inter changeable or if i should use the one off my original harness as i think its a replacement part..Just dont want to burn anything up again had to pay the greedy dude $100 for this harness.

Heres the one off of the donor harness:

Heres the one off my truck:

Front shot of both:

whole harness and fuseblock cover :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:15 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The voltage regulators look differant more the likely due to one being a non factory replacement. My guess is they are the same, if the plugs are the same I would use my original. But if the original is bad it could cause the fuel pump not to work.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:23 pm 

Luvrv8 wrote:
The voltage regulators look differant more the likely due to one being a non factory replacement. My guess is they are the same, if the plugs are the same I would use my original. But if the original is bad it could cause the fuel pump not to work.

Thanks! Im gonna try and use the better one. If it dont work ill swap it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:15 pm 

Its alive!! :D but its still dying after running for a few seconds.. Time to diagnose it.. ANy advice is appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The fuel pump gets its power from a wire that runs from a plug that runs from the right side firewall to under the truck. I would start by looking at the wiring diagram and see what wire it is, hook up a test light and see if it is getting power after the truck starts. The pump gets power while cranking the switches over and gets power after the alternator starts charging. I have seen voltage regulators that still charge not send the correct signal and the fuel pump not run. On my truck it's a brown with a red tracer, there are 2 electrical plugs going to the rear of the truck from the right firewall near the windshield washer bottle, the fuel pump wire is in the one with 4 connectors.

Now let's talk frame. If you have rust holes in the frame you are in big trouble. I am willing to bet there is much more rust that you don't see. The LUV frame is much stronger then a S10 frame. It's fully boxed and has more cross members. I would repair it or replace it with another LUV frame before sliding a S10 frame under the body. A S10 frame would be going backwards.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:37 pm 

Luvrv8 wrote:
The fuel pump gets its power from a wire that runs from a plug that runs from the right side firewall to under the truck. I would start by looking at the wiring diagram and see what wire it is, hook up a test light and see if it is getting power after the truck starts. The pump gets power while cranking the switches over and gets power after the alternator starts charging. I have seen voltage regulators that still charge not send the correct signal and the fuel pump not run. On my truck it's a brown with a red tracer, there are 2 electrical plugs going to the rear of the truck from the right firewall near the windshield washer bottle, the fuel pump wire is in the one with 4 connectors.

Now let's talk frame. If you have rust holes in the frame you are in big trouble. I am willing to bet there is much more rust that you don't see. The LUV frame is much stronger then a S10 frame. It's fully boxed and has more cross members. I would repair it or replace it with another LUV frame before sliding a S10 frame under the body. A S10 frame would be going backwards.

Im going to start diagnosing it tomorrow probably but i also dont have running lights or dash lights when the headlights are on..

Is it normal for the brake lights and blinkers to work with the key off?

As far as the frame its def in bad shape. I can fabricate and may try and patch it up for the time being but the s10 frame idea is for when i do a body off full build im going to use that frame for aftermarket availability on the front clip which is all i will use and run custom 2x3 rails all the way back.. but again thats daydreaming way way down the road haha i just want it to run and move on its own power..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:40 pm 

Tail lamp fuse blows as soon as i turn headlights on.. may be why the running lights arent working.. sshhiieettttt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:22 pm 

IT RUNS!!! haha changed the volatage regulator to the donor one and it stays runnning! Now just gotta figure out why my tail lamp fuse blows the second i turn on my headlights... I took the ground off on the back of the frame and cleaned it up but no luck... guess ill scratch my head on it for awhile.. I cant stop working on this thing.. Old shit is cool.. Haha

Edit: All my lights work other wise.. brake lights.. blinkers.. headlights.. but no running lights, dash lights, license plate light, or reverse lights but a few could just be bad bulbs.. also the little corner lights on the bed arent hooked up dont know if that would cause an issue i know in a normal vehicle it wouldnt.... theres a short somewhere or something.. idk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have seen rust build up in the sockets and cause fuses to blow. Try removing the bulbs, clean the contacts and try the lights. If the fuse does not blow, install 1 bilb at a time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:56 pm 

Luvrv8 wrote:
I have seen rust build up in the sockets and cause fuses to blow. Try removing the bulbs, clean the contacts and try the lights. If the fuse does not blow, install 1 bilb at a time.

Cool ill try that tomorrow! THanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:56 pm 

The small wire coming out of the taillight plug was smashed in both of the mounting fasteners.. Thus causing my short.. Its all good now! So happy.. If my cab mounts on the drivers side weren't rotted out id register it and start driving it! haha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:06 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

What's the plan for bodywork around the mounts?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:34 pm 

do re mi ka do wrote:
What's the plan for bodywork around the mounts?

When i can get it to the collision center i work at im just going to cut and patch the floor and plate the frame cab mounts and patch the holes in the frame for now as i cant do a body off full on project until i have the shop space of my own.. Just want to get it on the road in good shape and lower it and get some nice wheels.. Definitely going with a hot rod style little bit of rake and offset wheels ..fat tires out back.. Then when the time comes new drivetrain and body off resto..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:27 pm 

Question for anyone looking..

My dimmer switch is messed up i think? When i turn my headlights on if i wiggle the lever a little it will turn the brights on.. it also works when used correctly but just a small wiggle will cause it to change .. and when the lights are on my right blinker doesnt work.. but works fine when the headlights are off.. Im hoping its just because of the dimmer switch as it was all working fine until the "wiggle problem" started.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If you know there is a issue with the dimmer switch start with that first. There is a fun parting out a LUV here, I would contact him to get a price.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:10 am 

Luvrv8 wrote:
If you know there is a issue with the dimmer switch start with that first. There is a fun parting out a LUV here, I would contact him to get a price.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:27 pm 

Well i figured out my dimmer and headlights were acting up, i had a bad ground coming off the headlights.. fixed that and everything works.

It seemed like it had a miss while running so i began to diagnose that after fixing a small leak coming from my carb.. Turns out there was one spark plug cross threaded barely in the cylinder and the gap was smashed so as you can imagine it didnt run on that cylinder at all.. Going to heli coil it this weekend and put in a new plug and wires.

Cab mounts, oil change, and tires and i will have it on the road. :)

Do 6 lug GM wheels fit these trucks?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:23 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yes, they do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:14 am 

Luvrv8 wrote:
Yes, they do.

Thats awesome! Any definitive threads about backspacing and all that type of stuff?

Looks like the rear wheels may need a small spacer to stick out the same as the front.. Or um just crazy.. Lol