LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:59 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Been working on it every night! Wow worked on it untill 12 last night after i got home from college. Well i got a lot done! 8) I got it to turn over yesterday, and fogged gas into the intake (we did this with my bronco II i just needed to get air bubbles out of the lines) It STARTED!!!! For the first time in over 2 years, that 2.9 rumbled to life! :twisted: I couldnt believe it! I did it!!! :mrgreen A 1980 chevy luv on a 1986 ford ranger frame with the 2.9 V6! I was so happy!!! :D I couldnt believe the 2.9 ran as good as it did for not being ran for over 2 years! Didnt Even Smoke!!! and Feels like its strong! :twisted: ...............................................................................BUT i had a problem. I wouldnt run with out fogging gas into it??? I had spark but no fuel??? Well after two days i figered it out! The ECM controlls fuel, the ranger had two fuel pumps a low pressure one in the tank and a high pressure on the frame. Well after testing the relays, taking out the inertia switch (i must of threw it away 2 years a go! dam me! olwell) I just bypassing it. not sure what to do now, i started reading the broncoii/ranger sites and the older 2.9 computers can go bad. But i thought? How i havent used it in two years? Well i pulled the computer off my 89 bronco II (it has a 2.9 to and they are the same computer from 86-90, and 91-92 2.9s but im non sure on those years tho) and i hooked it up and What do you know?! it STARTS and the Fuel pump kicks on and shuts off like it should and EVERYTHING is Great!!! :smt023

I took a video of it running but threw getting down loaded from my email it has no sound? Not sure wy so sorry for that!

Attachments:
0503121925.jpg
0503121925.jpg [ 54.06 KiB | Viewed 9402 times ]
0503121928.jpg
0503121928.jpg [ 48.94 KiB | Viewed 9402 times ]
0503121929.jpg
0503121929.jpg [ 42.88 KiB | Viewed 9402 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:07 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Well the video worked on my photo bucket! 8) :D :twisted: http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33 ... 121931.mp4

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:45 pm 
Addicted to LUV

heck yea man that is awesome! finally got it up and running. now you just need a junkyard ecu and you will be good to go 8)
i really like the paint job the reddish orange looks great with the black should be a fun lil driver.
whats left before it gets its first test drive?

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:57 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Got the ECM today! :smt023 and i love the color! 8) Im pretty happy! and well i dont have to much other than light wiring and finsh the cab wiring. I still have quite a bit of wiring left. but its coming along! 8) :D Were you able to watch the video ok?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

yeah video played just fine. that thing sounds pretty throaty for being a smallish displacement should pull you along pretty good 8)
that isnt bad at all wiring is just so tedious, waiting to see how it looks with the flatbed on and ready to roll

how much did the paint, primer clear etc cost?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:13 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Well i got the flatbed on yesterday, Got the clutch bled and working! Now it moves! But i need to get the brakes hooked up and some other things and then ill start wiring the lights up! I havent had a chance to order my gauges yet so thats not gona be here for awhile.

But For the cost of my paint? Well I got the paint for free, the Paint supplier for my dads shop, gives the shop that buy from them paint/primer. But me and my dad were talking and think that paint was a good $600-800 bucks and the primer we used one gallon and a quart Thats around $300, I would say it was around $1200 bucks, sandpaper, bondo,paint,primer, sandblasting sand. But I only did the cab half the truck. So with your bed it could be double what mine was. But If i was you I would go and get paint from Napa, the napa gold stuff is pretty good! and its way cheaper than PPG. We just got it for free so we got a hell of a deal!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:12 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

brianloveshorse wrote:
But If i was you I would go and get paint from Napa, the napa gold stuff is pretty good! and its way cheaper than PPG. We just got it for free so we got a hell of a deal!

I can't really vouch for the "lasting ability" of napa paint since ive only seen a few vehicles done with it and its only been about a year. The Napa paint looks pretty damn nice. My friend used napa paint and he had them put it in a aerosol can so he could do it at home and he did a amazing job with a rattle can and so far its holding up great. He did overkill on the body work and prep but I think that just made the entire job better.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:38 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

dezrik wrote:
brianloveshorse wrote:
But If i was you I would go and get paint from Napa, the napa gold stuff is pretty good! and its way cheaper than PPG. We just got it for free so we got a hell of a deal!

I can't really vouch for the "lasting ability" of napa paint since ive only seen a few vehicles done with it and its only been about a year. The Napa paint looks pretty damn nice. My friend used napa paint and he had them put it in a aerosol can so he could do it at home and he did a amazing job with a rattle can and so far its holding up great. He did overkill on the body work and prep but I think that just made the entire job better.

My dad painted his tractor with napa paint, and it has held up great. It sits out in the hot summer sun from May untill Aug. It Gets all the wind and rain, and the biggest is its got grease and oil and diesel all over it and it hasn't fallin off yet! its been painted for about 5 years.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:47 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Well got all the wiring done on the left side off my engine bay wow it looks like its ment to be there! 8)

Attachments:
0506122143.jpg
0506122143.jpg [ 42.33 KiB | Viewed 9350 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:37 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Well spent $130 on brakes my rears all new, drum to backing plate! 8) there bled and working great!!! ran it for more than a hour the other day to see how hot i could get it, it got a little hot but put the fan in front of it and it ran cool! :D I really need to start on the cab wiring and get that done!

Attachments:
0508121605.jpg
0508121605.jpg [ 41.2 KiB | Viewed 9330 times ]
0508121604.jpg
0508121604.jpg [ 40.21 KiB | Viewed 9330 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:27 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Well With no fenders, doors or a hood i drove it down to my grandpa's place yesterday and then drove it up and got the mail with it. I love it! lots a power! :D Not V8 by anymeans but not bad at all! 8) I'm very happy with it! I was really hoping to drive it in "lost in the 50s" at the end of the month but I'm leaving in the mornin for Boise for 10 weeks. I was one of 12 picked from 90 to go to Cat school, and well boise is 8-9 hours away so not much is gona get done on the luv for a long while. :( :cry: Which really sucks cuz i just got it runnin! :(

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:49 am 
Addicted to LUV

epiiccccc 8)
you did it man that is awesome. it looks great i bet the bottom end turque from the v6 gets it going pretty good compared to the 1.8
got it all put back together now?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:33 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

O yea with 31's it moves out great! lots of low end power! I got it up to about 35 mph and then had to turn around it moves pretty quick! and No none the pannels on it. I just ran out of time. :( If i had another week, it would of been really close! ill be here in boise for the next ten weeks. I worked on that thing every night untill 10-12 pm every night! but atlest i got it to move under its own power and stop on its own power! 8) I'm happy with it! just plan ran out of time :x :(

Just need to get time to get the lights in and every thing else done! Then i can work on gathering parts for my next project for it! 8) I'm thinking ford 9" rear narrowed and 4.10s or 4.56s but i think ill go with 4.10s, i want to be able to cruize down the highway pretty easy still. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:18 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Well i bought an other Heater control valve from the Pick-A-Part Jalopy Jungle in Nampa, they had 3 luvs all 79s and 4x4. got a couple other things to, can put them on untill next weekend. When im heading back home. I'm really hoping this older one works, i think mine from siting so long with no water in it to lube the old rings just made them go fail and it was plastic and this one is brass and from what i read on here are better. I have know idea where i would find a new one! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:39 am 

i agree with everyone i hope u have good luck with all of this and i would like to see it when Your done

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:53 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Haha I'm not sure what everyone thinks of it on here, I'm sure there are some mixed feelings about it forsure! :lol: But Its my build and Its different! Its not just a slapped together huck of crap ether. Its far from a $500 dallor beater. Its killing me to not be working on it right now! I cant wait to take it to Cali and see everyones faces when i pull up to one of their luv meets! I'm just waiting to see those faces! :lol: 8) Maybe me a "Love4theluv" will team up and head down! That would be funner than heck! :twisted:

In my eyes I see it like any old hotrod/rat rod. They did frame swaps on those all the time. They did whatever it took to achieve that over all goal they wanted. I really dont see why mine is any different. 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:36 pm 
Addicted to LUV

brianloveshorse wrote:
Haha I'm not sure what everyone thinks of it on here, I'm sure there are some mixed feelings about it forsure! :lol: But Its my build and Its different! Its not just a slapped together huck of crap ether. Its far from a $500 dallor beater. Its killing me to not be working on it right now!

I cant wait to take it to Cali and see everyones faces when i pull up to one of their luv meets! I'm just waiting to see those faces! :lol: 8) Maybe me a "Love4theluv" will team up and head down! That would be funner than heck! :twisted:
heck yeah man. im saving the $$ for my engine build, getting close now that my other stuff is paid up, just takes time building something on a mcdonalds budget :p i was thinking going down to the donut derelicts show LUV TRKR posted about in socal when its done. plenty of people from the site along the way to stop in and say hi to and shoot the luv bull breeze a while

In my eyes I see it like any old hotrod/rat rod. They did frame swaps on those all the time. They did whatever it took to achieve that over all goal they wanted. I really dont see why mine is any different. 8)

i dont see that being different at all you wanted a v6 4x4 that looks like a luv... so you build one that looks like a luv with what ya had on hand.. and it turned out pretty sweet. and it gets down the road, for a chev body on a ford chassis that alone is an accomplishment lol...
im keeping mine all GM but im getting olds bravada axles and t-case, s10 blazer engine/trans, eventually a m90 off a buick etc... keeping something original is all fine and well but its the unique ones that get noticed.
like a 350 swap... sure it would be boss in a straight line, but i would rather have a Supercharged V6, AWD LUV with front and rear limited slip (bravada axles) than another sbc 350/th350 luv anyday... too many twisty mountain roads in the PNW to just wanna go fast in a line...
think wayy outside the box... old school pontiac gangster movie sedan... but lightened a bit sitting on camaro running gear... would be sweet right?? sure some people would say its blasphemy but who cares it would turn heads everywhere it went :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:55 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

love4theluv wrote:

heck yeah man. im saving the $$ for my engine build, getting close now that my other stuff is paid up, just takes time building something on a mcdonalds budget :p i was thinking going down to the donut derelicts show LUV TRKR posted about in socal when its done. plenty of people from the site along the way to stop in and say hi to and shoot the luv bull breeze a while.

I think it would be funner than heck dude I'm game if you are! :lol: :twisted:

Quote:
i dont see that being different at all you wanted a v6 4x4 that looks like a luv... so you build one that looks like a luv with what ya had on hand.. and it turned out pretty sweet. and it gets down the road, for a chev body on a ford chassis that alone is an accomplishment lol...
im keeping mine all GM but im getting olds bravada axles and t-case, s10 blazer engine/trans, eventually a m90 off a buick etc... keeping something original is all fine and well but its the unique ones that get noticed.
like a 350 swap... sure it would be boss in a straight line, but i would rather have a Supercharged V6, AWD LUV with front and rear limited slip (bravada axles) than another sbc 350/th350 luv anyday... too many twisty mountain roads in the PNW to just wanna go fast in a line...
think wayy outside the box... old school pontiac gangster movie sedan... but lightened a bit sitting on camaro running gear... would be sweet right?? sure some people would say its blasphemy but who cares it would turn heads everywhere it went :lol:

I had a 92 subaru turbo that was AWD and holy cow would it move! And grip the road like no other! i loved the car! when that boost hit it threw you back in the seats! So a 4.3 with a M90 and the all wheel drive axles would move! it would be different! but thats the goal to turn heads right? :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

turn some heads, break a neck or two and make a lot of guys in hondas feel really really dumb.. :lol:

if there are any drive-in shows going on around there it would be cool to make a few stops along the way.
i have a brother in phoenix so i may end up wandering down there as well and trying awd out in the desert :twisted:
gonna have to build myself a new speaker box if there is going to be a roadtrip going on :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:11 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Well its been a while since i posted anything. havent got anything done! But i had to move my camper so i could move it today, and my foks had the dodge. So my luv got to pull my camper over to the shop! No problems what so ever! (Its been 3 weeks since i started it last to)

Attachments:
0714121749.jpg
0714121749.jpg [ 49.78 KiB | Viewed 9154 times ]
0714121750.jpg
0714121750.jpg [ 48.72 KiB | Viewed 9154 times ]
0714121750a.jpg
0714121750a.jpg [ 50.32 KiB | Viewed 9154 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next