LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:52 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

This is my 85 toyota wheeler that Ive had for a few months now, the cab is pretty beat up from a PO. I threw the idea around about putting a luv body on it when I first bought it but didnt want to go through the hassle. After trying to find a replacement toyota cab for a few months with no luck I came across this 78 just down the road from me for a few hundred. So what the heck I have a V8 luv and a bagged and bodydropped luv. So why not a wheeler luv as well? I need to get my head checked :lol: .

So the plan is to keep the flatbed thats on the toyota frame and just swap out the cabs build a plate bumper with an upright winch. The toyota has a fuel injected 22re with an auto trans so Im going to have to splice both the luv and toyota wiring together. Im also going to use a toyota tilt column and pedal assembly since the luv is missing some interior parts.

Anyways heres a few pics, Ill post more later

truck was repainted and pinstriped years ago but looks like it will clean up nice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:42 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Well leave it to the other guy that did a frame swap to comment on another frame swap tread. 8) Good luck with yours! I've been told toy frames are straight like luvs are. The ranger was far from straight. I swapped the ranger wiring over. It was just better wiring than the luv. I also swapped the ford steering column because it was tilt. I'm just gona throw an after market steering wheel on it. But hope your swap works out for you! I luv mine! :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:00 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Thanks

I figured out a simple but effective way to mount the cab to the toyota frame but the efi wiring will be the time consuming part. I want to make the harness so that I can swap it into another luv cab if I mess this cab up, and be able to do it without cutting any wires.

I gotta knock out a timing belt on a stupid OT car I have and then I can tear into this project. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:40 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Pulled off the ugly flatbed it had on it and put the luv bed on the toyota frame tonight, the front bed mounts are really close! I going to try to swap the cab by next weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:38 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Finally removed the old toyota cab, and put the luv body on the toyota frame today. The body mounts are very close, but the only issue Im having is room for the radiator.

Im going to remove the luv wiring harness since its hacked and dry rotted and run the toyota harness instead, since im using the toyota steering column.

Started removing the luv engine/trans and frame

Ready for the toyota frame

Toyota running gear

Had to cut both fenderwells for the shock towers, and a whole bunch of the core support on the driver side for the power steering box.

Overall its fits pretty well just need to make body mounts this week and put the toyota wiring harness in it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:58 am 

You should bib 16" out of the bed like mine and build half doors like mine :) just throwing it out their since your building a wheeler luv im putting yota axles under my luv but i like your idea luv body on yota can't wait to see it finished good work bad ass truck :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:18 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Finished mounting the cab the other day... I also moved the cab back as far as I could so the 35's would clear the firewall. Im going to do a rear spring up front swap that will move the axle forward 2". That should give me a nice front approach angle.

I still have to mount the bed and bob it 6", but all of the hard stuff is done now I just need to connect everything together minus the mounting of the bed.

tons of room behind the engine since I moved the cab back so far

flex test before I redo the suspension

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:10 am 

I like it very cool i did it the other way 94 rear84front with 1.5 spacers front

Attachments:
File comment: Here is mine
2013-11-13_12-13-49_948.jpg
2013-11-13_12-13-49_948.jpg [ 1.92 MiB | Viewed 5273 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:11 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Sorry for the lack of updates it's been a crazy long year for me. I don't have much time to work on my projects like I used to.

Since my last post the trucks been running and driving for a few months now. I ended up converting it over from a auto to a 5 speed. Next is dual transfer cases.

Bobbed the bed 8"

Also the truck didn't come with pedals and the steering was going to be an issue so I cut a piece out of the Toyota cab so I could use the pedals,brake booster and steering column off the Toyota cab.

Toyota efi wiring harness that I redid to fit the luv cab

Also built a 1/4" plate steel winch bumper for more weight on the front tires and recovery

Painted the bed and did a few flex tests to make sure the fenders clear

That's all for now