LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: V8 Layin Frame Luv
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:24 am 

Well i got a new truck going in another direction so i decided to start a new thread. This is a 1976 Luv i bought for $600 it has air ride that needs some rework the front is good but the back has been torn apart, The previous owner tore the truck down & tore up the rear setup, he said it had a cantilever setup with multese crosses everywhere he didnt like so cut it up. He had it bead blasted & torn down & than thats when i got it. I got the majority of the parts for the truck with it but i got extra stuff. I bought the truck from ST.Louis & before that the title says Oklahoma was the previous state, so anyone know this truck or anything about it, it has solid back glass tinted with a sticker that says 1 sik luv...

When i seen it in the storage unit just sittin there with how smooth the body was & how from what i could see the bag work wasnt bad it was well worth the 480 miles & $200 on gas & food round trip to pick it up i think.

Put the 17 on the next morning have the rear on now just not in pics, i got to thick of tires in the front cant fit the fenders on without hittin the tires imma work on that. All my friends think im crazy i want something this low & it aint even layed out in this pic. The guy sitting down on the right bought my blazer on the left back there to help with this truck hes gonna bag it on 22s with his 350 crate hes got.

Then tonight im mocking up my motor & tranny to see where i have to cut on my firewall & tranny tunnel, oh hey the frame has been z d so im gonna have to do some work to make it fit. I already have people/friends telling me it will never be driveable & you will never finish it, So imma show em all wrong.

If the frame has been zd on the rear & the front aint that a stock floor body drop? The bed floor has been cut the front that the core support mounts to has been cut & dropped also. The cab was never cut up. any help.

Pic of inside the bed & some parts it came with.

This is one thing i hate about the truck they put in a tag box right into the chevrolet on the tailgate, I got another tailgate to cut out the chevrolet & replace it as soon as i get myself a welder i cant keep depending on my friend to help, its time to learn to weld & get it done myself.

Post subject: Re: V8 Layin Frame Luv
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:30 am 
Jedi Pimp Master

Great start! Cool truck! Congratulations.

SRAD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:19 am 

wonder hat front lower control arms they went with?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:41 am 

It has stock front arms with bag plates not sure if they have been cut aint looked close enough yet but they are stock.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 pm 

Alright i hooked up line to the front bags & aired em up with my lil air compressor which was pretty cool to me never played with airride like that.
I got a question about my steering column/steering shaft hitting the upper control arm, seems it needs to go over half a inch to even bolt up not sure if its my wheels or what?

It looks like my oil pan is gonna hit before the frame will so i think imma half to figure something out with that also. Any suggestions guys

WETNECK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:12 am 

Well i havent done much work to the truck ive been busy but i layed the truck out to see how the rims fit & they hit the tubs in the bed so im gonna be cutting them out & adding new ones whenever i can. Ive looked around for a 4link i could afford that i could cut to length that was from a good company so far i think im going with a grant kustoms for $280.

Photo of back glass just another way to notice the truck from before. It has a texas,oklahoma,missouri inspecion stickers on windshield so its been around.

Layin frame all around its 47 3/4 - 48" from ground to roof. I walked up to it & it only took two times to learn dont step to close to it when walking up to it, i kicked the bed side im used to my foot going under it. HaHaHa

Thought id share my lil "ozark tire thumper" i picked up in a truck stop on the way to pick up the truck.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:20 pm 

Well been working on it this weekend got the mock up motor & tranny mounted got a tee with a ball valve to see how it holds air,it held up with 60 psi over night. Still need to clean up my cuts & start making the firewall & tunnel next weekend.

Front layed out with motor in

Oil pan clearance with front layed out & rear at about ride height should clear with rear layed out cause the front will go up a lil when layin on the ground.

Tire & master cyl clearance with the front down & rear a lil up cant raise the rear with the front down or it rubs.

Front at 80psi almost maxed out.

80psi & its almost maxed out not much lift but it'l work

Pic of me standing next to it & its not layed out in this pic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:42 pm 

Found some old pictures of the truck after i searched for awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:56 am 

Wow been awhile since ive posted on here i still got it. I been working on it off and on i aint working right now so not much money for it. I ordered some over axle bag brackets to install, i cant afford a 4link right now so bags over axle it is. I cut the firewall more to squeeze in the distributor & its tight. Here are a few pics ive got, more progress ahead slowly but surely.

Bag brackets

Lil tilt bed action, It really is bolted up with hinges i got a few actuators but not sure if ill be bringing the tilt back.

Mock up with intake & distributor on, had to cut more of the firewall to fit distributor. Im gonna go with stock gm exhaust manifolds for now, I got a friend who has alot of different years & styles told me come by pick a few see what will work so im going that route for now.

More to come

Wetneck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:27 am 
Addicted to LUV

:smt023

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:53 pm 

Well i started back on my truck got a new toy that will help out alot. A friend of mine came down while i was using a pos welder to learn on and said lets go buy a damn real welder to learn on. So we made a few stops around town and bought one at home depot way better than the cheapest oldest harbor freight one i was using so here's a few pics.

So i started doin work.

Finally got some help from some friends to get the bed off to start.
more to come

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:49 pm 

Went to a local car show with a friend and these were there plus alot of other rides but i wont bore you all with pics.
Heads up truck guys there is a big show coming up Midwest All Truck Nationals September 8-9 2012 Riverside, Missouri put on by Genuine Chevy Gmc Truck Club of K.C.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:30 pm 

Well im back on the truck for a bit got the cab and bed off, im cleaning up the frame plumbing the air, running fuel lines and exhaust. Im finishing up the firewall & Primering inside an out on the cab. so here are a few pics.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:52 pm 

Well been busting my ass on this truck so i can take it to a few shows around town in october still got alot to do but i think i can do this.
Started running all my airline and wiring up the valve's, i have never messed with airride so all this is new to me but im learning here are a few pics of what ive gotten done.

Got my motor and tranny in for good for now after pullin it in and out 5 times the past 2 days.

I cleaned up the frame as much as i could with what i got.

I also got my bed mounted on tonight.

Im working on this truck everyday for about 4 to 5 hours or more till its moving on its own power so more updates coming in the next day or two.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:16 am 
Addicted to LUV

very nice glad to see a build making progress things have een kinds slow on the forum lately
how much travel are you expecting from the bag setup?

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:37 am 

Thanks, and yeah its been slow on this forum. I havent measured but the frame is around 5-6 inches off ground when at full lift on shop comp.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:17 pm 

Well got it somewhat together but aint got it running yet been lazy taking a lil break on it be back on it after the weekend.
Got the cab n bed on, primed the interior and the exterior but i still got some body work to do just got tired of the bead blasted metal.

One of my nicknames was salt because my last name is Saltigerald, I was on the hunt around the house for something to turn into my switchbox and i came across this.

The headers are coming off got manifolds that fit now, they were just for show and a friend of mine was bored.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:33 pm 

Well been off and out of town working past few months but i manage to buy a few parts for my truck.
New shiftrer

a Sanden 508 and sbc mount, sending it down to KC Autoworx to get a lil work done to run it as a edc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:54 pm 

Well haven't touched the Luv in a long while so not much of an update. My neighbor's were setting up a car show for there auto tech class and talked me into getting my Luv up and running 3 days before this lil show. So for the first time i drove my truck out the garage and 2 miles or so to the High School with a friend of mine with is 1964 C10.

Us at the end when there wasn't people around and most cars were gone