LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:19 am 

Some of you guys will remember seeing this truck in this thread http://forums.luvtruck.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11344

Well I have it at my house now and have been working on the swap to fuel injection! I am using a modified setup from a later model Isuzu 2.6. I will be running EDIS for the spark and using Megasquirt 2 to control everything. I will try to get some pics later today of some of the parts I have completed and update as I go along. Right now I have the computer built and mounted, the wiring harness all laid out, all the EDIS parts mounted, and most of the injection setup done.

I have a later model five speed from a Trooper that I will put in after I get the injection finished and running. I had a clutch pedal from an early model hydraulic clutch LUV and have that mounted ready for the master cylinder.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:54 pm 

Ok! Finally quit early enough to post some photos...
IAC Housing
New Gas Cap
Clutch Master
Coil Mount
EDIS Wheel and VR Mount
Throttle Cable Mount
New Wiring for MS
Welded up some vacuum outlets!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:07 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Nice work. This is a clean install, ifnitbruns as good as it looks you will have a great runner.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:45 pm 

Hoping it runs well! It'll take a little tuning to get it perfect. The wide band O2 sensor will help since it will tune itself as I drive! I got the intake all installed. Went to working on the 5 speed swap so I could get the fuel lines set up. Since the 5 speed 4/2 shifter hole runs right where the factory lines run. I'll build a new skid plate to go between the two cross members I built to protect the transfer case. Worked on the fuel pump mounts tonight, pics of it later. It will have a low pressure pulling from the tank filling a canister type filter that the high pressure pump will pull from. The return goes into this filter then the excess will return to the tank. Kinda a cheap "surge" tank with the added benefit of extra filtration and water separation. Anyway more pics...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:16 am 
Addicted to LUV

that is a damn good lookin install!
i cant wait to see this thing done and running, i made an attempt at doing something similar with impulse turbo parts but ended up selling all of it.
ctmandu did a build with a megajolt for ignition only w/ yamaha r1 carbs you could ask him about some of the timing he worked out

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:17 am 
Addicted to LUV

Nice truck . High quality , high tech build .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:07 pm 

Thanks for the compliments!

Pics of the fuel pumps and mount.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:30 pm 
LSX LUV Owner

Real nice build so far. Clean.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:14 pm 

I got back today from taking the wife away for the weekend...I brought her back even though I'll probably regret it! LOL!! Anyway I got to spend a few hours in the shop and made this...

It's a vent for the transmission. In doing some reading over on planetisuzoo I found a TSB about the transfer case becoming over-filled and it is due to the T-case having a vent and the trans not having one. There is a guy on there who came up with a way to vent the trans through the shift housing and did a write up. I did that mod before installing the trans and this is the vent for it.

Tomorrow I'm hitting the salvage yards to see about a front drive shaft and taking the rear in to get it cut down. More later...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:05 am 

So got the trans all installed and took the rear driveshaft down to get it shortened. $160 + tax for just the rear! Seemed high to me! I held off this week since I ordered tires. Stayed with the stock wheels, I spent two days sand blasting and powder coating them a couple years ago. I ordered General Grabber AT2s in 27x8.5/14. I have a two inch body lift, will crank the front bars a little, and put some extended shackles on the back. They should fit okay!
Been working like crazy! Getting all the thousand and one little things done that you have to do on something like this! Got the Innovate LC-1 installed and wired in to the megasquirt. Made a small aluminum plate to mount it to a hole I tapped on the passenger side of the trans. I still need to wire in the calibration switch and LED tomorrow. Been hooking up the vacuum hoses, finishing wiring, finishing fuel lines, finishing heater hoses, etc. Aluminum for the shroud/fan mount will be in Monday. I'll have to cut the hole for the fan and mount it. Need to order the Evans coolant for it next week. Already had the radiator cleaned and tested. Still need to get the intake tubing, make NPT bungs for the intake air temp sensor and the IAC feed, and get a filter.
Tomorrow I'll put power back to it, test out the fuel lines for leaks, see that it holds pressure. I planned ahead when I built the fuel rail and tapped a hole for a pressure gauge to make it easier. Eventually I want to go with an adjustable regulator and AN lines but it will work fine for now. I'll have to calibrate the wide band O2 LC-1 and get it set up.
Might...maybe actually see if it starts tomorrow. Just to check base timing in "limp home" mode on the EDIS. EDIS runs 10 degrees of timing if something goes wrong so that is a test to see if the 36-1 wheel I made is set up perfect. Once it is I will drill and tap the mount for the wheel to lock it down.
I'll take more pics tomorrow and report back on whether or not it runs! Wish me luck! I'll keep the fire extinguishers handy (I caught my old 280z with the TPI'd Chevy 350 on fire once and learned my lesson)!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:09 pm 

IT RUNS AGAIN!!!! She started up fairly easy but I still have tuning to work on. Will need coolant for that. Only about 100 more things and it will be on the road again! :lol:

A few pics as it sits today...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Looks great. This has to be one of the best looking upgrades to a 4 cylinder.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:19 pm 

THANKS!! I still have some work to do! Tires came in today! Tomorrow might be a snow day here so I'll probably work on some little things. I want to make something to support the throttle cable and need another support for the braided fuel hose. I'll order coolant this week but I think I have an injector that is leaking. They were some re-furbs that I bought a few years back and I have some reservations about them anyway. May just go to tha salvage and pick up a set for now! I'm getting anxious to get it on the road again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:09 pm 

Well, new injectors went in this evening. She starts and runs pretty good! I still have tuning to do! It is amazing how smooth it idles and I can adjust everything from IAC steps vs. temperature to the amount fuel being injected to the degrees of advance! Got coolant in it tonight. Go back out later and make sure it's not all over the floor. At $45 a gallon for Evans coolant it's best to try and keep as much of it as you can!

Cooling fan all set up! It's a 14" Spal.
If anyone is running a 2" lift on a LUV with Trooper injection and want the radiator in the stock location Gates 21025 fits!
Setting up the air intake...still more to do...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:50 am 
Addicted to LUV

Nice setup. That's how these trucks should've come from the factory.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:28 am 
Addicted to LUV

Definately one of the nicest 4 cylinder builds yet . Great job.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:59 pm 

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:14 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yes, very nice. I really like the routing you chose for the coolant bypass hose from the front of the head to the heater system. Every time I've had to replace one of those hoses I've considered capping off the port under the stock intake and doing something similar. The pipe behind the motor is also a huge pain. I do wonder how the heater will perform though, if you will get heat coming up before the thermostat opens or not. I think you should, that line from the front of the head is right off the water pump.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:21 am 

That was the main reason for running that tube, I hated the idea of the hose running where I couldn't see it! In running the other day it did start getting warm before the engine was up to temp. Like you, I had my concerns that it might not work as well. Time will tell if it works as well as before. I'll keep you updated as I get more run time on it. I have to put a new heater control valve on it, the old one is seeping again. I rebuilt it once a few years ago but it's leaking again.

I got the air intake tube finished up last night. Just need to powder coat it today along with a few other parts. I'm going to re-run the fuel lines as I wasn't happy with them. Plan to do a little more tuning today too. I'll update tonight with a few more photos too!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:04 pm 

Powder coated the intake tubing...
Re-worked the front bumpstops using Energy Suspensions part..powder coating sold separately!
And a mount for the new fuel lines...
And the lines connected!