LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:41 pm 

I bought this 74 luv with the intent to make a nice street cruiser and run in the new class in my area called "Street Legal Warrior". The truck already had the stock frame narrowed, built 9in with ladder bars, a cheap coil over in the rear, and a nice fuel cell and battery in the bed. other than that the truck is pretty stock suspension wise. It had a 305/TH350 in it that weighed 2430 with driver. The new setup will be a healthy 406 with a 250 shot and a 4L80E. I started installing the motor before my trip offshore and plan to continue it some more when I get home. I have most of the parts, but lacking things like front coil overs, headers (need to be 1 7/8 or 2in) crank trigger, pulley setup for w/p alt and vacuum pump and then finish out the dash and lower the truck down a couple inches on the coil overs.

Here it is when I brought it home.

Here is the 305 it had in it.

Here is my progress. I cut out the motor mounts and plated the motor for strength. I also moved the motor back about an inch from where it was mounted before.

Does anyone know the best coil over for these (Extended and compressed height) that is lowered 2inches or so. Also once I throw the coil over on it and get rid of the torsion bars, do they make a shelf header 1 7/8 or 2in that would work with minimal changes? Also, can you put a "dash pad" on top of a bare dash?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Nice welcome to the forum . Looks like we will be doing battle .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

1. Santhuff makes the best coil overs, but they are spendy
2. Not that I am aware of.
3. No.

Nice truck...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome to the site. I too an looking at front coil overs, if you use the search feature there are a few members with different styles. I am still up in the air about spring rates and type of shocks, someone will chime in on their set up. The dash pad does need something to sit on, the metal frame is not enough. There is a few members working on molds for a complete dash replacement. Hooker headers made headers for the LUV but have been out of production for years. Used ones come up for sale here from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:57 pm 

Thanks guys, I hope to make the next race but not sure if I will have it done it time.

I have looked at a couple of the other setups but the ones I have looked at I seen how they where installed but no part numbers on what coil over they actually used. The Hooker headers I seen that they offer for these trucks are only 1 3/4 from what I seen, which is not big enough for the motor. The motor had 2in headers on it when the guy before me owned it but I think a 1 7/8 will be big enough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:36 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have coilovers on mine, and the custom headers have one tube on each side that wraps around the frame. Don't think a big tube header that is in chassis will work off the shelf...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:59 pm 

I guess I will just build a custom set of headers. I ordered my coilovers today so I will be able to set the truck down and remove the torsion bars. Can you run the stock control arms without the strut rod safely?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I tried it, and promptly reinstalled them...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:45 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

very nice 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:33 pm 

is your truck tubbed and narroweed an what size trire wheel combination are you running on the back of it. im just wondering. thank you

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:13 pm 
da LUV masta

Advanced Adapters made a set for small block S10s. It might be worth a shot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:58 pm 

Sorry guys, I got a little side tracked with my new RZR and neglected my LUV. Here is some updated pics from this past weekend.

I started on the cage, and its coming out nicely. I added some bends to bars to make it easy to get in and out (I know it won't pass tech but since the street warrior class already died its going to be a "cruiser")

all laid out.

Main hoop in.

door bar before and after the bends.

Here is building the rear bars. plan is to run a tonneau cover to hide them.

Here is the main halo all welded and gussets installed.

and pushed up into place

I plan on finishing up the cage Tuesday and then installing the 4L80 tranny and fuel system/gauges.

79Luv: The truck is "tubbed" the stock frame was cut and moved in the width of the frame. its on a 10" rim and a set of 29.5x13 slicks but will be run on a 275 drag radial.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:04 pm 

here is how is sits sitting next to my Blazer. you can get an idea how the coil overs make the front end sit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

the luv is looking freaking great cant wait to see it make some passes and see what kinda times it puts down... cage looks really good too, what kinda times are you shooting for?
that red stepside looks an awful lot like the turbo diesel "lil red truck" from the movie born2race

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:16 am 

love4theluv wrote:
the luv is looking freaking great cant wait to see it make some passes and see what kinda times it puts down... cage looks really good too, what kinda times are you shooting for?
that red stepside looks an awful lot like the turbo diesel "lil red truck" from the movie born2race

The motor went 9.70s in my blazer on motor and 8.60s on a 200shot. the luv is 400lbs lighter but has a 4L80 vs a power glide I have in the blazer so I am not sure how that is going to effect the times.

The reason "Lil Red" looks like the truck from the movie is because it is. Its a 78 Lil Red Express that has a twin turbo 12 valve cummins in it, only one like it. The truck is a buddies and I do a lot of the work on it and they flew us out to Hollywood and we drove the truck in the movie. I am in the background in a few shots. It took 4 takes to get the scene where the WRX passes truck at the big end because the truck runs low 10s and the WRX is a 13 second ride on a good day. The script said for the truck to "launch" on the car and the car was supposed to pass him at the finish line but when the truck launched we would just about have to coast from the 1/8th mile for the car to catch it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:58 am 
Addicted to LUV

The truck enters at about 7:30

That's cool.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:30 pm 
Addicted to LUV

thought it looked familiar 8O that is awesome, when i saw the movie i was thinking there is no way a wrx even at 25psi could hope to pull a truck with that much torque :lol: made the truck look like much more of a challenge than the stang, unrealistic or not movie was good. was that mustang pretty much doing thing and dropping throttle 3/4 down the track.

if you can manage to help get that beast down the track i cant wait to see what the luv ends up doing :lol: when are you hoping to have it finished and make some passes?
following this thread :eugeek

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:55 pm 

I am shooting for the end of October. There is a truck race here in Houston and I want to have it there. I have a bunch of parts ordered but still have quite a bit to do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:51 pm 

Here are some from today...

Where the rear bars come in is REAL tight on the side of the truck. It took me 6 hours just to weld the two rear bars in welding through mirrors and such to get the backside. I still have to weld the kidney bars in and the two diagonal bars on the main hoop.

Here are the front outriggers

Here is the door bars ready to be welded in but I have to get a new cup for the tig machine since I stepped on it and broke it today. You can also see the knee bar, I bent it toward the firewall to keep it clear of my legs in case of a wreck.

Here is the rear bars with the x-brace installed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:28 pm 

Here are todays.

Finished up the cage today. all that is left is two kicker bars on the front outriggers but I am going to wait till I finish the headers before I install them.

Here is the picture you wanted boosted. Now you can see why it took 6 hours to weld the rear bars.

Here is the inside.

And the rears with the battery box and bottle bracket.

What cage? don't pay attention to the stance. I have to rebuild the rear crossover for the coilovers to lower the rear.

Now onto installing the O/D 4L80.