LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: my 78 luv build
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:14 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Was able to track down some factory wires hidden inside electrical tape. Truck now shuts off with the key, and the fuel pump is back to factory and no longer on a toggle switch. Up next is the carb choke. Just need to get the weird connector for the carb, and wire it to the factory choke wires. Need a temp gauge, fan, adjust shifter linkage. And tighten down passenger exhaust. Thanks for the help guys have given me so far

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:28 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Got myself a 14" electric fan today, along with a intake vacuum t and vacuum hose to run to the Tranny. My free tranny shifts pretty Damn good. Have a tranny leak at the Speedo cable, exhaust leak from not being tightened down. Was having flooding issues if I really got on it and felt gutless. Figured out you need a hot choke for the 4 barrels to open. So I wired that up, was getting ready to do a test run and it started raining and the mother got scared and wouldnt let me go lol. So test run in the morning when I fix the other leaks. Tomorrow I've got some plans, and am hoping to put some mileage on the truck. Then Saturday is the billetproof car show. I didn't think I'd make it. But I'm 95% sure ill be there :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:09 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Choke was definitely the issue. All 4 open up and wet roads+light truck+ v8 = no traction. I have to idle going up my gravel driveway or spin and throw rocks everywhere. On another note, cleaned up and wrapped some wiring, ziptied all the wires away from the motor, throttle linkage on the carb doesn't want to close all the way, still gotta bolt on the hood, attempt to take out factory voltage regulator, weld on exhaust hangers, fix leak, get new plates and some windshield wipers. Feels good to drive it once again, and am glad it took me less than a year to do so. Up next is brakes, they are a bit worn and I want to jack up the front. I scrape going over Anything it seems like.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:04 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Put some mileage on the truck tonight! Ran good, throttle is a little sticky and the battery got a bit toasty and melted a corner. Would be really nice to have a Speedo that wasn't way off and a tach. Hit railroad tracks a bit to fast, front end probably came off the ground, lowered with torsions. And besides the horrible sound my it made my gas gauge work! Haha. Billetproof tomorrow, will post pics

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:33 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Was it like this?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:14 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

frige wrote:
Was it like this?

Haha not quite! Sure did feel/hear like it though! Buttoning up a few things then off to the show. Would be great if it wouldn't rain, but at least its warm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:16 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Had a great time at the show and parade yesterday! I got a lot of thumbs ups, good jobs and a whole lot of second takes. Was nice having people with sick rides tell me I did a good job. The parade was awesome, besides some gay Honda almost rear ending me. People loved the truck, lots ran through the road to talk to me. Nice having all those hours of work pay off. Truck still needs a few things but did good. Pics to come!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:34 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Happy 4th guys! I've been driving the truck everywhere lately. Runs great, lot more power than the 1.8 and lots of looks. Only problem its having is a pretty gnarly tranny leak at the speedo cable. Going to replace the bullet and get the right one for the gearing so I can have a Speedo that isn't way off. Oh and Broke 82,000 miles today!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:05 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

some favorites from the show. the luv is puking out tranny fluid at the speedo cable, and a small oil leak ontop the intake along with coolant from the threaded overflow fitting on radiator. going to get the radiator tig welded, going to get a new intake so it can breath a bit better and fix the oil leak, then fix the tranny leak.

Attachments:
billet2.jpg
billet2.jpg [ 1001.36 KiB | Viewed 30769 times ]
billet1.jpg
billet1.jpg [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 30769 times ]
billet.jpg
billet.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 30769 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:07 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

billetproof 2014

Attachments:
billet6.jpg
billet6.jpg [ 1010.53 KiB | Viewed 30769 times ]
billet5.jpg
billet5.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 30769 times ]
billet4.jpg
billet4.jpg [ 1010.53 KiB | Viewed 30769 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:14 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

for those who have done a sbc swap and kept the factory gauges, what sending unit did you use for the oil and coolant temp gauges? ive been running around without a coolant temp gauge (yeah I know) and the summer heat is coming and would like to see what temp im running at

Attachments:
billetproof.jpg
billetproof.jpg [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 30769 times ]
billet7.jpg
billet7.jpg [ 1006.96 KiB | Viewed 30769 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:32 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

trying to figure out future plans for the luv. having another project, and wanting a new motorcycle to cruise the streets is making it pretty hard lol

Attachments:
billet12.jpg
billet12.jpg [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 30769 times ]
luv.jpg
luv.jpg [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 30769 times ]
billet8.jpg
billet8.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 30769 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Get a flat brass plug to fit the head or intake and tap it to the thread of the stock sender...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:16 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Never thought of doing that, ill give it a go! The gear drive sounds sooo good. Best $55 I spent! Just need a cam to give it a lopy idle, but that won't be for awhile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:53 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Went to enjoy this weather and take the beast for a cruise this morning only to find out the 1 month old fuel pump is dead. I have the worst luck with fuel pumps. Have filters before and after it and I know the tank is clean. This is the 4th one on this truck. My jag has gone through 5 but that's from rusted tanks. I have a 20 gallon aluminum fiel cell to fix that though. Thinking about buying one for the luv along with another pump. Scared to buy a really expensive one. It'll last longer, just don't know how much longer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:33 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

ordered a new fuel pump. an Edelbrock quiet-flo pump to be exact. wont need a regulator anymore, has a short warranty and is made in the usa. $210 shipped to my door. more than I wanted to spend, but it should last awhile and if it burns up it can be rebuilt, and best of all these are super quiet. also ordered a new speedo bullet to get rid of the tranny leak and am working on the exhaust tonight. have senior pictures with the truck Thursday so its gotta be running again by then. have them again in September but will be taking the jaguar to that one :) might start a build thread here for the jag sometime soon if you guys would be interested?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:29 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Fuel pump and Speedo bullet got here today. Gonna toss those on if I have time. Going to change both fuel filters and I want to do the tranny pan gasket while I'm at it, and fix the exhaust leak. Been working on my jag a lot lately and have been acquiring parts to twin turbo my stealth. So its slow going for the luv right now. Needs to be more time in the day

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

New Speedo bullet is in, along with the shiney fuel pump. If anyone is looking for a quiet electric fuel pump the edelbrocl quiet flow is the one to get. Getting a couple bolts tomorrow for the exhaust to stop the leak. Have to get a temp gauge, fix exhaust and give everything a once over. I'll be at the end of the world rod run in longbeach September 6th and 7th. Would be nice to meet some fellow luv truckers. Also thinking about using my 20 gallon aluminum fiel cell I had for the jag on the luv and mounting it under the bed. We shall see, depends on how clean I can get the jags tanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:16 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Put about 200 Miles on the luv today. Everything is all good,except for the fact it starves for fuel under full throttle going around 80. Pump is at 6.5 psi, but I'm still using the itty bitty stock fuel lines. What do you guys think? Put in some bigger hose?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

at one time "I was able to buy some brass adapters that went from sae(us old type threads) to metric. I hate to call them adapters but that is what they did. Male sae to female metric. I think I got them from a regular parts place or a VW parts place. Too long ago to remember. HTH seems like they had them both ways. Also someone made a little gear box that went in the middle of your speedo cable. you had to cut it or get 2 new cables. Also check with a speedo repair company they may have different gears for the tranny. I took a truck (62 chevy) that i replaced the power glide with TH350 transmission and bigger taller tires and they fixed for me, after getting a ticket for going too fast. :lol: I think the certified police speedometers on their cars.

PG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next