LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:05 am 
Addicted to LUV

hotrod80 wrote:
Broke #2 rod coming out of the burnout box as soon as the tires hooked . It found water and filled the oil pan . 36 passes . I beleive it was component failure , as it gave me no signs . Rev limit on the line lock 5500 . Top rev limit is set at 7300 . I was at 6100-6200 coming out of the box and BAM !

Bummer...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:01 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Oh man that sucks...stick old faithful back in. That's my plan if something breaks when I start leaning on mine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The old motor is on the stand and untouched . It had 2 noisy pistons and needed valve springs . The new motor has the same pistons down to the part # . I will probably find 2 good pistons from the wreckage and use the "new" rings with a hone and do a budget freshen up . New inserts , oil pump , valve springs . Probably wont even pull the cam on the old motor . If not finished in time i will run the S-10 on the last few races. If the top end from the "new" motor is salvagable i may try and put it on a 427 dish piston short block .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:45 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

hotrod80 wrote:
The old motor is on the stand and untouched . It had 2 noisy pistons and needed valve springs . The new motor has the same pistons down to the part # . I will probably find 2 good pistons from the wreckage and use the "new" rings with a hone and do a budget freshen up . New inserts , oil pump , valve springs . Probably wont even pull the cam on the old motor . If not finished in time i will run the S-10 on the last few races. If the top end from the "new" motor is salvagable i may try and put it on a 427 dish piston short block .

Hope you get it back together. I have built several stroked 400s. They will hold but you will spend $800 or so getting grout and splayed. My next personal motor I will save up and do a dart block...there is no comparison in strength..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yes , Dart block for sure . Something like this since my topend will work with it .
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/1 ... ck_engine/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:37 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Hate to hear that. What kind of rods were they?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:06 am 
da LUV masta

That doesn't seem right, but over 36 runs I guess you could have hurt it somewhere. I know you have your rev limiter set. Maybe you have some kind of oiling issue. Your spraying it, so that could have also come into play. Backfires can do that, but so can cylinder pressure. When you tear it down a lot of questions will be answered. Sorry about your bad luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:33 am 
Addicted to LUV

The rods are Carillo with the SRS bolts . I was on motor only . and the burn out rev limit is 5500 , I shift in the burnout almost instantly , the shift poiont on the shiftnoid is 6900 , shift light is set at 7100 so if it doesnt shift the light comes on , top rev is set at 7300 . Machinist said this motor should go 8500 and wanted me shifting at 7500 . I just cant rev one like that for bracket or index racing . Old combo i left at 3400 and shifted at 6000 .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:55 am 
da LUV masta

You've done this a few times, and I don't think you are the problem. Sometimes parts just give up. I read that article and what a great build. The engine only has 10 1/2 to one compression ratio. Don't know how that will play out with nitrous. I used to run 13 1/2 to 1 on the street, naturally aspirated, and had no problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:46 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

While whats done is done I would still want to know what caused the failure so soon. The engine in Voodoo has made probably 4oo passes on the same rods and pistons and most of those on nitrous. In fact the first block I was using failed so I put the same parts into a dart block. Carillo rods should be fine, I am running scat rods and crank with jb pistons. Can you post some pictures of the rod and crank?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Well i was wrong #1 exhaust valve dropped for sure . Piston is gone , head will need to be fixed and a rod broke the paasengerside of the block and the pan . Who knows , but machinist wants to tear it apart which is cool , but this is not his fault . It is mechanical failure . Machine work went 36 passes . A valve failed . Photo update :

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:49 am 
Addicted to LUV

A buddy of mine lost a nice 383 to an air cleaner stud.

It sucks, but it happens.

His motor was so new, he got pissed and decided to go through the whole thing and fix it. The machine shop cut him a break on everything and he had it back together in a couple weeks for about 1/2 of what the first motor cost. He's still driving it today and loves it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Photo update. My old motor is torn down and getting refreshed . Iron man Aug 2 and Wally after that . Goals are set the past is gone . :

This broke off and went through this :

Causing this :
and this :
My old motor is getting new rings and inserts and going back together with the newer timing chain and balancer . This will be endof season motor and i will start the 2015 season with it . Almost good to have my "W-2" motor back . I call the newer motor paycheck theif , although i won with it .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Ouch...

And i know everyone talks about Dart block, Motown, etc. But it is REALLY ouch when that happens to one of those...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:12 am 
Addicted to LUV

Put some JB weld on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:33 am 
Addicted to LUV

It could be sleeved with a heavy wall , but im not going to keep it .

And TP that block and piston didnt have a chance in hell against that Carrillo rod and lunati crank . Rod looks like new crank was still great . Head can be saved . ill repair it as time and money allow . Took 2 years to put this pile together .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:14 am 
Addicted to LUV

That really sucks...

When I was a kid my dad had dropped a washer down the intake on our 65 Impala. In typical shadetree logic he told my mom not to go on the freeway. We were going 80 (on the freeway) when it got to the top of the piston. It blew just like you see in NASCAR. The sleeve looked a lot like yours, it is a vivid memory for me.

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:53 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

How much exhaust valve to piston clearence did you have? Just an idea...look at other piston tops and see if you can tell if the exhaust valves were touching. Even if its just enough to slightly knock the carbon off. It happened to me and not all of them were touching. ( I would expect because of slight differences in valve lash and indivual heat in each cylinder.) Long story short is it bumped the valve just enough to unlock a keeper....and well you know the rest of the story. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:20 am 
da LUV masta

Hate to see that, but good to see you've got enough parts to finish the season.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:33 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Dont try to fix the old block. I did that once and spent way to much money on it only to replace the block later with a dart block after I ripped the head studs out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next